Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Campaign in the Pacific
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 11:40 AM UTC
Hi Bob:
I cannot wait for this campaign to begin, I know I will be in school starting in February, but I will not miss PTO campaign, it is my favorite subject.

Robert
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 12:13 PM UTC
Hey Gabriel looking foward to seeing "Juarez" mi amigo. Bob ive found out what ive wanted to do, a M5a1 stuart on Kwajelein Atoll, is the AFV club early suitable for this? thanks guys
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 03:10 PM UTC
Everyone has provided some great photos, scanning through google for my M3A1 I came across this M4 on New Britain in 1944.
Photobucket

The only thing that I am able to actually discern are the tracks, I cannot tell if the tank is one or more colors my eyes are not as young as they were say 20 years ago.

Robert
gabo
Visit this Community
Veracruz, Mexico
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 03:31 PM UTC
Hi calvin:

thanks for reply, I´ve been searching about M5A1 too and in the excellent Robert Neiman´s book "tanks on the beaches", I´ve found this photo from the Namur campaign I hope it help in your search.

and in the Steve Zaloga´s book "tabk battles of the Pacific" this scheme of the same vehicle.

Bison decals makes a set in which you can find the markings.

saludos.

gabo.
guille
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
hola todos, and hey Bob,

I think I am going to jump in on this one. It will be my third campaign and I am looking forward to doing some thing related to the Pacific Theatre in WWII. Seeing as we have a little bit of time to plan and such here, I may to do pieces for this one for at this time I happen to have the Hasegawa 1/350 IJN Destroyer Type KOH Yukikaze coming in the mail from dragonUSA, and along with this I am thinking about a dio of some sort

I am a big history nut so it is good to see so many ideas connected to this campaign already.

ciao

Billy (or Guille)
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
Wow, plenty of things going on.
Welcome aboard Billy great choice, I am also looking forward to your build; I know absolutely nothing about IJN Destroyer’s.

Robert, the photo looks like a M4A1. I have a number of photos of them if you need. It was also one of my choices, interesting items concerning these. Good luck at school, plenty of time for the campaign.

Calvin, the AFV Club M5A1 early is perfect for this one. That photo of an F Company M5A1 is also from there. F Company had a bunch of stowage as can be seen; B Company only had a couple of items visible.
Off the Bison Decals I would take the camo shown on Hothead with a grain of salt but it was a 3 color camo which you can just make out.
Right and left of hothead;

And the front/left of Hornet so you can see that the white was also used on the front;

“M5A1 light tanks from Baker Company, 4th Tank Battalion, and were taken on Namur, Kwajalein Atoll, in early 1944. For a long time there was a lot of speculation that the stripes were tan because of the appearance of the dirty, poorly-painted stripes in b&w photos. They were indeed white, but were just part of the multi-color camouflage for the coral sand atoll.”
I copied that down from somewhere and placed it on a document with a bunch of other comments I found concerning these tanks, just forgot to write down who said it.

Again, welcome aboard Billy and when I find something out about this being approved I’ll post it here,
Bob
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
I made up my mind, here is the list of items I would like to do someday for the PTO, and these can be used for ideas for people and I’ll just decide which to make when the Campaign begins;
Matilda, Australian from OBOE 1, 2 or 6
M3 Australian New Guinea
M4A1 Cape Gloucester
M4A2 or M4A3 Flame Iwo Jima
Mk 2 KA-MI Amphibious Tank
LVT 1 or 2 Tarawa
4.5 Inch Rocket platform on a DUKW
4.5 Inch Rocket platform on a LVT2
LVT2 Weapons platform Noemfoor
LVT2 Doodlebug Tinian
M3A1 Satan or M5A1 Saipan
M4A2 Guam
M10 Kwajalein
M3 Lee or M3A1 Makin
M4A3 or M4A3 T6 Okinawa
LVT(A)1, (A)4, (A)4 Flame, (A)4 USS Fubar, M4A2, Army Composite, Peleliu
M5A1, M5A1 Flame or M4A2 DV Roi-Namur
M4A1 Manila
M1A1 Pack Howitzer Pacific
Air Strip Repair truck Seabees
Avenger/LVT2 (This one is impossible right now since they don’t come in the same size)
Comet from Iwo Jima (This one is out for me since I already started it)
This is by no means the only ones available, just my list; one has to know his limitations.

Reading over all the things in submitting a Campaign it might take up to 2 weeks before we hear anything. It was submitted this morning so hopefully by 2 Nov we’ll know.
Bob
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 07:57 AM UTC
@ Bob:
Nice list, will you have time to do every one? They are all my favorites also, I will take you up on the help with doc. Going back to school at my age has been a little rough, so you and anyone here can help me with my accounting homework. Just sent off for US Marine Corps Tank Crewman 1941-45: Pacific and Modelling the M3/M5 Stuart Light Tank I think they will help in modifying the rear deck .

@ Russ:
Nice photos of the M3 and M4, I think the trees will be the hardest part.

@Gabo:
I did not know that the M5 was used in the Pacific, I learned something new even with trying, thanks.

@ Calvin:
I used wikipedia for my Everything 3 campaign list, maybe you could do the same.

Robert:-[ ]
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 10:44 AM UTC
Bob, nice list. I've been going through my photos and came up with a long list of things I would like to do as well.

M4 composite, Anguar, Leyte, Luzon, flame tank from Okinawa
M4 105 Luzon
M4A1 Kwajalein, Biak, Luzon
M4A2 Dozer Peleliu
M4A3 Iwo, Luzon
M7 Saipan, Leyte, Luzon, Okinawa
M5A1 Saipan, Luzon, M8 Leyte (need the new AFV Club kit to come out and wading trunks)
M10 Bougainville
M18 Luzon, Okinawa
M20 Luzon
M3 HT, Guadalcanal, Bougainville,
M3 GMC Iwo JIma, Peleliu,
M16 MGMC or just the quad gun trailer, Saipan, Iwo, Luzon
Any of the LVT series
WC51/52
75, 105, 155, 8in howitzers.
DUKW
Bren carrier from Buna mission
F6F-5
F4U-1
P47-D and N models
SBD-3 and 5
F4F and P39 Cactus air force
P40 Aleutian
A20 and B25 New Guinea
The kids keep asking me to get the 1/72 scale Gato.
I would love to do the Elco 80' PT boat, but that is outside my price range.

Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 10:56 AM UTC
It has been awhile since I have seen the video/show of action on some pacific island where either the US Marines or US Army was clearing out caves and an explosive was set off by no one knows and it turned the M4 over on its top. Does anyone have any knowledge of the video that I am speaking of?

@ Bob & Russ: impressive lists no need to put one up for myself yall have named most of the vehicles and a/c that I also would like to attempt to build.

Robert
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 12:09 PM UTC
Had nothing better to do so I was searching through wikipedia and came up with the following sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_of_the_Japanese_Navy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_tanks_and_armoured_vehicles_of_the_WWII_period

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_Vehicle_Tracked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW

Robert
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 12:16 PM UTC
Okinawa. Death of a tank. M4A3 hit a buried torpedo warhead or 500 lb bomb, flipped over and burned. The commander was blown out of the turret and survived. He is in the film standing by the tank as other soldiers try to use fire extinguishers to stop the flames and get the crew out. They can't and the four other crewmen were burned. The last time I saw the video it was on Youtube.

Incidentally, there is another photo of an M4A3 on Iwo Jima that also hit a buried warhead and was flipped over. A second tank hit another buried bomb but it didn't go off. The initial charge did and broke the tracks.
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 03:05 PM UTC
Russ, some great choices there, never enough time. Amazing how we have to reign ourselves in.

Robert thanks for the sites should come in handy.

Russ I think the Iwo Jima tank is the one they found buried not to long ago and is still there.
The Okinawa M4 was photographed a number of times before it hit that bomb I just never noticed it untill I started to match the photos up.

Thanks guys,
Bob
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC
I added the direct link for the Banners on the first post so all you have to do to add it in your signature area is to copy it and paste it in the "URL for Signature Image:" box. When you modify your profile.
Bob

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 08:17 AM UTC

Hope this helps a little with the M3.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC

Ouch Russ, I dont think it helped no. 40. A shovel a shovel, my kingdom for a shovel with a big motor thing on the end of it. Russ these and the books will do fine, thanks for the help.

Robert
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 06:56 PM UTC
Your long wait for approval is over! Campaign approved!
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 09:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your long wait for approval is over! Campaign approved!

Awesome!

I am still casting about for something unusual to build. Something colorful.

-Doug
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 02:20 AM UTC
Thank you Gary,
So that everyone knows we have the research and choices to make.
If you have something in mind and have trouble finding the references let us know. Together, if it existed, we should be able to find it.
Need help finding a model or any questions at all let us know.

Good luck everyone and Dec 7th is just around the corner,
Bob

Took me a bit but how about this one Doug for color?
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 02:48 AM UTC
Sorry for the delay in posting this, the past couple weeks have been ROUGH around here. I have PDFs of the Marine Corps Historical Branch's campaign histories for the war in the Pacific, which are similar in premise to the Army's "Green Books". They have tons of pics, some of which aren't seen very often. Also I have the 2nd MARDIV after action report on Betio, which has diagrams of some of the SNLF's defensive works. The Marines broke the books down into managable chunks which can actually be e-mailed when they digitized them. I'm still in and up for this campaign!
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry for the delay in posting this, the past couple weeks have been ROUGH around here. I have PDFs of the Marine Corps Historical Branch's campaign histories for the war in the Pacific, which are similar in premise to the Army's "Green Books". They have tons of pics, some of which aren't seen very often. Also I have the 2nd MARDIV after action report on Betio, which has diagrams of some of the SNLF's defensive works. The Marines broke the books down into managable chunks which can actually be e-mailed when they digitized them. I'm still in and up for this campaign!

Hello John:
That sounds really good, I will be building an M3A1 for the campaign.

Robert
GVoakes
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 10:06 AM UTC
Just came across this campaign - I'm in. I'll be doing something Japanese, just not sure what yet. I'll also be a later start, as I'm Tokyo in the beginning of December. I'll have to see if I can find some of those Fine Mold Japanese tanks (more reasons to hit the hobby stores!)

Grant
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John,
No problem with the time, just glad to hear your still hanging in there.
I'll raise my hand for that 2nd MARDIV after action report, would love to see that. My email in in my profile.
It might help to make a list if possible of those PDF's so if someone sees the one they need they know what to ask for. When you get a chance, First. things always first.

Robert, already picked out your reference? Remember it's one of the requirements.

Welcome aboard Grant. Nice to see some Japanese things coming up.

Gary offered to make this our official thread and I excepted, so everything will be on this one thread.

Thanks again Gary and keep checking those references.
Bob
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John,
No problem with the time, just glad to hear your still hanging in there.
I'll raise my hand for that 2nd MARDIV after action report, would love to see that. My email in in my profile.
It might help to make a list if possible of those PDF's so if someone sees the one they need they know what to ask for. When you get a chance, First. things always first.

Robert, already picked out your reference? Remember it's one of the requirements.

Bob

Bob I will stick with this M3A1 of the 3rd. Marines on Bougainville 1943
Photobucket
Russ posted some photos up above, the tanks turret no. is higher than the one in my profile but it is the same place. Does this qualify? I am waiting for the mail to bring my books on the M3A1, when they arrive my choice may change.
I also have thought of doing an M4, until I find the document/photo not sure which version yet. I have plenty of kits and resin part to play with.

Robert
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 11:31 AM UTC
Man am i excited, theres always a second chance for things right? i will be doing one of the early m5a1s on kwajelein atoll with the AFV club early kit and bison decals.