Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Miniart Dio Campaign
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
Today's the start! Everyone still asleep?

Here's what I will be entering with, as soon as I get my table cleared a bit...

I will add two softskins to that and at least two figures, probably three.

Cheerio!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 01:34 AM UTC
I'm waiting for better weather............ OK Just Joking!

I'm actaully waiting for my package to arrive, as I decided to pick up one of the smaller Miniart sets, and will work from there.

A Happy New Year to all the other Miniart builders.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
Okay here's what I'm starting with

I'm going to pick up another of the same kit and build a bigger church ruin loosely based on this old methodist church near where I live.

Ambitious I know
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC
Okay time to break open the box. I'll built the first kit out of the box and extrapolate (my new word ) the rest of the building from that.
Inside the box are Miniart's generic building accessories sprue and three sheets of vac formed plastic with the walls of the building

One thing straight off that I don't like is that the window frame doesn't look very church like so I'll be looking for a solution to that. Now to break out the sandpaper and start cutting the pieces out and cleaning them up.

How is everyone else doing?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still waiting for the mighly lizardUSA to deliver my stuff.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well... I downloaded the instructions from Miniarts Homepage... Does that count? I have another Project on the go (M36B1) that I want to finish the build phase first. Tentative date for a start is next week...

Cheerio!
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
Looks like an impressive undertaking, Pat. As for myself, since this will be my first MiniArt project and first dio/base, I'll start off a bit on the easier side.

I'm using a scribing tool that I picked up from Bare Metal Foil, which made quick work of cutting the parts out....excellent tool! Have about an hour and a half invested to this point, much quicker and easier than I imagined.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 07:50 AM UTC
Well, I'm happy to report that my kit has arrived:

I'm not sure if I'll use the figures that came with it, or others yet, I guess we'll decide at a later date on that.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 02:27 AM UTC
Nicw work so far James- scribing is the way to go. I usually lay the piece down on a full sheet of wet and dry paper and move it around to sand down the mating edges. I also uses bits of the cut away scrap to form an internal lip to help me glue the parts together.

Dave good choice, should be no problem for you-I remember the TM Ruins interior with stove you built. Those figures are pretty good. You should build them.

I got carried away building my church ruin and didn't take many SBS photos

I glued the back and front of each section together but then when I tried to glued the two walls together I had no way of clamping the innner joint and was left with a gap. I'll have to fill it and live with it.

I had a go at making a replacement window but didn't like it and broke it taking it out I might dress up the bit that's still in place and leave it

Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I glued the back and front of each section together but then when I tried to glued the two walls together I had no way of clamping the innner joint and was left with a gap. I'll have to fill it and live with it.

Ah, so that's probably why in the Miniart instructions on their homepage it directs you to first install the front halves and then put the back halves on. Now I'm sure you all know what I mean... so here 's the link to the Miniart instructions for anyone who hasn't seen them yet. What I mean to explain is on the second page.

Cheerio!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, so that's probably why in the Miniart instructions on their homepage it directs you to first install the front halves and then put the back halves on.

Just goes to show you're never too old to read the instructions lol.

I just posted news of the latest Miniart releases and if I can get my hands on tha North African house I'll build it for this campaign too.
panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 02:20 PM UTC
hi guys ill be shortly starting my entry for this which will be

minart French Street. ( 2nd minart building )

basicaly this is two kits put together and one of the buildings in this kit was
my first miniart building i ever did = french cafe
http://miniart-models.com/HQ_IMAGES/BOX/1_35_b/35513.jpg

and heres my post to the french cafe kit
mistakes have been made on it but it was my first and yet the replies have helped me to prepare for the doing of this campaign =]]]

work shall commence soon

look forward to seein everyones builds!

tony
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC
I built the walls much the same way Pat did since the seams were going to be my biggest concern at this point in the game.

After cutting the pieces out with the scribing tool, they got a quick sanding as is shown on MA's website, using 220 grit. I added some cut off pieces to the straight areas to help align and strengthen the join, as Pat suggested. This was mainly around the window frames since the broken brick doesn't give much opportunity for this.

I joined the halves in 'sections', starting at the bottom. Ran glue about 1/3 of the way up, let it sit for a minute to get the plastic a little soft, more glue and then pressed them together. Doing it in sections seemed to help me align the pieces up a little better.

After the pieces were joined, the seam needed some work. Working with triangular and round files, I went at it, trying to 'push' some of the plastic into the seam. With a very visible seam still showing, I liberally applied liquid cement (Testors). This helped a little, but the seam still needed work, and lots of it!

Apologies for the poor picture quality.....

Next came the Mr. Surfacer...I didn't have 500, so I had to use 1000. I gave a couple of coats of this, followed by a Squadron green putty/Testors liquid glue mixture. This not only helped fill the seam, but softened the Mr. Surfacer to blend it all together.

Satisfied with that, I joined the 2 sections, doing the inside part first. I don't know what happened to the dentil work, but was easily filled with some Squadron white putty. Finally glued it to the base and gave it a light primer coat. Also drilled some small holes in the side for the drainpipe to attach to.

As far as the window frames, are these normally added now and detail painted later, or added later after the building is painted?

guille
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 05:38 PM UTC
Hi Everyone!

Nice to see some early progress and a few familiar faces, er names...

I will be jumping into this one with my second Miniart project- Normandy Village House 35524. The box has landed on a shelf near my workbench and I will check back in with progress shots as soon as I get underway. I look forward to working with you all on this.

Billy
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi
My MiniArt building arrived yesterday. I'm going to be building the Polish city building # 35004.
I'm adding to this an old Airfix weapon's carrier which I'm going to give a repaint. Then about 8 figure's from various makers.
Hope to start this weekend.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as the window frames, are these normally added now and detail painted later, or added later after the building is painted?

According to the Miniart homepage they are added before painting, after everything else is built (last pic of the building instructions).

Quoted Text

Just goes to show you're never too old to read the instructions lol.

Well, seems I didn't read them right either, you're supposed to add the back parts first, not the front... BTW, wonder why that link doesn't work in my post, the url is correct...

Started scratching out the parts on mine, but nothing worth posting yet.

Cheerio!
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 07:08 AM UTC
Scratched out all the parts this weeked, gad that's over. Quite a few parts this one:

Cheerio!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 08:47 AM UTC
Nice clean work there - a good start is half the job.
Delta-Papa
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 09:21 PM UTC
I'm in!

This is going to be a BIG learning curve for me

I'm doing the "Cross Roads Diorama Base" (#36013), "U.S. 4x4 BANTAM 40 BRC" (#35014) & the "US Jeep crew & MP" (#35047).

I want to try to incorporate it into a scene with a Tamiya U.S. 2 -Ton 6x6 Cargo Truck (#35218), & Accessory Parts Set (#35231).

Got all the kits except for the "US Jeep crew & MP" (#35047), should get that next week

The scene goes like this:
MP's directing in a French town, when the Red Ball Express goes tearing through...

I figured it's a case of go BIG or go home
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 10:58 PM UTC
I finally got my house and I shall be showing the first pictures this week!

Stay tuned!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I finally got my house and I shall be showing the first pictures this week!

Stay tuned!

Great. One month of the campaign gone and it's been a slow start which I'll puit down to post christmas blues. I'll be contacting all those who signed up to remind them.
Marnix
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 799 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 02:37 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

I'm one of those guys whose making a slow start. Reason for this is that I'm still busy finishing a diorama for a campaign on Kitmaker Benelux. I did receive my (new) Miniart Kit last week and I will be using this kit in a diorama with an M32B1 I'm building for yet another Kitmaker Benelux campaign. So the intent is definately there to start and finish this campaign, but I first need to finish the other one. I hope I'll be starting on this campaign within a couple of weeks.

Originallly I signed up with the "Ruined East Prussian Building", I've switched it for the "Diorama with Ruined Church" because this way I'll be able to combine it with the M32B1 I'm also building. Enough said, pictures:

Greetings,

Max
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Armorama: 280 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 02:21 AM UTC
Well at last got round to digging this out of the stash,Ive started the construction and got most of the main parts together very fiddlely I thought also while studying the instructions and art work have noticed that there is no parts for the ridge tiles on the gable end of the house. Will sort this out with some balsa and will also replace the part flooring with some stirring sticks that i picked up from a well known coffee shop

Also Pat is there a Gallery set up for this build or have I missed it in the thread
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also Pat is there a Gallery set up for this build or have I missed it in the thread

Gallery is here
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 05:14 AM UTC
Some progress on mine, the walls are built, now for the filling and filing...

Cheers
Stef