Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Campaign in the Pacific
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hello Bob:
I also found this profile, if it is legit I will use the scheme for the campaign.

http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Allies/1-USA/01-LightTanks/M3-M5Stuart/M3A1-Stuart.htm

Robert
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 08:06 AM UTC
Robert,
I'll email you what I have later this weekend, about 48meg so I'll have to try and zip it first into 2-3 meg files.
I added a couple of scale drawings also.

The drawing you mentioned is a Bougainville Stuart with the rounded rear end so the drawing is not quite correct. But with the squared off rear end it is the Guadalcanal version you want to do. I had to correct my earlier comment above. Slight difference between the M3 and M3A1, M3A1 had a turret basket while the M3 didn't and the rear deck of the M3A1 was curved while the m3 was flat. The key to distinguishing that this is a late M3 are the sponson machine guns. The M3A1 did not have sponson machine guns in any of its iterations

Bougainville M3A1

All clear as a bell now isn't it?
Sorry for the confusion,
Bob

And just to add to the confusion; looking through my photos I found a couple of Stuarts with no sponson mg's but with the squared off rear end on Guadalcanal. Very hard to tell for sure. They did have both M3 and M3A1 there along with M2A4's.
I'm definitely no expert but it looks like the ones with the copula on the turret are the M2A4's, the ones with both mg's on the sides are M3's and the ones with the rounded plates where the mg's should go are either modified M3's or the M3A1's.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 11:15 AM UTC
Bob it looks like I will have to scratch a rounded rear deck to make the version in the profile that I mentioned above. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I noticed your Frank Frazzeta print in your photos, he was my favorite back in the early 70's when in the Navy. I would read Conan in my spare time.

Robert
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 - 07:56 PM UTC
I received a semi-built Tamiya M3 with a resin 75mm conversion. which I stripped back into it's basic components.
Given the timeframe of this campaign, I could drop in to make it look like this;

But I will not start working on it untill late winter/early spring, but that still gives me 4 months till the campaign's end... so....
Where do enlist?
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hello Ron:
It is not a campaign yet, but you make eleven so now Bob can submit this to the powers that be to make it so.

Robert
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 09:46 AM UTC
Robert,
These should fit the bill nicely, if I remember correctly the Tamiya Kit is with the sponson MG's, if it's the 35042 kit.

Same goes with me on Frankie, 75-91 USN

Ron, hello and welcome aboard,
I worked one of these not to long ago for one on Peleliu.
Should turn out great.

And the actual total is 8, I don't think Calvin or I count but I want a solid 10 before we submit.
Thanks guys,
Bob
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 09:50 AM UTC
Wow alot more people interested than last time me and Bob posted this. Bob would you happen to have a list of U.S armor and Support vehicles used in the pacific around the time from 1942 to 1945? Anyone have any ideas on what I should do?
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 10:45 AM UTC
Bob thanks for the photos, the one with the two figures at the bottom I had seen before. I will do the profile from above but I will scratch the rear deck and no sponson mgs.

Robert
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
Robert,
Some of the photos I emailed will help then, let me know if they went through.

Calvin, Pick a vehicle you want to model and we'll come up some suggestions.

Thanks guys,
Bob
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 12:16 PM UTC
Sorry Bob, I did not reply. The photos came through ok and gave me what I need to accomplish the build. Thanks

Robert
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow alot more people interested than last time me and Bob posted this. Bob would you happen to have a list of U.S armor and Support vehicles used in the pacific around the time from 1942 to 1945? Anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Howdy Y'all

Bob-I remember there was a real good list going when we started talking about a Marianas Campaign. Is it possible to supply the link for it?

Thanks,
Don "Lakota"
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 03:32 PM UTC
Don,
it is back on the first post, both "Link" items are for the previous campaign ideas PTO and Marianas
Bob
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:30 PM UTC
Hi Bob and Calvin,

I will be on board for your campaign with something. I won't make a decision on the exact subject until the campaign starts.

-Doug
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 05:44 PM UTC
Great to have you aboard Doug, looking foward to seeing some more shermans from you
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:18 PM UTC
Most everything was used except the 76mm Shermans and the M36 and M12. The hardest part will be finding markings that are more than just generic stars. Here are a couple of ideas.

Or this.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 07:54 PM UTC
Hi Russ:
I found this M4 in the Phillipines.
http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Allies/1-USA/02-MediumTanks/M4-Sherman/M4(hybrid).htm
This on Ebey Island.
http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Allies/1-USA/02-MediumTanks/M4-Sherman/M4A1(late).htm
Halftrack on Tinian.
http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Allies/1-USA/02-MediumTanks/M4-Sherman/M4A1(late).htm
Marines pacific Ford GPA.
http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Allies/1-USA/10-LightVehicles/Jeeps/Ford-GPA.htm
Marines Iwo Jima
http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Allies/1-USA/11-Trucks/GMC/DUKW-353.htm
Ok and some Japanese.
http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Axis/3-Japan/Japanese-Armor.htm

Robert
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 08:48 PM UTC
Welcoma aboard Doug,
No hurry plenty of time. I'm sure a lot of ideas will be bounced around that might help.
Right now I have 33 different ideas floating,I am currently checking over my supply to see what is all there without having to buy anything.
Right now I'm leaning towards this one;

Guys,
For decals, Hard Corps Models has some great transfers all for the USMC Pacific.
Bob
Removed by original poster on 10/18/09 - 09:31:35 (GMT).
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great to have you aboard Doug, looking foward to seeing some more shermans from you

Quoted Text

Welcoma aboard Doug

Glad to be aboard, gentleman. Nice ribbons, by the way. I especially like the progressive ribbon structure rewarding greater participation. Very clever.

Quoted Text

Right now I have 33 different ideas floating,I am currently checking over my supply to see what is all there without having to buy anything.

My list is not quite that formidable but runs into the teens. Shermans build fast so I will probably start with Beelzebub or an M4A4 in Burma just for Calvin.

Quoted Text

Right now I'm leaning towards this one;

That's a good choice. "Hothead" from the same formation is on my list.

With regards to armor decals, Bison also makes quite a few sheets with one or more Pacific subjects.

Sorry for the double post. I have never experienced that before. Weird.

-Doug
Momann
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 05:19 AM UTC
Count me in. I'm doing a Tarawa diorama as well, using Dragon's U.S. Marines for Tarawa and Iwo Jima, Dragon's Japanese Infantry and Masterbox' Japanese Infantry sets from the Bloody Atoll series.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 09:18 AM UTC
Excellent choice Momann and Welcome aboard.
Any questions please feel free or if you might need some info these guys could find anything, I'm sure.
Just wish I could locate that scratch rear end M3A1 for Robert.

Doug that is actually a Tank in F Company. Which brings up a problem, Names were supposed to be H,I,J,K but these have F's, one I can see clearly is FLAME, both that and this one landed on Green 1, Hunter, Hothead and Hornet landed on Green 2 some where on the Left flank. Best way to tell are the background photos show a structure on the far left and the pier.
Thats why it's sticking in my head so much to do this one. Something different.

Again welcome Momann and thanks guys for posting,
Bob
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent choice Momann and Welcome aboard.
Any questions please feel free or if you might need some info these guys could find anything, I'm sure.
Just wish I could locate that scratch rear end M3A1 for Robert.

Bob I've got it covered, I will scratch the rear end. The photos show me that it should be easy. Thanks for the help. Welcome Momann.

Robert
gabo
Visit this Community
Veracruz, Mexico
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi:

Count me in!!!.. I Have the Italeri LVT(A) 2 Saipan, and one of my future project is to build an M4A2 from the 4th marine div. in Saipan, a Sherman who was a veteran from the fist stages of the marianas Campaign.

This is my opcion:

LVT(a)2 Saipan or Iwo Jima.

M4A2 Sherman (JUAREZ) 4TH DV. C Co. Saipan.

cheers!!!!..

Gabriel.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 10:56 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Gabriel,
I always wanted to make one of the Saipan M4's, looking forward to your build.
I've done a number of LVT's from Saipan and the Satan. If looking for any info just let us know.
Bob

Hey you make the official 10th person wanting to sign on congrats, I can now submit to the powers that be to see if we can get it scheduled.

gabo
Visit this Community
Veracruz, Mexico
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 11:33 AM UTC
Hi Bob:

Thanks for the info offering let me see if I need something and I will tell you.

So.. go ahead with the campaign!!!

saludos!

Gabo