_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M7 Priest to Sexton Conversion Question?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 03:57 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any information or plans that might help in converting the M7 Priest to a Sexton?

Many thanks

Al
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 04:31 AM UTC
While they were similar in concept, the M7 and Sexton were completely different designs. You would only be using the chassis. In any case, the Italeri suspension is a very late type with the raised return roller arm, so even that would likely need to be replaced. There may be a resin kit currently available, though offhand I cannot say for sure.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 05:43 AM UTC
I've built the S Model kit. Very nice kit-nothing in common with the Priest. The CDL track is the toughtest link to link track I've ever done as it fits so tightly. I also replaced part of the gun assembly with parts from a Tamiya 25 pounder just because I could. Still debating to go with the Mickey Mouse or not.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 06:18 AM UTC
How to turn an M7 Priest into a Sexton? Place the Italeri M7 Priest onto your shelf, order a Resicast or SModel Sexton from Resicast or Jadar. When it arrives, build it.

LOL

Really -- almost nothing is shared other than the chassis tub.

18Bravo: Mickey Mouse was used only on light armored vehicles and softskins. Not Sextons.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 01:22 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Right I'll pass that along. Just have to wait until Bronco or Academy bring one out

Cheers

Al
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 09:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just have to wait until Bronco or Academy bring one out.

You know, about a year ago I'd have said "Don't hold your breath", but given the excellent items we have seen produced/announced from the Commonwealth vehicle stable over the last little while a Sexton isn't anywhere near as unlikely as before.

Let's see, who used them?
UK
Canada
South Africa
Portugal
Ireland
New Zealand
Poland

How long in service? 1943 - 1985?

I dunno, a pretty broad spectrum of choice there. Implying absolutely no hint of rumour or prior knowledge on my part, this would seem to be a perfect Bronco kit, wouldn't you think? I'd hate to have Academy butcher it on their Lee chassis (unless they make some changes to that kit for the Grant [I hope, I hope, I hope]).

Paul
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd hate to have Academy butcher it on their Lee chassis (unless they make some changes to that kit for the Grant

I hate to say it, but I'm afraid I can not recall even one example of Academy ever correcting one of their kits mistakes, along with Tamyia. It seems that only Dragon and Trumpeter have ever attempted to do this. Even more so the resin manufactures could take a tip on revising some of their molds after mistakes are pointed out, much easier for them to revamp a bad or incorrect mold, but they all seem to have a "don't give a crap" attitude.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate to say it, but I'm afraid I can not recall even one example of Academy ever correcting one of their kits mistakes,

I tend to agree, but there have been some rumours to the effect that Academy might be retooling parts of the Lee prior to releasing a Grant.

As a case of "hope never dies" and "old dogs occasionally learn new tricks", I live in hope, but like my Dad says, I'll probably die in despair... :-)

Paul
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:47 PM UTC
Alan, don't go teasing us with the thought of Academy/ Bronco bring out a Sexton. Even if Academy does screw it up I hope they get the CDP right. I shall sleep dreaming of a Bronco Sexton.
Doug
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate to say it, but I'm afraid I can not recall even one example of Academy ever correcting one of their kits mistakes, along with Tamyia. It seems that only Dragon and Trumpeter have ever attempted to do this. Even more so the resin manufactures could take a tip on revising some of their molds after mistakes are pointed out, much easier for them to revamp a bad or incorrect mold, but they all seem to have a "don't give a crap" attitude.

You know, Tamiya did fix the assymetircal turret on their Tiger I series. That says a lot. And you might say that by retooling their 70s era line (TIger I, Tiger II, StuG III, Pz III, Kubelwagen, Schwimmwagen, Panther G, Pz IV H/J, Wirbelwind), they definitely reignited the 1/35 genre.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Paul I'd agree this would be an excellent kit for either Bronco or maybe Tasca!!!!.

They could throw in a Tilly and a new Bedford and I'd go out onto the road and dance a gig :-) :-) :-) :-)

With all these new ACs on route, a Bailey Bridge and the 40mm Bofors from Italeri I'm looking forward to this year a lot.

Sometimes dreams do come true!!!!

Cheers

Al
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, they did--their first release of the M4A2 (76) Russian Sherman had a too-steep tailplate on the upper hull, and they actually revised it before releasing their M4A2 (75) US Marines Sherman. So there is hope. Their screwed up suspension on the Lee has left them with considerable egg on their faces. The error was introduced just so they could reuse the Sherman spring part, an incredibly cheap, shortsighted move. Every review cited it, and mulitple manufacturers released correction kits to fix it, and I suspect they may actually fix that before their Grant comes out. I do not expect them to retool the entire hull, though.
 _GOTOTOP