Land Rover ideas?
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi all,

I'm thinking about a Land Rover project for a friend of mine based on the old Italeri or Tamiya kit. He kinda loves 4x4 and the Land Rover Defender family. I'm not really familiar with these vehicles but I'm looking for something like this one:

Any information on these kind of armed Land Rovers would be most welcome. Reference pics, hints & tips, ideas or even greater looking LR versions....all would be welcome!

Hope you guys (and girls) can get me up to speed with this one.

Thanks!
Martin
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:35 PM UTC
Check out the Accurate Armour link and then the Land Rover selection. Their is 5 different versions available, although that exact 109/110 version belonging to the Royal Irish regiment is not among them.

The closest (very close) to that one in your picture is the SAS Desert Patrol version available through the site.

Keith.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:36 PM UTC
I suppose you could try and scratch a Defender out of a Series 3 but you'd have a job on your hands. This very issue has been discussed many times here on the forum so do a search to find out what has been said. The real solution of course is to buy the Accurate Armour's SAS Land Rover 110 which is the vehicle in your picture.
Photobucket
http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=14&subcategory=173&product=1985
As for pictures there as a lot, again search here and Missing Lynx as well.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
There are a lot of Land Rover enthusiasts here so you should have no trouble getting started.
Bill
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:01 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'd like to keep this one low-budget however so no Accurate Armour kit Too bad cause those kits look really sweet!!

Let's ask it in a different way. Is i.e. this Italeri kit a good base kit to build a probably not 100% accurate but nice looking vehicle? And if build OOTB, what time frame does it fit in? Was it used in Iraq or Afghanistan more or less like this, or during earlier conflicts?

(This is a Landrover Defender right?)

Thanks,
Martin
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:56 PM UTC
The Italeri kit depicts a Landrover 109 Series II from the '70s outfitted for service in N. Ireland . It is not a modern Defender 110, as you posted in the pic above. These have not been used in Iraq or Afghanistan. They were replaced by newer versions (up through the Searies III and 110 Defender as used today).
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:33 AM UTC
Ok clear. So the only 110 series are available from Accurate Armour?

Thanks!
RomeoKilo
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 01:10 AM UTC
Ive always wanted to throw on another axle and do one of these.

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC
Never seen that before, interesting
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. The real solution of course is to buy the Accurate Armour's SAS Land Rover 110 which is the vehicle in your picture.

Not quite. The SAS Land Rover has a separate driver cab, and loading bed (the bit with the WMIK for the Milan/M19/.50 cal mount.). The SAS version also sports a front mounted winch, jerrycan and oil racks at the side, and a Stinger box mount on the rear. The vehicle in the picture is the 'standard' Land Rover 110 Defender XD with WMIK. Accurate Armour do one, kit no. LR003.

AA kit of the SAS Land Rover. Note the gap behind the seats.

AA kit of the Defender with WMIK.

As for the Tamiya kit(s) , the chassis and rear of the kit are not bad, but you will need to bring the radiator forward, to fit flush with the front of the wings. The bonnet is the right shape, but needs to be lengthended to fit. The wings are pretty much the right shape, and if you are going to cover the vehicle with stowage, it would be a good base kit. Don't forget that the Defender is in essence only an upgrade of the older Land Rover...

Cheers
Henk
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 09:57 AM UTC
Henk
You have a good eye and the experience of the builds to boot, I stand corrected.
Nice modelling by the way, I have both kits but I'm afraid to begin them, I've never seen so many bags of resin crammed into those small AA boxes.
Best
Bill
PS
Ray didn't some one here scratch the 6 wheeled Aussie Rover? It was either here or over on Missing Lynx.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:06 AM UTC
Very cool models Henk, nice job. I've only ever built Tamiya's SAS 'Pink Panther'. Your pics make me want to do more Landies.....

Here's my SAS Pinkie which is the same LR 109 type that Gino noted above. Quite a bit different from the 110 Defender but the lineage is there......

Bob

Removed by original poster on 03/25/08 - 22:32:19 (GMT).
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:35 AM UTC
My offering as well.
Photobucket
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 10:52 AM UTC
Thanks Bill and Bob,

Bill, the Accurate Armour kits are not for the beginner, nor for the fainthearted. But I don't think you fall under either of those categories, so all I can say is, open the box, start at the beginning of the instructions, and take your time. It helps if you have the room to lay out the sprues in the right numerical sequence, and leave them whilst you're building the kit. Use thin CA glue, it works a treat.

jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:27 PM UTC
Hey Bill,

Quoted Text

didn't some one here scratch the 6 wheeled Aussie Rover? It was either here or over on Missing Lynx.

Yep its was on ML. Done by Greg Knowles.And I have it sitting here in front of me waiting for me to finish a few other projects before I get into it.

Cheers Jason
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:33 AM UTC
I recently read an article about a model Tamiya 'Pinkie' and the comments about it as given by an ex SAS chap who crewed one of them during it's peak in service time.
Sad to say, Tamiya evidently based it's model on a Land Rover Marshall's company presentation one and in reality it was not used as shown by the SAS but more so by the Infantry Recce platoons, painted in the standard Black/Green guise as released in the Italeri offering.
The SAS Pink Panther version evidently wasn't stowed as seen in the kit and the SAS themselves stated the rifle stowage containers were very rarely, if ever used..I will try and locate this informative item as the chap provided a great deal of information about how to alter the kit to resemble the actual SAS in use standards.

Series IIa 'Pink Panther'...

In 1968 The MoD bought 72 Series IIa 109's, officially known as Truck, General Service, 3/4 Ton, or FV 18064, which they had adapted for use by the British Army's Special Air Service (SAS) in the desert.
These vehicles were designed for long distance reconnaissance and special operation missions.
Previously they had been using the 88 inch Land Rover for their operations and in the late 1960s they were looking for a bigger load carrier.
In 1968, Marshalls of Cambridge were commissioned to convert a 109 inch Land Rover for desert duties.
Four fuel tanks allowed a capacity of 100 gallons to be carried.
Heavier duty chassis, springs, sand tyres, guards to the diffs and a specially mounted spare wheel were also fitted.
The doors and windscreen were removed.
Equipment included a general-purpose machine gun, anti-tank weapon, rifles, grenade holders, smoke canisters and navigation equipment such as a theodolite and compasses.
When fully loaded with fuel, weapons, and other kit, the vehicle weighed in excess of 3 tonnes.
They were delivered in standard bronze green, but many were repainted in a hand-mixed pink colour, which at that time was believed to be the best camouflage in the desert.
Hence they soon became known as ‘Pink Panthers’.
Although the Series IIa version is the most famous, similar vehicles based on the Series III 109" and 110 vehicles have also been used.
In the Gulf War the 110 versions proved invaluable, as they even outperformed the specially equipped Hummers.
So much so, that the US Rangers have also procured 110-based vehicles for a similar role.
The nickname of "Pinkies" stuck on them even though the new ones are no longer painted in that colour.

Keith.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:44 AM UTC
Jason
Are you implying that you are going to tackle a resin 6 wheeler for Mouse House? That is of course after you're done the Bushmaster right..?;o)
I never did see the finished 6 wheeler, did Greg ever show it completed anywhere on the forums?
Good to hear from you again
Bill
Henk thanks for the encouragement. I've had the AA kits out a number of times, looked them over and put them away but seeing yours built up so nice and tidy it makes me excited about them all over. The probelm is I want a Defender 1:1 but we can't have them here for some reason.
Thanks
Bill
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:52 AM UTC
Ok guys thanks for all the information!

I think I will just build one of the SAS kits. After all my goal is to build a neat looking heavy armed all-terrain vehicle which doesn't have to be completely accurate. A nice representation will do and the Tamiya and Italeri kits make this possible.

Thanks again,
Martin
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jason
Are you implying that you are going to tackle a resin 6 wheeler for Mouse House? That is of course after you're done the Bushmaster right..?;o)
I never did see the finished 6 wheeler, did Greg ever show it completed anywhere on the forums?
Good to hear from you again
Bill
Henk thanks for the encouragement. I've had the AA kits out a number of times, looked them over and put them away but seeing yours built up so nice and tidy it makes me excited about them all over. The probelm is I want a Defender 1:1 but we can't have them here for some reason.
Thanks
Bill

Bill.
IF you happen to have one of the initial run kits with the white metal chassis that has to be assembled, that put me off as well.
I have been building Accurate Armour kits for many years and admit, I failed to embrace these items and had attempted to assemble them several times.
While trying to compress the suspension by using the supplied jig and inserting the springs, I found a third hand was esential. needless to say, it didn't work for me.

I found out that AA. replaced these White metal chassis rails and parts with fully assembled Resin ones in later kits and softer coil springs. I obtained (free) two sets for my two kits along with some updated instructions.

If this is the case with yourself, that may help you.
I shelved mine for later assembly and bought the SAS. DPV and built that one instead.

Keith.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 01:46 AM UTC
I was going through some stored files and I found these, perhaps they'll be of some interest.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 01:50 AM UTC
A few more
Photobucket
Photobucket
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 01:56 AM UTC
Bill.
As you can see and as I mentioned in my comments, the rifle stowage containers are not fitted at all...

Keith.
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 02:17 AM UTC
I do see what you mean but this is much later, these are Defender 110's not Series 3 are they not? I suspect there were many units with differing needs. By all accounts these vehicles were purpose fitted for the task at hand were they not? I'm not saying you are wrong about the gun boots, I'm just saying that the situation was fluid and one might find a picture of a pinkie in action with them or without.
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 03:28 AM UTC
G'day Bill,

Quoted Text

Jason

At this stage it wont be on the list for production for some time. We have far to many other projects going on (ASLAV's ect). However, thats not to say that in my spare time I dont start playing with it.
Greg got it up to about 70% complete and I will finish off the rest of it. He did have a photo of it once on ML, so I will ask him if he doesnt mind a few new pic's put up.

Cheers Jason
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 04:00 AM UTC
Jason
Excellent! I know that this vehicle, (what is it really called?) really stands out, very innovative and really says Aussie adaptability. Goes to show why people love the Rovers, you can adapt them to suit your needs. WhenI was in Queenstown, Tasmania last year they had a Defender that was adapted to work both on rails and wheels for a tourism drive from Queenstown to Strahan.
http://www.puretasmania.com.au/default.asp?pID=49
Look forward to the photos.
Bill
 _GOTOTOP