Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Wheels and Tires
kirk1313
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 06:51 AM UTC
I am in all the way! Now I finally have an excuse to build that BHD humvee dio! Anyone know any good sets that can easily be converted to the Rangers in Somalia? Thanks.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 07:07 AM UTC
DML actually does the Rangers in Somalia. Theyre nice figures too. Try them.

Gary
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hey Gary, can you post an image of these figures? I have Their Delta Force Somalia '93 set, and I have the modern US Rangers (which would need slight modification on at least on figure). I havent heard of the Rangers set in Somalia.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gary, can you post an image of these figures? I have Their Delta Force Somalia '93 set, and I have the modern US Rangers (which would need slight modification on at least on figure). I havent heard of the Rangers set in Somalia.

Kevin, the Delta Force Somalia Figures were the ste I was referring to. The Delta Force set are Rangers. But not all Rangers are Delta Force. Know what I mean? the normal Dragon Rangers are kinda rough. I bought them once too, but never did anyything with them.

Gary
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 08:36 AM UTC
I understand now Gary, thanks. I just thought I had missed a set somewhere. I actually built the Delta set not long ago. The Rangers arent too bad, but no appropriate really for a Somalia/BHD setting. Not in action poses, and the grenadier has night vision which they left behind on that mission. And they all have hats rather than helmets, but thats what a spares box is for.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand now Gary, thanks. I just thought I had missed a set somewhere. I actually built the Delta set not long ago. The Rangers arent too bad, but no appropriate really for a Somalia/BHD setting. Not in action poses, and the grenadier has night vision which they left behind on that mission. And they all have hats rather than helmets, but thats what a spares box is for.

Just to let you know, some Rangers did bring along NVGs, however, like you said, most didn't. Once the second convoy rolled (the large one), nearly everyone had them because they had been able to refit for the second run.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 03:03 AM UTC
For decent Ranger figures suitable for a BHD dio you're going to have to do some kit bashing and perhaps even sculpting. Currently there are no Ranger figures on the market appropriate for Somalia. You will need to scratch torso's wearing ranger body armor or try and convert some existing torso's. Best bet would be to use figs wearing IBA's and work from that. Blast models also do 1 figure wearing the latest type of body armor, could buy several of that fig and chop the torsaos off-rather costly....

Ive ordered 3 AFV club strykers, which will hopefully be here in the next week or so. Once they arrive I can churn one out, and hopefully complete a campaing for once. Nothing fancy just an OOTB stryker! Can be doing with any scratch built slat armor-too much effort! lol
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 09:46 PM UTC
Well we are about ten days out from starting and we have 20 members enlisted in the campaign. Its good, but I know we can do better . So I hope everyone is ready to start modelling! I'm thinking about buying me one of the Strykers - probably the AFV when it releases - and taking a shot at it.

And for those reading this and considering doing joining the campaign, please come on in. Believe me, its a good change of pace from building a tank!
Kilroy
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 08:12 AM UTC
I'm in, with Tamiya's 2.5 Ton 6x6. It's been "next" on my list for quite some time, but kept getting pushed back behind others for one reason or another - now I'm out of reasons!
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 08:27 AM UTC
Excellent Tom. If you haven't built one before, you surely will not be disappointed. I'm not a fast modeller (I have a humvee "in progress" for about a year), but from start to finish, I got mine done in a couple days. It is a beauty to build, and I'm tempted to get another....I'd almost say they are as addictive as humvees!

Anyway, welcome to the campaign and best of luck modelling.

Jeff
plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 309 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 06:41 PM UTC
well gents I'm in this one, 3 campaigns in one month. I should do alright,
I have a stash in my room about 15 feet high so my chances are real good I'll find something to fit this one.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 03:36 AM UTC
Well we are officially open for business! Feel free to post in progress shots here or in your own posts. A campaign gallery has been established, but please limit it to only completed entries

Wheels and Tires All the Way.

As a side note, I just realized how redundant the title of this campaign is. I think I made it up at 3 in the morning before a project was due. Oh well.....

I'll have an award ready soon to show and gather suggestions.

Jeff
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 11:02 AM UTC
Im already on my way. Unfortunately work is taking me away from the table this weekend, but I got a start on my BTR-70 yesterday. If I feel extra motivation strike me, I may also turn my build into a review.
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 03:18 AM UTC
Is there any chance of turning the M925 into a dump truck? Or the M923 bigfoot?
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 01:51 PM UTC
I believe Hobbyfan makes a dump truck off one of those trucks. Its all resin and expensive, but it is all thats out there outside of scratchbuilding.

Jeff
dbaumi60
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi to all,

I'm in either with Italeri 1:72 DUKW or with Tamiya 1:48 Krupp Protze.

I am not sure..

Much fun for all.

Dirk
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 09:37 PM UTC
I just opened the box on my BTR-80 from Zvezda and have done some initial clean up.

It will be build straight from the box, but with some extra decals of "Caucasus" (Chechenyan war?) BTR-80s. I got from them from a Russian modelling magazine.

More to follow later as construction moves along.
dbaumi60
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 09:21 PM UTC
Hello gentlemen

now I'm sure,I will build the VW Schwimmwagen Type 166 (Tamiya 1:48)
I will build oob.

I hope you all will be patient with me, cause it is my first model after long,long time.

About the Schwimmwagen:
Even during the early development stages of the Kübelwagen Type 82, Dr.Ferdinand Porsche recognized the potential of a re-worked amphibious version.
The Type 128 test vehicle built in November 1940 resulted in the short wheelbase amphibious military vehicle Schwimmwagen Type 166 completed the following summer. Featuring a water-proof chassis and a rear mounted air-cooled 4 cylinder 25hp 1.130cc engine, the Type 166 was capable of top speeds of up to 80km/h on ground. Whilst in water, the vehicle maneuvered by a screw propeller and was capable of speeds of up to 10km/h. From 1942 to 1944, more than 14.000 Type 166 were produced. Used for reconnaisance and liaison duties across all fronts the Schwimmwagen earned the trust of both German soldiers and officers. ( Tamiya )

Best wishes to all

Dirk

Removed by original poster on 06/05/07 - 18:27:29 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 06/05/07 - 18:28:57 (GMT).
dbaumi60
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:34 PM UTC
Here pics of the kit..

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:31 AM UTC
Looks interesting, Dirk. A nice kit to start up with, if you have been gone from the hobby a long time.

Hope you have fun entering the hobby again
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:13 AM UTC
Glad to see the interest and the people starting up. Curious, what was the schwimmwagon used for since it seems to me - and I'm sure I'm wrong in this - that there was not a huge need for an amphibious "jeep" once the possibility of an invasion of Britain was realized?

Jeff
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 02:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just opened the box on my BTR-80 from Zvezda and have done some initial clean up.

It will be build straight from the box, but with some extra decals of "Caucasus" (Chechenyan war?) BTR-80s. I got from them from a Russian modelling magazine.

More to follow later as construction moves along.

I'll be very interested to see this one build up, as Im doing the BTR-70 from Zvezda, and have my eye on the -80 to build soon. Good luck with it Jesper. The -70 is going together beautifully so far. Im actually surprised how well the parts fit, better than a lot of DML I have built
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:26 PM UTC
I'll be building a pink panther (maybe an ambulance too). It's going to be my first softskin...
Does anyone have any advice on the vehicle? What to correct, what color to use, etc? Any help is greatly appreciated.