_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Airfix "WWI Male Tank" Mark 1
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

wow, this is some fantastic build! whatever happened to it?
are there more finished photos?

Those cast metal tracks are making me re-think my build...aaarrggghhh!

But very nice, very nice!

Sonny, thanks very much. What happened to it... well, um, it kind of turned into one of those things ... I became a little frustrated with the base which didn't really turn out how I wanted it, and I also ended up feeling, rightly or wrongly, that the weathering on the tank just wasn't quite right, it was somewhat too subtle. So basically I deliberately left it alone with the intention of redoing parts of it - except like a lot of people, I haven't quite got around to it! I am thinking of stripping the base back a bit, then repainting it and weathering the tank in to match. I quite liked that painted mud effect in the photos, but ended up covering that over in order to blend in the bits where it meets the tank, and that's what needs to be fixed.

Yes, the tracks, the tracks... part of the problem with this model is that the tracks are just so very noticeable, and those in the kit are just so very thick and rubbery looking.

Interesting looking back at this thread how I completely messed up the depth of field on the photos... doh. I will get around to taking and posting some photos to show the current state of it.
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thanks for putting this thread up, my old man bought me this kit 40+ years ago! and I long for the day when one of the styrene company's do a decent one in 1/35. After reading through the blog I happened to be in the local shop and what was on offer for the princely sum of £1.99?.. but the trusty old Airfix, must be karma so I went with it and have just completed the "masks" on the sponsons though think I may skip the cast track links. Think that would tip me over the edge.
Cheers Paul.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 03:46 AM UTC
How time flies... I started this model seven years ago, then four years later wrote that my intention was to re-do aspects of the finish. So I recently started to do some of those changes, and while not finished, I couldn't let today go past without some mention, as the scene represented here happened 100 years ago today: Chartreuse stuck in a shell hole in the early morning of 15 September 1916.

Changes so far have been to apply a load of pulverised soil to the ground work to provide better texture and to extend the cover right up to the edges of the tracks particularly at the front where it is buried. A dark brown coat has been applied as the first stage of painting. The map that was fixed to the base has been removed and the sides prepared for painting; the map was good but the surface finish was a little soft and tacky. I'm thinking of starting off by painting the base sides with satin black Mr Surfacer; the material is polymer clay which doesn't take enamels. I've also started the process of making the weathering a bit less subtle, so far trying to increase the contrast. Probably will also add some more earth on to the tank itself, and there's a few bits needing to be fixed like the paint missing from the muzzle of one gun.

Anyway, let us remember poor Private Boult who drove the tank into the hole in which it stayed, despite the crew spending three and a half hours attempting to dig it out. Eventually the engine seized and it had to be abandoned.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 08:31 PM UTC
Matthew,

Talk about a blast from the past in so many ways! I recall with nostalgia the many trials and tribulations that you went through with the construction of this test of willpower. Watching this thread was akin to being hooked on a soap opera or television drama series awaiting each new instalment! It makes me wonder if I should endeavour to resurrect a few of my long stalled projects. I said it in the past and I’ll say it again now, those homemade cast track plates look superb! Thanks for keeping the memory of Private Boult’s accomplishment alive and well.

Cheers,
Jan
JerryUK
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 10:38 PM UTC
Superb work. Many years ago as a child I built this model. Now I've bought it again with ambitious diorama plans, and your work is an inspiration. 4 weeks ago I accompanied my brother to Cambrai for a tour of the Somme, to honor my great uncle John James Lister who died just aged 19 close to Bourlon wood Nov 27th 1917. The trip was very moving, and we are planning to return.
Back to the model: Just one thing I've already experimented with..adding rivets.
I've bought some UV cured adhesive. This is a gel, and if you use a pin to deposit this on the model you can achieve (with care) realistic rivets. Just cure them in less than 10 seconds and you are done!
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 11:06 PM UTC
Matthew, that is one impressive little vignette! Really impressed with what you achieved with the old Airfix kit! Built the Takom 1/35 one this year and it's huge. I think 1/72 or 1/48 is the right scale for it. Landship really is the best description, though yours looks more like a stranded ... whale?

Cheers!
Stefan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 - 05:42 PM UTC
Jeremy, thanks for taking the time to comment and welcome to Armorama. Glad you found some inspiration here for your build. Your rivet method sounds interesting, I've not heard of UV curing of resin before for model making (other than at the dentist, I think) perhaps you might get to show us how it is done and explain a bit more in your own thread - modellers here are always looking for new techniques. Did you take on board the comment I made somewhere in this thread about the spacing of the rivets on this Airfix kit being wrong for anything other than the prototype Mother? Basically they are too close together, but I didn't get around to modifying them on the vertical side armour on this model. Whether you want to do that of course is entirely up to you!

Hopefully we'll get to see your build on this site at some point.

Jan and Stefan, thanks... Stefan, yes, these tanks are huge, like King Tiger size. As for a beached whale, maybe a bit more like a sick walrus...?
JerryUK
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 02:30 AM UTC
Cheers Matthew, I'll check out the rivet patterns/spacings. One other slightly mad thing is to attempt to have functional light pods. For this, I have bought and managed to attach wires to some 0402 SMD size (1mm x 0.5mm) warm white LEDs. The smallest LEDs available are 0201 size which is a mere 0.6mm x 0.3mm.
First attempt at making the pods failed (wrong shape) but will try again with a smaller nut.
My approach to modelling is a bit haphazard and I am no-where near skilled as you are. When I have something worthwhile, I'll do some photos.
Rough plan in my head is a night time scene, a moment of quiet, drinking tea amid mud, barb wire and other objects of war and nature.
The UV adhesive Gell by the way was a JML product £9.99 from Wilkinsons.
Planning on going back to northern France next year to continue our tour! Might bring back some real Somme mud to throw on the model (there's a thought)
Thanks, Jerry
 _GOTOTOP