_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Aberdeen Proving Ground Crusader - any pics?
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 03:32 PM UTC
The Aberdeen Crusader III seems to be very camera-shy, does anyone have links to pics of it or suggestions for published works containing them?

David
Brigandine
Visit this Community
Dunedin, New Zealand
KitMaker: 553 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:04 PM UTC
Can't find anything in google under 'crusader tank aberdeen proving grounds' (found this, if it's of any use http://svsm.org/gallery/crusader)
The US Army Ordnance Museum http://www.ordmusfound.org/have started posting photos on their site as a slide show which is changed monthly. Chances are the Crusader will turn up.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:21 PM UTC
Hi Jeff

The Ordnance Museum site has one tiny pic on the photogallery page, below the nicely repainted R-35, but it's not linked to a larger version. I'll keep an eye on the site and see what turns up. Thanks.

BTW there are more pics of the Littlefield Crusader II on Toadman's site, including some mind-expanding ones of the bent remains of the mechanism for the sunroof. Still puzzling over them.

David
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi David,

I have a bunch of pictures from there that a friend of mine gave me. I will take a look at them and see if there are any Crusader pictures in with them. I haven't looked through them for awhile so this will give me an excuse to do so.

I will let you know if I have any or not.

HARV
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hi David,

These of any use? Photos from Bovington Tank Museum

Cheers

Al

HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:44 AM UTC
Sorry David,

I looked through my pictures and no luck. I wished I could have helped.

HARV
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 07:07 AM UTC
Dave, I'm down in Aberdeen now, planning the museum on Sunday before heading north again. I look for the Crusader III, and take a bunch of photos for you.

If anyone is looking for particular phtos, post it here before Sunday Morning NY Time, and I'll do my best to take some for you.
mikeo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 04:24 AM UTC
Sorry dude! I just got back from there or I would have taken a few for you.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 03:49 AM UTC
Sorry Dave, I was told that the Crusader III has been moved in doors, and advanced requests are needed to set up a tour. So maybe next visit, I'll try to arrange a tour. I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked, but the old body gave out after being on my feet Friday afternnon, and most of Saturday. I'll post what photos I took to a Gallery as soon as I can.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Dave, I was told that the Crusader III has been moved in doors, and advanced requests are needed to set up a tour. So maybe next visit, I'll try to arrange a tour. I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked, but the old body gave out after being on my feet Friday afternnon, and most of Saturday. I'll post what photos I took to a Gallery as soon as I can.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you taking the time on my behalf. Hope you're felling better today.

Al - mmmmm A13s - I must be strong and not splash out on resin tanks

David
OPS_clown
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 04:58 PM UTC
It Just so happens that I am scheduled for a tour on Wednesday. A group of us are heading down for professional development (2 guys in the office are armor modelers)

If I see her, I will take some snaps. The digital camera is going to get a workout! hopefully the weather doesn't turn south (like it is calling for) because I want to get some shots of outside pieces. Being military, I am sure we can come up with a plan to distribute the picture taking duties...between US, German, Russian, etc. vehicles, and then swap pics at the end.

I am REALLY excited! (plus it is a day out of the office!!!)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 06:44 PM UTC
It was sad to see the condition of some of the outside items, but at least some effort is being made to move more and more under protection. A lot of the cement pads were empty.
 _GOTOTOP