_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Hobby boss AAVP7a1 WIP
Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 05:13 AM UTC
That is awesome!

BTW the vehicle is also called a "Track" or "Amtrack" for Amphibous Tractor.
Crewchief
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Kieth

I want to sincerely thank you for posting this WIP, I am a few steps behind you on my own and studying your WIP is helping me greatly. May the time come I can contribute to other members as well.
Crewchief
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC
I am building the same model now, the pin marks you refer to are the only ones I have found that have to be covered so far.
Crewchief
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 04:08 AM UTC
My friend who served on several of them said they always either called them "Tracks" or "Amtracks"
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 04:47 AM UTC
I've seen the full article in SMMI: great work!
frank1833
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I would like to do is an amtrack from the Battle of Nasiriyah with the US Marines.

It wouldn't really be accurate for an OIF 1 AMTRAK. I believe all that went north had EAAK armor on them.

Yes. My buddy, who was an amtracker like me, was at Nasiriyah. He has countless photos showing their AAVs with EAAK mounted. All plain NATO green, not tri-colors like the rest of the AAV.

Good job on the diorama.

Nicknames I remember when I was an 1833: amtrac, vehicle, AAV, hog, pig, track, grunt oven. Don't recall any Marines calling them "tuna boats," though (I was in 1995-2001). Must be a WW2 thing.

Keep apricots and products containing apricots off of them.
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 10:40 AM UTC
Hey Frank, most "Tuna Boat' drivers, riders and wrenches would be unaware of the moniker applied to them by the real men of steel, aka MOS 1811/1812 Marines. And to ALCON it is Amtrac not Amtrak(a train) Mike sends . . .
frank1833
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Frank, most "Tuna Boat' drivers, riders and wrenches would be unaware of the moniker applied to them by the real men of steel, aka MOS 1811/1812 Marines. And to ALCON it is Amtrac not Amtrak(a train) Mike sends . . .

Ha, ha! Mike. But where would those tankers be without the grunts in amtracs covering all their blind spots? Not to mention the combat engineers riding in amtracs who make the way safe enough to travel for the mighty tanks?

Some of the best ops I participated were with tank companies, though. We came along as grunt/CE transports to support a company of Abrams. Awesome sight to behold and those guys are always excellent hosts (amtracs "rely" on the unit they support for chow, fuel, etc.; grunts always sucked at it: "You mean you guys need fuel?").
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 03:29 AM UTC
Howdy Frank, I started life as a 03 "walkalot" and have fond memories of being bused around on a Tractor instead of having to hump there. You are right that the grunts have a different mindset about support. I remember an Infantry Company Gunny bringing my platoon five 5gal fuel cans in the dark one night for resupply. My Platoon Sergeant asked him "What am I supposed to do with this, start the tanks on fire?" And once you get them Crunchies educated you get chopped to another company and start the learning process all over. "Tanks' for the reply. Outta here, Mike sends . . .
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 03:32 AM UTC
Howdy Keith, you have put together a really nice piece. The vehicle and its cargo is great . The setting and figures are telling some history too. Great job. Outta here, Mike sends . . .
DirtyTracker1833
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC
looks good so far, i spent a few years on the AAVP7A1, where do you find something like that, i would like to have one to go with all my Iraq stuff. Aprox. how long is the hull on your model? give me a rough guess, like the length of your hand, or longer than your keyboard, i dont need specifics haha. and the "gunners platform" as it was put is called a basket, if you are going for authentic. hit me up via e mail if you have any more questions, blackandkrome@yahoo
DirtyTracker1833
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 08:28 PM UTC
seeing as how incredibly detailed these things are, does Hobby Boss make an Up Armor kit for Rammers? i would like to build one and send it out to my old crew chief as well as make one for me haha! he has cancer and i know that being able to gaze upon the beauty that was the "Flying Pig" (fastest track in the platoon) once again would really cheer him up.
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

seeing as how incredibly detailed these things are, does Hobby Boss make an Up Armor kit for Rammers? i would like to build one and send it out to my old crew chief as well as make one for me haha! he has cancer and i know that being able to gaze upon the beauty that was the "Flying Pig" (fastest track in the platoon) once again would really cheer him up.

I am sure that Hobby boss pretty much make every version of the Amtrack now it would be just a case of find the correct one for you

HTH

Keith
grunf
Visit this Community
Genova, Italy
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 10:50 PM UTC
First at all, Keith very nice built and display. I use your topic for asking help.

I would like to built a AAVP7a1 with the engine compartment open during a overhauling, do you know where I can find pictures to use for scratchbuilt it?

Thanks in advances
ciao
piero
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 - 11:03 PM UTC
Great looking build and dio. There's nothing like a "Tuna Boat" with a bunch of "Crunchies" running around. Looking forward to getting a copy of the mag.

Tanks
Andy
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 12:33 AM UTC
Keith,great achievement there !
The whole dio is a real delight. BTW Where did you get the Saddam statue ?

Olivier
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 01:16 AM UTC
thanks guys for the comments

the statue is from Verlinden and is still readily available.

This has already been published in SMMi but I will have to dig out the exact issue.

more pictures of the finished diorama can be seen here

happy modelling

Keith
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
Awesome work!! Very inspiring
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 05:48 AM UTC
Keith
Outstanding work. The pictures are great showing all of the details you put in. Keep up all of the great work. Looking foward to what ever your next project is.
Tom
Platycqb
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The turret

I have replaced the rings around the turret with P/e from Real model as the kit is done as solid squares. The turret is the only thing wrong with the kit as it requires quite a bit of filling and sanding.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Would you have the reference from Real Model for the PE turret rings?
I have an AAVP-7 on the bench currently and though I can live without the Eduard set, I'd like to replace the blobs moulded by Hobby Boss.
And quite frankly, I dare doing those by hand with a wire...

And if anybody else has a tip for aftermarket parts to replace those, you are more welcome to join!

Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP