_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Bocage diorama - In progress photos
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi everyone

been a while since I posted anything work in progress, that wasn't either a Sherman or part of one !

This is diorama... for a Sherman !

I am keeping back the full view ready for when it's finished as there's a few surprises up it's sleeve, but I thought I'd share with you the work in progress hedgerows.

there is still a lot of work to be done - none of the earth bank will be visible when it's completed. It is all made from plaster, built up over a styrofoam base with my usual mix of tissue and PVA to form a rigid shell onto which the plaster was stippled. Hedgerows are a mix of materials, from roots and scouring pad to the now ubiquitous seafoam.

Ivy is the ever-common birch seeds hand-glued into place one at a time and hand painted

there's still a WHOLE LOT to be done.. 3 x hedges. each one is taking weeks, so there won't be any sign of the sherman for a while the window of my modelling room makes a nice backdrop for a few of the shots but overall they're pretty scrappy on-the-bench shots... "combat" shots if you like

here goes...

thanks for looking

Jon
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 02:18 AM UTC
wow great start!
keep iy up Jon

Martyn
Afroman
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 02:28 AM UTC
great work jon can i ask how you made the bushes/trees??
and keep up the great work!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC
Your written cues were key. I think you're on the right track with all of it.

Do I see a feature coming?
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi Jon, I live in the french countryside and i think you have got it right on with this.
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 06:34 AM UTC
Awesome start! Congratulations!

Keep those updates pics coming!

Cheers!
rogula
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 02:37 PM UTC
Looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hi Jon,

Great start, i especially love the muddy roadwork. The bushes are not bad either, but i have problems with the synthetic foliage you put on the hedge , especially the right one.
If i am right you took a normal green coloured one and sprayed it to another colour.
Jon, i tried the same thing recently and i hated the result, so i will not tell you that i love yours

Cheers
Claude

youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 07:39 PM UTC
Everything looks fine and realistic to me so far Jon. The other groundwork also looks great, i.e the drier top of the bank compared to the muddy bottom.

You have also made good use of those birch seeds, which is something I want to try out soon.

Chas
BigJon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jon,

Great start, i especially love the muddy roadwork. The bushes are not bad either, but i have problems with the synthetic foliage you put on the hedge , especially the right one.
If i am right you took a normal green coloured one and sprayed it to another colour.
Jon, i tried the same thing recently and i hated the result, so i will not tell you that i love yours

Cheers
Claude

Hi Claude

no I did not spray anything. I have 2 colours of the small foliage which I bought at ScaleModelworld last year.

Shame that you do not like it so much, but I am happy with it and it gives me the effect of small leaves, so I will not be changing it. Besides, that would involve a lot of work I am eager to avoid
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 09:03 PM UTC
Ok, Jon,

it must be the photos than, i must see it in person probably. (or a close up of it)
It really looked like my failed effort. Sorry!

Jon, Do you have some thym over there in your region?
I must say that i am very pleased with the outcome of my efforts with it (see my Clervaux post) and it would be a nice addition and variation to your hedges.

Cheers
Claude

lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jon,

Cheers
Claude

personally, its really good, something i would strive to achive
BigJon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 09:33 PM UTC
I think the photos being squashed into the message board size doesnt help. perhaps you should look more directly at the image it would show up better in it's own window.

Thanks for all the other comments though guys. The dio has only just started "going green" the majority of the work is in the shape of the base, which you can't see yet it's a surprise. The major hurdle was getting a smooth enough finish around the outside without using a plastic edging.

Claude, I've seen the thyme method you used and find it interesting, I don't know whether I can get hold of any but if I can I will definitely give them a try.

mclen69
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hi Jon

Really fantastic hedgerows, going to keep an eye on this one, been wanting to do something similar myself, to go with my Tamiya 6 Pounder I've recently finished.

Where did you get the seafoam? I have some Woodland Scenics Fine Leaf Foliage, but its very pricey.

Looking forward to seeing more

Mark
viennant
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 05:03 AM UTC
I Really really like the hedgerows you've made. Can you give a simple 1-2-3 building plan for "The Hedgerows in Jon Hayward Way"?

Bye,

Wijnand
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:30 AM UTC
Nice work so far Jon i can see this being a very nice looking dio when complete,i like the variation of the foliage within the hedge,nicely done.

Steve
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 04:30 PM UTC
Great work Jon, think it's come out fantastic so far! Will be sure to follow this, as you've got my interest with the hints and 'more to come'. Nice work!

Cheers -
Tim
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:58 PM UTC
Jon, is it?
Hi, and that's some nice bocage you have going there! I like the intense construction of the packed earth. You haven't lost track of the fact that it is the heavy roots that holds everything in place in these hedgerows. Your base layout shows the towering presence of the hedgerows without domineering the scene due to the smaller sections. Easier for viewing too
Good stuff mate
Brad
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 09:16 PM UTC
Hi Jon

Your work is excellent. I too and joining the list of those looking at doing hedgerows. I am looking at doing it for a Panther in waiting but have been stuffing around waiting for the gumption to do it. Your hedgerow looks awesome. I will also look forward to any tips or hints you have.
BigJon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 09:22 PM UTC
wow thanks for all the interest and comments guys you have made me feel much more confident about my methods now.

perhaps when I am finishing off the third part of the hedge I will get some shots to put together the guide on how I do it. until then, thanks for the confidence boost, I need it for the next part - grasses, weeds and shrubs to cover the dirt bank!!

cheers
Jon
BigJon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:47 PM UTC
hi everyone

just a quick update - it's a come a long way since the first shots, and it's looking a bit more "bocage-like" as there is no earth bank left visible. I am roughly 40% of the way across the first of the 3 hedgerows, experimenting as I go. hopefully hedgerows 2 and 3 should be a bit easier now I am better drilled in their construction!!

Here go the photos:

there are numerous different techniques involved, all of them done "On the cheap" so to speak. Hoping to pick up some more foliage material of different types and textures this weekend from the IPMS show in Telford !

thanks in the meantime for everyone who commented ! much appreciated

cheers
Jon
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:14 AM UTC
Mate, you are really capturing the variety of foliage very well. Everything from the grass placement, to the erosion is superb.

Chas
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 03:47 AM UTC
Whoua The vegetation is really outstanding
More pictures please
Cheers
Seb
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 04:23 AM UTC
One word: OUTSTANDING!

The vegetation looks magnificent.

You could easily pass that for a real photo w/ a good background added.

Keep up the (great) work.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 09:40 PM UTC
Excellent work Jon. You captured the look well... very natural and realistic. Good work with the tracks in the mud also.
 _GOTOTOP