_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M110A2 Heavy Self-Propelled Gun 203mm
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 04:28 PM UTC
I have just completed Italeri’s M-110A2 203mm Heavy Self-Propelled Gun.

This is an easy kit build as all parts are contained on two sprues and the tracks are the rubber band type. Overall fit of the kit is tight, with the only real sanding/clean-up work needed on the two piece barrel. Usually I’m a straight out of the box builder, but even I couldn’t handle the thickness of the hatch grabs so they were replaced with wire. The barrel tie downs are masking tape and thread.

I finished this model based on a web photo of a vehicle that looked like it had seen better days. It appears to be parked in a Reserve or Guard unit area somewhere, with a very, very faded overall olive finish, a minimum of markings, and the gun tube tied down with cables. The vehicle appeared pretty rusty in the bogie/track link areas, and was pretty grungy looking all the way around.

I used olive drab overall, varying the finish by lightening the base color in the flatter areas. Multiple shots of various browns, rust, and dark washes were finished off with steel highlighting on raised areas. I did not apply the kit decals since I did not see markings on the actual vehicle photo.

I’d recommend this kit to anyone interested in doing something a little different that doesn’t take a lot of time or money. It was fun.

Helpful comments are appreciated.

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 04:33 PM UTC
Lord WWH, My Friend, My Brother.

WHat can I say, looking mighty fine. I especially like all the detail paints, the fire extinguiser, the subtle yet very effective weathering.

I love those OD SP-Guns, Dad's regiment used to have a battery of those. they are very neat.

Good work. Lord WWH, My friend, my brother.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 04:34 PM UTC
Impressive build. That is one big gun. Open top reminds me of the poor gun bunnies in the 8th ID Divarty who rode around on that thing in the winter time with no canvas.
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 05:05 PM UTC
SteveWWH,

Hey man, you did an awesome job on the M109. I like the color scheme you have done. One word: Perfect.
We do love OD, let's do more OD!

Steve, Sushi and Pig #6

Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
Very, very nice...gotta get me one of those.
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 05:44 PM UTC
Damned nice work. I love all the detail you have put into it. The fire extingusher looks great, and the weathering is wonderful.
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:11 PM UTC
Yea u can c the little weathering details.
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 07:04 PM UTC
Very nice W.W.H.
Clean build with good weathering technique. Good clear pictures of this beast too. :-)
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 09:59 PM UTC
Ahh...gotta love the artillery!
VERY nice build, this beast offers plenty to look at!

Keep it coming!

Respect!

Toni
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:49 AM UTC
I've got one to be built and looking at your excellent piece I'd like to build it too straight away...
Bravo!!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Excellent paint work WeWillHold. I love the olive drab and the worn/faded brown colour. What colours did you use for this? I saved all these pictures for a reference for the future. I think this effect has been carried off 100%. Is the mesh included that you can see through both sides or is this something that you have added? Even the kit tracks look good. I am tempted to buy this model now!
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What colours did you use for this?

Plastic:
The base olive drab is by Badger Model Flex. Subsequent shots on the flat areas of the chassis were the base coat olive drab, lightened with Model Master Acryl Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943 mixed in. That is, (1) I painted the whole model olive drab, (2) then followed with olive drab lightened with the dunkelgelb on the flat chassis areas, and (3) one final shot on the high spots with the lightened mixture, lightened even more, by some additional dungkelgelb.

Weathering included Badger Model Flex Roof Brown drybrushed with steel. Badger Model Flex Rail Brown delivers the more rusty looking color on the bogies.

Quoted Text

Is the mesh included that you can see through both sides or is this something that you have added?

I can't take any credit here Plastic. These grills are "as is" molded from the kit. I painted them with Tarnished Black model railroad paint first, and then lightly drybrushed the tops of the grills with "steel"--this appeared to enhance their depth.

I appreciate the these comments, and the comments of the other respondents. Thanks.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:02 AM UTC
Beautiful piece man. And if I read it right you basically built it OOB with only a couple of minor modifications? WOW ZOW
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
Thanks wewillhold! The paint work really brings this kit to life. You should be very happy with this. I think i will have to buy this kit. It looks really good. Its something different as well. Are those the kit tracks? It goes to prove that Italeri are not all bad!
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:57 PM UTC
Your attention to detail is awesome bro!!!! No matter how many times I look at the pics something new pops up. OD is sexy!!!!

PS: Looks like spring is here. Got DA THUMPER out yet?
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:24 PM UTC
WWH,

Too gnarley, awesome paintwork and the drybrushing is way too cool to get all the little bits to pop like that, are you gonna put it in a scene or just sort of sit it on the shelf and admire it from affar? I gotta get some more SPG's, too many subjects not enough time. See what you cause!
Manchu34
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 361 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 05:02 PM UTC
Well, done. Excellent weathering. Love the way it gives live to your model. If I read you write up correctly, it is a OOB model.

Just goes to show that you don't need all the aftermarket accessories that are available to make a great model. All it takes, is the knowledge, skills, patient, and the determination to build a good looking model.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:00 PM UTC
:-) I like it that much it almost (almost) makes me want to build armour stuff. :-)
Verrrrrry nice WWH :-)
Mal
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 12:53 AM UTC
Looks real Good!! WeWillHold nice job very good weathering not to much but just right. Sweet. tin Can if you want one better hurry has I have heard they are going OOP soon.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And if I read it right you basically built it OOB with only a couple of minor modifications

Blaster---yes, other than replacing a couple of hatch covers with wire, and the gun tube cable hold downs this is the Italeri kit right out of the box.

Quoted Text

Are those the kit tracks? It goes to prove that Italeri are not all bad!

Plastic-yes they are the rubber band kit tracks. They do have a number of pin marks however.

Quoted Text

OD is sexy!!!!

Jeepster-----you "DA MAN"!!!

Quoted Text

are you gonna put it in a scene or just sort of sit it on the shelf and admire it from affar?

Jay, it will sit by itself collecting dust like the other 40 or so :-)

Thanks for the comments.
Steve aka WeWillHold
kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:26 AM UTC
Fantastic paint job. You did an excellent job on this unusal subject. You did an excellent job detailing the tracks and the track pads. This makes me want to run out and do this monster arty piece. Thanks for sharing.
 _GOTOTOP