_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
REVIEW
Masterbox 1/35th Soviet Infantry
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 09:24 PM UTC
This is the first of three linked reviews of a series of figure sets which will be available in the next few weeks - in 1/35th scale, WWII Soviet Infantry in Action, 1941-1942. The figures are produced by Masterbox Ltd, whose products are featuring a lot these days - and with considerable justification. The full review of this (soon to-be released set) can be seen:

MasterBox Soviet Infantry Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 09:30 PM UTC
They look nicely animated and should look good painted up in future dioramas.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 09:55 PM UTC
The lack of shoulder boards and the turned over collars makes them pre-1943 (ish) which is nice as early war Red Army figures are v rare in plastic. Even better that they've got rifles and not more PPShs. Not entirely sure about the carrier for the DPM mags on the waist belt - looks like it might be fun to run with.

How do the figures rate on the size scale - are they Tamiya style midgets or Alanger giants?

David
4x4RockCrawler
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
Jim

I believe there was a matching German set and a Russian/German hand to hand set. Was this the only set reviewed so far or are the other reviews buried in the forum?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

believe there was a matching German set and a Russian/German hand to hand set. Was this the only set reviewed so far or are the other reviews buried in the forum?

I'm working on the other two as I speak - the German set should be up tomorrow then the 'mixed' set - 2 Russians/ 2 Germans

Then perhaps, the U.S:M.C. and U.S. Infantry...Who knows?
4x4RockCrawler
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 03:36 AM UTC
That's fantastic news Jim. I read the other thread at Nuremburg showing the new Allied set and the fancy MG team. Exciting stuff.
zemzero
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 09:03 AM UTC
It's nice to see some figures in action, instead of standing around. Can't wait to see the other two kits. I have to hone up my figure painting skills for these.
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 03:22 PM UTC
Jim,

First, I must say you did a really nice review. Normally, the figure review looks like the armor review, not taking in account the figure field specificities (poses, combination, etc..). Taking several pictures with different angles of build figures is exactely what I expect for a figure review ! Well done mate, keep it up !

Secondly, regarding the figures in themselves. From what I can seen, I have to agree (but I cannot say like you "the best head ever produced in plastic") that they seem to have greatly improved the facial expression of their figures !!! The shouting guy is well done. Funny to see there is still problems with the fitting between the head and the helmet..as for me it's not a terrible obstacle !

The multiposes is a genius idea. Since Airfix we didn't see any multipose kit of figures. When you're not a beginner and specially with plastic figures (you usually don't take the risk with expensive and beautifull resin figures), your pleasure comes from converting these figures. And it's always welcomed to have the opportunity to fill your spare box with the rest of the kit.

I particularly like the guy hitted by a bullet. I doesn't like the officer poses. But from what I can see of your pictures, the figures seem to have a problem of fitting between the hands and weapon. But anyway I guess it's not a problem since they are multipose...
Best to all and good job Jim,
Julien

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 03:30 PM UTC
Definately keeping my eye on these, particularly looking forward to the 'close combat' set review. Great to see company's striving to produce better kits too!

James
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 05:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I can seen, I have to agree (but I cannot say like you "the best head ever produced in plastic")

Thought this might raise a few eyebrows

Let me explain where I stand on this one. At Nuremberg, I had a couple of VERY interesting meetings with the MasterBox team. Also, I was given a magnifying glass and invited to inspect the faces on a variety of the new sets. The truth is, for plastic heads, they are EXCEPTIONAL. There has been far too many plastic heads released which are devoid of ANY kind of animation. The photos don't unfortunately reflect it, but yes, IMO the ARE the best plastic heads currently available However, good as they are, there are even better ones on the way:

This is the forthcoming set : 3525 - "Skatspieler" a simple little vigette of four German mechanics playing cards. The truth is, the expressions on THESE figures have to seen to believed.--
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 07:54 PM UTC
These look great ! Its about time a company like this put out some in-action combat poses. Jaguar tried it in resin a few years back, but the prices were raher high. Masterbox had found an easy solution for that

Any word on when these will be out in the States, Jim ??

Cheers !!

Robert
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 02:29 PM UTC
Robert, expect them within a few weeks...
 _GOTOTOP