Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Quad Gun Tractor WIP
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 01:13 PM UTC
Great work Brian, really looks the part.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 01:57 PM UTC
I like the paint! I didn't know that this kit was sold with the trailer and the gun. I looked for just the gun and found I could get the whole set as cheap as I could get just the 25 pounder and trailer for. Now I can have 3 Quads to paint incorrectly!

If you haven't decided on the canvas yet, I really liked the way Vallejo 70314 Canvas from the
Panzer Aces Color Set No. 2 (Ref. 70123) came out. I lightly dry-brushed it with Vallejo Stencil 70313 (I believe it's just plain old flat white). The mottled effect is straight out of the bottle. Nothing else except thinner was added. The piece hasn't been weathered or otherwise treated. The white is a bit intense right now, but will be more subdued after it gets a wash applied. I would think it's available as an individual bottle.

One thing I've been thinking of is how to replicate the side fuel filler recesses such as the solid green Quad has earlier in your thread. I wonder if anybody makes that as an after marked product. It isn't in the Eduard PE set. I don't think of myself as a rivet counter, but once I've seen it on the real things, it seems a glaring omission. Have you given any thought to adding them?
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 05:24 PM UTC
Hi Jim,
Thx, The canvas top will be weathered here shortly. Your look fine right now.
As for the fillers, there was not enough information to place them on the Quad. I bought soild round stock for that reason and was going to scratch build them, so I might build a rear rack instead.
I've not see an aftermarket for the fillers, the Quad does have a PE set that replaces the rear fenders, adds diamond plates the inside, front bumper replacement, etc.

Thx again.

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim,
Thx, The canvas top will be weathered here shortly. Your look fine right now.
As for the fillers, there was not enough information to place them on the Quad. I bought soild round stock for that reason and was going to scratch build them, so I might build a rear rack instead.
I've not see an aftermarket for the fillers, the Quad does have a PE set that replaces the rear fenders, adds diamond plates the inside, front bumper replacement, etc.

Thx again.

I gotta ask this about the PE set: Did you have any success with the floor mounted rifle holders that fit between the seats? I made a mess of the first one and the Carpet Monster ate the second. I'm going to try shaping the rest under this thing since a regular magnifier wasn't good enough.This beast has a boom that allows travel forward and back about 24 inches.

[/URL]

I have another one of these with the same travel forward and back, plus side to side. It also has a video camera feeding a monitor. I'm trying to get that one lined out. I have a couple other microscopes as well that are QUITE handy at times. A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do!
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC
Brian,

Done good brudda! I can't tell from the pictures, but the right hand side door handle area will need to be filled in with the paint....missed that when the tape was on.

Jim's canvas color will add a very nice contrast....and it looks "proper" to my color-blind eyes...

Mike
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 03:18 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
I misunderstood reply before this one about the PE's. No PE's were harmed in the construction of the Quad. OOB project. I do plan on doing another one with the PE's in the future.

Hi Mike,
Thx you sir. Some touch up is needed still, but it's minor. Door handle noted. Jim's canvas is alittle darker then the MM. It would add a flare to the Quad. Almost like the crew lost theirs in a sand storm and found a different one.

BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hey Gang, Still working on it. Minor touch up, add a rolled tarp to top. Thoughts?

Paddoh
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 11:08 AM UTC
Hi Brian,

I think your doing a splendid build here and thank you and the group for sharing a lot of interesting information. Was recently, last week in fact, taken with the character of the British 25Pdr Field Gun & Quad Gun Tractor kit by Tamiya at my LHS, Ace Hardware with two aisles of hobby products, and could not leave without it. So, when I ran across your build I started to school. I’m waiting for two packs of Eduard’s PE they’ve ordered for me and when it arrives I plan on starting my Quad project.

Thanks again for your build log. Big help. Now returning to your thread.

By the way, like your idea of possibly changing the canvas cover to an open position.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hi Patrick,
Thx for the kind words, and your welcome, glad I could help out in, hopefully, making your build go has smoothly as this one has. Paint been the bump in the road.
The Eduard PE's will help out alot. Looking forward to seeing it.

Thx again for watching the blog, school's not out yet.

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 07:55 AM UTC
The Quad with the 25 pounder kit just arrived. I sure am glad you mentioned it! I got it for a really great price and the accessories, the gun, and the trailer were worth the price of the kit alone!
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
Good to hear. Have fun. And thx for the imput during the build.

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
Brian,

Rolled Canvas it should be. Looks good...use your lead foil for the canvas straps. And, now that the top (potentially) is open, relook your inner compartment....it'll be seen. From what I recall, not much would be needed inside....jus' a wee bit'o in there.

Oh, if you want, and swing this way again, I have that PE fret of straps/buckles.....easy to find two in the set that'll make do.

Mike
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC
Nice work Brian.
Paddoh
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 06:27 AM UTC
Hi Brian,

Found out about Capricorn Publication’s website yesterday which has a new booklet on the Morris Commercial C8 Quad. You may want to take a look if you don’t know about this. There is some color information that maybe of help and some camouflage showing the Mickey Mouse ears. Anyway, thought you and the rest of the group maybe interested.

http://www.capub.eu/AW03E.html
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 07:02 AM UTC
Pat,
Yep, I've been meaning to get that book. It was reviewed and came to my attention by a fellow poster. It buried in this thread inbetween Pg. 1 and Pg. 2 I think.

Thx for the remider though. It's on the "Things to get." list.

diogan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC
Lookin' good! It's nice to see someone other than myself who still hand paints everything. I added this kit (or rather the kit with the 25pdr. Field Gun) to my stash a while ago and just opened it up today... thought I'd do a search on here to see what other people had done and found your post.

Not sure whether I'm going to attempt the MM camo pattern or not... it's very tempting.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 05:28 AM UTC
Thx, Adam.
And Welcome to Armorama.

diogan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 05:38 PM UTC
How is your Quad coming along?

Mine is moving along quite nicely (it's a relatively quick and simple build, I think).

Here's a crappy cellphone pic:

BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hey Adam,
Looking good. Had a chance to pick another Quad up at the LHS, I passed for the time being.
Anyways, Not much happening with it right now. I've had other things that have come up so it on the back burner for now. Hopefully after I get things squared away, I'll get back to it.

Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi Brian,

The quad looks great with the Mickey Mouse camouflage. I prefer the rolled canvas roof cover as it makes the model more unique. Have you any plans to further personalize the model? I want to see this parked next to a camel.

With all the quads under construction, someone should allocate unit and vehicle numbers. That way, when everyone meets in person, the group could form an artillery battalion!

-Doug
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC
Doug, Love the Camel idea, classic.

I think a buzzard sitting on the muzzle brake of the 25pdr. and one of the gun crew aiming it with his .303 Enfield would be an idea also. I'll have to play around with that idea alittle.
Good to see your still around.

Damraska
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think a buzzard sitting on the muzzle brake of the 25pdr. and one of the gun crew aiming it with his .303 Enfield would be an idea also. I'll have to play around with that idea alittle.
Good to see your still around.

Thanks. The stories of my demise were somewhat exaggerated.

About two weeks ago I was hiking on a local beach and found a harbor seal carcass covered in very satisfied buzzards. I could imagine a few buzzards hanging around a vehicle if it sat idle for a while and there was a tasty treat nearby. I see buzzards quite often in the wild but they are normally very skittish. However, if there is food nearby, they are greatly emboldened.

How about making a Tree of Woe? That would be awesome!

-Doug
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 04:51 PM UTC
Doug,
The Tree of Woe, sound like something you'd find on the plant of Endor. I do like the idea.

Thx.
Damraska
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 05:09 PM UTC
It's a reference to Conan the Barbarian. Conan attempts to confront Thulsa Doom at his mountain of power but gets caught. Thulsa Doom orders Conan crucified on the Tree of Woe--basically a big, ugly tree in the middle of a wasteland. Vultures start showing up shortly thereafter.

I can imagine the Quad moving at night and parking under a tree to gain some protection during the day. When the crew wakes up in the morning, they discover they've parked right under vulture central. I leave it to your imagination as to why it is vulture central.

-Doug
adamsmasher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a reference to Conan the Barbarian. Conan attempts to confront Thulsa Doom at his mountain of power but gets caught. Thulsa Doom orders Conan crucified on the Tree of Woe--basically a big, ugly tree in the middle of a wasteland. Vultures start showing up shortly thereafter.

I can imagine the Quad moving at night and parking under a tree to gain some protection during the day. When the crew wakes up in the morning, they discover they've parked right under vulture central. I leave it to your imagination as to why it is vulture central.

-Doug

Man, I love that movie... and there's not even a whiff of WWII-era armor in it.