_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need recommendation for replacement tow cable
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 09:27 AM UTC
I am building Tamiya's 1/35th scale Merkava tank. I completed assembly and as the last step was installing the tow cable. Well, in an attempt to bend the cable so that it would conform to the turret basket, I broke the kit piece in two places. The piece is a total loss.

Does anyone know of a good replacement aftermarket item. The kit piece is to brittle to bend around the turret basket. An aftermarket wire cable may work if anyone knows of one.

Thanks in advance.

Brent
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 09:38 AM UTC
Try Eureka XXL...lots of different cables that may work for you.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 09:50 AM UTC
You can always use household materials like string or picture-hanging, stranded wire. Look around a bit before jumping on the aftermarket prices. Chances are, you will get 4 feet of picture wire for the same price as 8 inches of the very same "After-market cabling" and it does the same job, looks right and it goes a lot longer. Just snip the ends off the kit part and replace the cable itself with the picture wire.

H2H,
Cuhail
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 09:50 AM UTC
Karaya or Aber might have them as well.
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 09:52 AM UTC
http://www.airconnection.on.ca/Default.htm

Go to ACCESSORIES and then click on the Eureka logo.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 08:35 AM UTC
Picture hanging wire is definitely the way to go. Take your broken bit to the hardware store and pick out a piece with the same characteristics. When you get home, cut the tow loops off the kit part and drill them out. Insert the picture wire and you're done.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 04:50 PM UTC
I'll go an even cheaper route, simply find so good old fashion copper wire, {Stranded) take a new blade, and run it along the length needed, and remove the wire, it's normally already twisted, and simply drill out the kits end connectors and CA in place. Remember the larger the wire number, the finer the wire. Two feet of 14 or 16 zip wire will give you 4 feet of stripped wire. Most cheap ass extension cords are 14 or 16 gauge wire, and we usually have a few of them broken or worn out ones laying about. (Why men save these is still beyond me, they really do not repair themselves hang in the garage or shed) Don't forget, it the wires too stiff, just pass it quickly through a candle flame to soften it.
goose
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 06:08 PM UTC
I use nylon twine, the kind used by builders for marking out & plumb lines etc, i think its pretty much to scale and is easy to work with.
Shturmovik
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Picture hanging wire is definitely the way to go. Take your broken bit to the hardware store and pick out a piece with the same characteristics. When you get home, cut the tow loops off the kit part and drill them out. Insert the picture wire and you're done.

I tried matching picture wires to 1/35 T-34 Tamiya kit's stock plastic wires and they are almost 2 times thinner. Are all picture wires the same thickness? If so, are they too thin for 1/35 scale tow cables?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:37 PM UTC
Scratch Made Cable

Here is a GREAT way to scratch make your own. I've used this a number of time with great success, for tow cables and rope.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:41 PM UTC
I Second the "twisted copper wire" method. a good 14 /16 Ga cord yields alot of cable.......... fix the end in the vice chuck the other in thr cordless drill..... and away ya go!!
ViperAtl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC
Or if you want to get something really neat that is multi stranded wire and easy to work with go here: http://www.smallparts.com/

They have all sorts of neat stuff.

For cables, go here: http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/mcx.cfm

You can find all sorts of sizes to fit your needs. I have the Type 304 cables in 1/32 and 3/64, good for light/med and heavy duty cables. The cables are not stiff and are easy to work with. If you need to 'stiffen' them just add a bit of super glue. Once painted and weathered they look like real cables because of the multiple strands of wire.

The only down side is that the shipping charges are a bit high so get your club buddies to join in a buy a bunch.

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I tried matching picture wires to 1/35 T-34 Tamiya kit's stock plastic wires and they are almost 2 times thinner. Are all picture wires the same thickness? If so, are they too thin for 1/35 scale tow cables?

No, they come in at least 3 different sizes/thicknesses. I use a 'medium' (though I doubt this is a universal size!) for my tow cables and it works perfectly.

James
Shturmovik
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No, they come in at least 3 different sizes/thicknesses. I use a 'medium' (though I doubt this is a universal size!) for my tow cables and it works perfectly.

James

Thanks for the FYI James. I'll have to look into this abit more.
 _GOTOTOP