_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Most hated/ Favourite part of finishing(poll)
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 05:26 PM UTC
Dear friends,

we build AFVs because we love them! This is meant to be a open poll...

Here goes...

a) Which is your favourite step of finishing the kit (building, priming, base color & camouflage, washing, chipping, final flat coat and weathering)?

My personal favourite step is when the flat coat is up, doing all that weathering and "mud"

b) Which is the step you dread most? (building, priming, base color & camouflage, washing, chipping, final flat coat and weathering)?

I simply dreaded pint -washing or wahing in any form- you have to persist for many layers to see the effetct

Of course, some modellers may differ in steps, please feel free to add them in...

Cheers
Music
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 05:30 PM UTC
My favourite part is doing all the streaking and weathering, both of which I am still learning on each model I build.

The part I dislike is washes. Now I am getting better with this after gloss coating my vehicles first, but still.......

Darryl
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 05:47 PM UTC
Favourite step: building.
Most hated step: washings and sometimes drybrushing, but I think I will start giving up using this tecnique...
Tordenskiold
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 05:51 PM UTC
Favourite: Building

Most hated: base color & camouflage
redgonie
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 05:56 PM UTC
brakes of railcars!!!!!!!
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi guys.

if washing is such dreaded chore? is there any easier way to wash or to subsitute it with efficient techjniques?

I use thinned oil paint and turpentine, which looks good when wet- but normally becomes flakey when dries (hence the wash breaks up into pieces of sepia/ black flakes rather than thin dark lines (grime)...

any way out?

Music
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 07:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most hated: base color & camouflage

I agree with Jan- sometimes 3 tone camou can really get difficult, esp when I need to go thru several times to define the outline of the camou with thinned paint .

propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 07:32 PM UTC
My favorite part is the actual upper hull and turret assembly.

My dreaded part is individual track link assy.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 07:43 PM UTC
My least favourite part is decals. Not because I find them hard to do ... but its a step that can really make or break a model.
Eventhough I use the same steps and have become confident with that, each manufacturer´s decals has their own little quirks like; ... how long to you steep them for ... some seperate immediatly ... some need a longer time in the water ... some should be only dipped and left to the side for a minute ... etc. Some decals are thicker than others, some set better, some have better/more adhesive, some have more carrying film ... theres always an unknown quantity. I usually remove something like the kit name or some other piece that Im not using, and try this first on the bottom just to get an idea of what to expect.

Washes on the other hand, Ive only had problems when using other thinners than Humbrol enamel thinners. The paint/pigment seperated .... as described above. Using Humbrol thinner and Humbrol paints or oils, I never have a problem. Recommend you guys try this to see if theres a difference!!
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 08:08 PM UTC
My least favorite part is right after applying the base coat and or camo, and then spraying it down with future. Just hate to see a tank all shiny like that.
Favorite part though comes when I'm DONE and applying that final flat dusting overcoat over my FINISHED model!
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 08:08 PM UTC
Favorite: Washing, streaking, weathering, etc. Covering up boo-boos while actually enhancing the final look.

Not so favorite - painting rubber-rimmed road wheels. I have tried several methods, and find that, on any given tank, probably 85% of the wheels will look good, 10% will look not so bad, but not good, and one or two very prominent ones will look like one of my cats did it by holding the brush in her teeth...maybe the missing row of roadwheels on the much maligned Tamiya Panther A is not such a bad thing after all

Least favorite - Adding decals. If there are three markings to be added, I can almost always count on the second one going on a little crooked, and after racing to get the third one in place (not), the second one will resist all efforts to straighten, adjust, or cleanly remove it.

Guess that's why I like doing KV's - steel road wheels, minimal markings, got driven in lots of mud and dust
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 746 posts
Armorama: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 08:23 PM UTC

Most hated: Washes and weathering, it's a make or brake thing for me

redleg
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 08:33 PM UTC
hey,
most enjoyment would be the painting.followed by the build itself.

least favorite clearly the decals!,even after going threw all the steps,shooting it with clear gloss,ethier the decals don't react to the setting solutions,or fall off after they've dried,and even when you think everythings going to work out,you finish off with the clear flat coat,and that dries,the clear film around the smaller decals or writing(slogans) is visable,good thing we have the options of loading up a vehicle with branches,tarps,ropes/chains,sandbags,fuel cans,ive used some dry transfers thier good as long as its a flat surface,but problems occur with rivets, bolts,hatches.etc;

Joe
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:09 PM UTC
Decals
I've just spent THREE hours putting the decals on a Tamiya Centaur turret
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:16 PM UTC
Favourite parts are always building the kit and doing the base coat, camouflage and transfers.

I usually get bored during the weathering process as a whole (chipping, washing, drybrushing, pigments etc.) so these would be my least favourite

James
Gunfighter
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 274 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:18 PM UTC
I really enjoy building up through basecoating and camo . I tend to bog down when it comes to decaling and washes only because of mentally being afraid of messing up the build.

I find weathering difficult because I'm still learning the techniques and I'm not quite sure I've got the eye for appropriate wear & tear. But, practice makes perfect.

I do have to say that putting that final flat coat on really puts the icing on the proverbial cake!

- Frank
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 09:28 PM UTC
Favorite: The building

Least: Probably the weathering/painting, which is such a many-step process for me that it becomes something of a chore.

Oh, one other thing....someone else mentioned how he hates how the kit looks after shooting the future on it....I kind of like that look! Makes it look like an indoor museum piece! But then I do like how you can take that and weather and dull it back down just like a real one. It's just such a process that I prefer the building of the kit.

Rob
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC
Favorite: The build. I enjoy seeing the form come together from so many bits and pieces.

Dreaded: Weathering. Because I'm not any good at it. I can build a really good factory showroom tank, but I need lots of work to make it look like it's been outside for a day or two... I guess that means need to keep getting more kits so I can continue to practice and refine my skills...
zokissima
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:43 PM UTC
Favourite part: building.
Most dreaded part: detail painting and filtering.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:49 PM UTC
Favorite, the build, with the exception of road wheels. I seem to recall that Admiral Nelson once said something like when he died "lack of frigates" would be found cut into his heart. I think with me it will be "Road Wheels!"

Can you guess what is my least favorite? I hate cutting them off the sprue, sanding them, painting them, and installing them. They are one main reason I've never attempted a Churchill, WAY too many road wheels.

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a) Which is your favourite step of finishing the kit (building, priming, base color & camouflage, washing, chipping, final flat coat and weathering)?

Mine has got to be when i have already applied the flat coat and is just dry brushing the corners to give it a really nice weathered look. To me thats when the kit really starts to shine!

Quoted Text

b) Which is the step you dread most? (building, priming, base color & camouflage, washing, chipping, final flat coat and weathering)?

Painting the wheels for the tanks. Im sure this sentiment is shared by many.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 04:21 PM UTC
Favorite: The finishing, and knowing when to stop. (as I personally prefer lightly weathered models, unless I'm actually following or trying to reproduce a photo in 3D.) Also I'll list as a favorite is adding the little details to a basic kit.

Least Favorite: The prep work, filling sink holes, knockout pins, flash etc.
Big-Daddy
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 05:02 PM UTC
I have to say that I really enjoy the entire process from deciding what subject to build, the researching and learning of the subject, the build itself and trying to incorporate the various research elements into the subject. But I especially enjoy taking what I’ve constructed and turning those raw bits and pieces into a meaningful representation of a machine from the past and hopefully a meaningful piece of three dimensional artwork .

The best compliments are those that come from folks that know nothing of WW II tanks or model building, but if they see one of my tanks will stop and ask if that thing is really made from metal.

The exception to that happy place, road wheels!

Rick
swingbowler
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 162 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 05:22 PM UTC
I have to say that my level of enjoyment depends on the amount of progress in relation to time spent.
My favourite part will be using my silver colour pencil to create bare metal spots on the afv or plane.
My most disliked part is decals! There is so much waiting time! Presently struggling with brittle decals on my D520.
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 07:18 PM UTC
Like: Building

hate: indy links that come on sprues (cutting and cleaning over 200 of the same pieces is not exactly what I call big fun :-) )
 _GOTOTOP