Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Campaign in the Pacific
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
Sounds like you’re ready to go Robert
I have everything set up on my work bench ready to go and I guess I also was a bit fidgety to get going because SWMBO bought me Left 4 Dead 2 and I’ve been keeping myself busy killing Zombies. Helps to keep my mind off the wait, strictly novice level I keep getting killed on the easy level, but it sure is fun.
Love the way the parts fly when using the pipe bombs.
Bob
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like you’re ready to go Robert
I have everything set up on my work bench ready to go and I guess I also was a bit fidgety to get going because SWMBO bought me Left 4 Dead 2 and I’ve been keeping myself busy killing Zombies. Helps to keep my mind off the wait, strictly novice level I keep getting killed on the easy level, but it sure is fun.
Love the way the parts fly when using the pipe bombs.
Bob

I guess you have it worse than me, I cannot sit down and play a game with out destroying the control (it gets thrown at the wall when I cannot figure out the right/left button). Bob I was looking up M3's and this profile came up. There are dust fenders on this veiw, is this so?
http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Allies/1-USA/01-LightTanks/M3-M5Stuart/M3A1-Stuart.htm

Robert
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 04:59 PM UTC
I was going over the decals in the M5A1 early from AFV Club and noticed it had markings for "Hothead" from the 4th tank battalion. Never seen any mention of that in any review. I've ordered the T36E6 tracks and photoetch stencils for vehicle markings for the late version. Anyone ever use these? The couple of reviews on this site made them look pretty straightforward.

Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 05:19 PM UTC
Russ what island are you shooting for with that M5A1?

Robert
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 07:01 PM UTC
I was looking at Saipan for the early M5A1 and Leyte or Luzon for the late M5A1. For the early I figure I'll do the tank from the 4th Marine batallion. The kit only has the half circle decal on the side and the name "Marlene" on the turret side. Were there other markings as well? I need to get a good reference book. There isn't a lot available on the web about unit or vehicle particulars.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 - 07:09 PM UTC
Russ I will look at these 2 books to see what can be found to help you when I get home and get back to you.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Robert
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 05:29 AM UTC
Looks like things are starting to take off.
If I can help a little;
Robert that drawing is just an artistic representation,
http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Allies/1-USA/01-LightTanks/M3-M5Stuart/M3A1-Stuart.htm
As can be seen from the actual;

Russ,
Hothead was a M5A1 early turret on Roi-Namur

On Saipan for the Marines they were with the Satan’s and what you see is what you get;

For the Philippines they had a bit more markings since they were part of the Army;

I have more if you want a varity of photos you can work with, I'd be happy to email what ever you need.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving,
Bob

calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hey guys, im still here! I havent vanished from the face of the earth. If anyone needs photos of PTO shermans or Stuarts give me a holler. But im sure Bob is already doing a fine job of that! Having some problems tracing down the decals, shipping is a killer for only a small piece of decal paper
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
Bob I see that the picture shows no dust fenders. I like it, now I do not have to fashion some for my Tamiya kit. Less work than what is already planned.

M1 (Tamiya kit)
Turret (resin a/m)
Tracks (AFV a/m)
Fuel cans (round plastic stock)
M1A1 rounded rear deck (plastic card)
Markings (decals and photo supplied by Bob Card)

All of this and school starting soon,

Robert
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 10:53 AM UTC
Bob, thanks for the photos. Is Margaret sporting a two tone paint job or is that just dust? It looks like lighter coloration on the rear, just as the hull starts to go up, and also on the front of the turret just below the lifting ring. I also get to put grousers on the tracks. I'll see if it works. I have several Thompsons in the spare parts bin, but none with the round magazine, so I'll have to scratch one to replicate that figure. Robert, thanks for posting those two books. One hobby store may have them. If I can ever get a day to travel, I would love to run down to Great Models warehouse and see if they will let me in to do some browsing.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have more if you want a varity of photos you can work with, I'd be happy to email what ever you need.

Bob i think that the dio I am planning is scene in this picture, do you have any more re: paintintheass?

Robert
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Calvin, what decals are for looking for maybe I can help?
Russ, Margaret was just OD with a bunch of dust. This is a photo from Dave Harper that shows just how much dust some might have;

It was mentioned that they would rub oil or diesel on the tanks and run them up and down the roads for some added camo.
Another shot of one from the side;

Remember the shot of Margaret is when she was knocked out, he is pointing at a hole.

Robert, that’s the only one of “Pain”, I do have 2 of another called “The Pay Off”

And just to throw another into the possibilities this is Popeye III;

Possibilities are numerous for just about everywhere in the PTO
Hope this helps,
Bob

BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
5 more days
I am constructing a diorama with 3 vehicles on it and I’m tossing around which I should build first. I think I finally settled on the M4A2 from the 3rd TB, Adamzapple.
My basic set-up for the diorama is this;

So starting with Adamzapple and studying the photos I have I’ve come up with the following list of items;
Basic kit will be the Dragon M4A2 Tarawa kit which has everything needed to make the model, with the exception of items I have to construct.
Additional Items will be the Tank Workshop 55 Gallon Drum wading set, Formations F046 Siren assortment, along with various items from the parts box that work better than some of the Dragon parts like the drive covers.
The markings are where I am having a little trouble in finding all of them;

They sure look like different colors to me;
ADAMZAPPLE White
Tarawa Elephant Grey with red blanket
U.S.M.C. Blue
72801 Yellow

Side turret stars almost completely hidden, paint splotches

Names on front hull hoods, no headlights, tow cable attached to front left eye hook

7 on left rear

Number on rear of stack 7 white
Star on rear of turret, covered by strapped down tarp
Star and bars on turret roof
The items I can’t find are the name Adamzapple. I was thinking of getting the Archer set of transfers 35143 and just doing it letter by letter and the U.S.M.C. in blue. I’m also worried about how to do the side turret stars. Maybe just a very light/thinned coat of OD might do it. I tried this on Chicago but I didn’t think it turned out very well.

Which also looks like where I’ll get everything for the markings except the name which looks like it should be Yellow in this case, sure looks like 3 different colors in the photo of Adamzapple.
I’d better also get to finishing a seaplane kit and making room for Adamzapple before the weekends over, always so much to do in so little time. These holidays sure put a cramp in the modeling time.
Hope everyone is getting ready,
Bob

gabo
Visit this Community
Veracruz, Mexico
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hi Bob:

Ready to start in a few days with my project I have everything to do my sherman, by the way that chicago tank looks fantastic!!.. just a question.. which colors did you used???..they seems very realistic!!.. faded olive drab???.. I was thinking about a fair aproach to paint my tank in a such way.

4 more days and counting!!..

Saludos!.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
3 More Days,
I have to finish up all my Christmas decorations by Sunday and clean up my work area.

I see Gary pinned us on the Campaign page.

Gabriel Thanks for the comments. The color is a mixture of Tamiya OD and Khaki, 3 parts Khaki and 1 part OD. The idea was just what you said, to get a more faded color. I also learned how to do that with drybrushing and powders. Just about every Marine tank seems to have been a cast off or reused item or was heavily faded due to the conditions.
2 great examples I like to show;

This tank is just coming off the LST like this.

Unless you show the tank just on the beach coming ashore, other than this example of course, in a short amount of time they look pretty beat up and dusty. The battles were mostly very short and they didn’t have a lot of time to make them look pretty, just fix’em and return back to the battle as fast as possible.
Bob
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 11:25 AM UTC
Here is a great link for the 44th tank battallion, which saw action at Leyte and Luzon. Some of the images are already posted here. There are good shots of the M4 composite.

[url=http://www.12tharmoredmuseum.com/photoalbum_02.asp?c=44th%20Tank%20Battalion[/url]

A list of US Army armored battallions in the PTO.
44th, 193rd, 706th, 710th, 711th, 713th, 716th, 754th, 762nd, 763rd, 766th, 767th, 775th. The 713th was a flamethrower unit.

Amphibious tractor/tank batallions: 534th, 536th, 539th, 540th, 658th, 672nd, 723rd, 726th, 728th, 826th.

Tank destroyer battallions deployed: 632nd, 637th, 646th, 671st, 806th, 819th.

If you Google the unit by number there is some information available.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 01:56 AM UTC
And the “Campaign in the Pacific” begins!

Good Morning,
Wishing everyone the best of luck on their projects and remember to ask if there are any questions concerning a topic, reference, or guide lines.

December PTO WWII
December 7, 1941 - Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor, Hawaii; also attack the Philippines, Wake Island, Guam, Malaya, Thailand, Shanghai and Midway.
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY & HERITAGE COMMAND
December 8, 1941 - U.S. and Britain declare war on Japan. Japanese land near Singapore and enter Thailand.
December 9, 1941 - China declares war on Japan.
December 10, 1941 - Japanese invade the Philippines and also seize Guam.
December 11, 1941 - Japanese invade Burma.
December 15, 1941 - First Japanese merchant ship sunk by a U.S. submarine.
December 15, 1943 - U.S. Troops land on the Arawe Peninsula of New Britain in the Solomon Islands.
December 15, 1944 - U.S. Troops invade Mindoro in the Philippines.
December 16, 1941 - Japanese invade British Borneo.
December 18, 1941 - Japanese invade Hong Kong.
December 22, 1941 - Japanese invade Luzon in the Philippines.
December 23, 1941 - General Douglas MacArthur begins a withdrawal from Manila to Bataan; Japanese take Wake Island.
December 20-24, 1942 - Japanese air raids on Calcutta, India.
December 25, 1941 - British surrender at Hong Kong.
December 26, 1941 - Manila declared an open city.
December 26, 1943 - Full Allied assault on New Britain as 1st Division Marines invade Cape Gloucester
December 27, 1941 - Japanese bomb Manila.
December 31, 1942 - Emperor Hirohito of Japan gives permission to his troops to withdraw from Guadalcanal after five months of bloody fighting against U.S. Forces

For a more detailed listing for the month of December go to;

Thanks everyone and have a great Campaign,
Bob

Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 05:19 AM UTC
I can now start cutting plastic so it begins.

Robert
GVoakes
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC
Perfect timing, as I am now preparing to start my journey home from Japan. Managed to pick up a few Fine Molds IJA kits, so will make the decision and start cutting plastic once I hit the ground and recover from the time difference!

Been looking forward to this campaign!

Grant
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC
And so it begins, Im probably going to end up getting the decals at greatmodel, i was opting for lucky model, but after the last experience i had with them forget it
guille
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 06:27 PM UTC
Roger that! Happy campaigning everyone. I going to get started on my 1/350 Yukikazi while I figure out what else I am doing for this campaign.

Billy
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
I'm not exactly at the cutting stage but close.
Just finished up the SWMBO list for the holidays and not all free time goes back to modeling, at least untill I have to take all the decorations down.
I did get my work area cleaned up a bit. This makes 3 on going projects but this one has the priority and the others a break when I have to wait or let something dry.
Here are the kits I'm using for Adamzapple;

Will be cutting this weekend for sure.
Hope everyone gets a chance before the weekends over,
Bob

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 02:26 PM UTC
Bob sent me this photo of "Nannie" at Saipan.

I enlarged the photo a little to look at details. Am I imagining things or is there a number on the forward hull side? It looks like a 2 and maybe a 3. Also, does this tank have a faded USMC over the half circle or am I again just seeing things? Is there any source that lists what tank number this is? On the turret, what is the object between the two sets of grousers, right behind the MG mount.

The M3 Satan tank to the left is the same hull type as the Academy M3A1. It just needs the gun and mantlet modified.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 07:35 AM UTC
OK I just couldn't wait.

Russ-I have no idea what the thing is between the mg mount and grouser mounts. Maybe some type of tie down?
Number might be 22304 a serial number?
Pretty sure no USMC bird and ball. But Margaret didn't have any serial numbers did she?
I can up you one better on the photo, on the M5A1 behind the Satan what is strapped or mounted to the side?
If you would like the info on the Satan’s I can send that also, tons more on the Satan’s then the M5A1’s.

Calvin- let me dig through my drawer of decals to see if I can come up with what you need. From you I need a list of items that you need. From what I see;
Names-
Flame (4 other possibilities with letters up to 7, none specified or known) I have a rear and left side view.
Hunter, left, right and rear view/Hothead, left, right and rear view/Hornet, right and front view.
(2 unknown)

Half moon is for the 4th Division
5-Regiment
1-Division or Battalion
2-Company
Painting is OD over all with white strips painted, looks like they used a mop to paint them on. Each tank is unique in how the strips were painted.
Some drawings show a 3 tone camo and some show a horizontal strip on Hunter, I don’t see those things on any of my photos. But I’ll send you what I have and you can decide for yourself.
I also have interior, walk a rounds and a couple of references for the M5 if you need additional info.

On the M5A1 behind the Satan it looks like it's the same webbing or bungy cord type thing holding in Water cans or additional soft armor.

Image is from ; (Page 43)

Any Ideas anyone?
Bob

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:01 AM UTC
Thanks again, Bob. Your explanation of the divisional marking is really great, too. It almost looks like she is numbered 1?4. Is Nannie written on the side of the turret under the strap/device thingy? Too bad no one thought of how important reference photos would be in the future. This photo is really good but there aren't enough of them. I'm still waiting for the rest of the items I ordered to be shipped before I can start either Stuart build. I have however started the cockpit of the Hellcat. Just wish it was in 1/35 as the parts are tiny.