Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
The True North Strong and Free
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 01:27 PM UTC
@captnenglish: Welcome to the campaign, I hope you enjoy your build!

Only 10 days to go!

zaltar
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
One week to go!

zaltar
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 06:48 PM UTC
Since I'm not sure if I'll be around a computer on 12/26, I have created the Campaign Gallery for this campaign.

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/25120
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 03:40 AM UTC
Thanks Gary! The only reason that I'll be on a computer on Boxing Day is to officially start the campaign, which should be one quick post.

5 days to go!

zaltar
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 06:53 AM UTC
Well I received my Staghound to-day and to tell you that I am impressed with Bronco models would be an understatement. The instructions are a little daunting and I am defiantly going to have to take my time with this one. I also purchased a Voyager Model PEA 081 M1919 kit However, I am somewhat disappointed with it hoping that it would have bee nof a higher standard but such is not the case. Oh well I guess I will have to look else where, lessons learned when purchasing specialized parts do them in person.

Anyway looking forward to starting off on this campaign, looking forward to all the pictures and all the tips that will come of this.

Will more than likely cross the SP on the 27/12/09.

UBIQUE
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 06:47 AM UTC
@JAFMA: I'm glad to hear that you're ready, and I look forward to seeing your completed build!

Only 3 days to go!

zaltar
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 221 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 03:57 PM UTC
Count me in, I mite finish my Lynx for this one or maybe some other Felis catus. Or perhaps one of the Canis latrans I have waiting on the shelf.

Cheers.

Todd.
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 03:28 AM UTC
@tjbear66: I'm glad to hear that you have a few ideas for the campaign, and I hope that you have a lot of fun!

Well, this will be the last post that I put on here until I kick off the campaign!

Merry Christmas to all and I'll see you on the 26th!

zaltar
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 03:41 AM UTC
Today's the day!

Initiate Operation The True North Strong and Free!

I hope that everybody enjoys the campaign, and I look forward to seeing all of your builds and I hope that you all enjoy building your models!

zaltar
wrenchy
Visit this Community
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:05 PM UTC
I'm in with a Hasegawa CF-104.
ChillyMedic
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:30 AM UTC
I've settled on the Accurate Armour Ferret Mk 1/1. My first ever resin kit, so this should be interesting.

Don
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've settled on the Accurate Armour Ferret Mk 1/1. My first ever resin kit, so this should be interesting.

Don

Look forward to seeing this! I have an AA ferret, havent tackled it yet but they look like nice kits and not too much of a struggle to put together, just be weary that AA resin can often be a little brittle!
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 03:46 AM UTC
@wrenchy: I'm really looking forward to seeing your CF-104, it will be a nice change from the armour.

@ChillyMedic: I've never built a resin kit before either, so I'll be very interested to hear how your Ferret turns out!

zaltar
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:48 AM UTC
Started the Build following common sense and not the instructions not sure if I will suffer for this later on.

Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 07:12 AM UTC
Randall: I'm glad that you're off to a good start, not using the instructions may pay off at times, especially if they aren't very clear. Hopefully it pays off!

zaltar
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 02:29 PM UTC
Should we start our own thread/blog for our builds, or keep them all here? Could get pretty confusing if they're all posted in this thread. For individual threads, maybe just start the title with 'The True North Strong and Free', then provide a link to it here. I thought there was an option to choose which campaign when posting a new topic, but I didn't see it.

Jim
paultoz
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 03:53 PM UTC
I had a rummage through the stash today and found a 1/72 CF-18A. It's an old Esci kit, so no doubt will need plenty of filling and TLC. That's what I'll be building.
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 03:43 AM UTC
Jim: That's a good idea, but the only problem with it is that those who are building aircraft and naval vessels don't have a section on the forums to post. I think that it should be the builder's choice as to how to post their builds, either here or on a separate topic (starting with "The True North Strong and Free: ... as the title [I like that idea, thanks Jim!] )

Paul: Sounds good, sometimes the older kits can be quite fun to build. I just finished Airfix's ancient Bren Gun Carrier and 6 pounder AT gun. Other than a few fit issues, it was fun to build! Enjoy your CF-18!

zaltar
ChillyMedic
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:01 PM UTC
I'm not diligent enough to start this as a blog, but here's some photos of Project Ferret so far.

This is my first resin kit and I'm not really sure what I'm to expect, but it seems this mould might be getting on in life. The castings aren't quite as clean as I was expecting coming from the land of plastic but everything is workable. There is some flash to clean up on most of the larger castings and hull has some small air bubbles on/in the front fenders.

My biggest gripe so far is the security in which some of the smaller parts are attached to the pour blocks. I've already destroyed/lost the steering linkage and it looks like I'll be replacing the various grab handles with some fine wire.

The fit of the parts however is absolutely fantastic just as long as you do a good job of cleaning up the parts once removed from the blocks. The stance of the wheels looks a little crooked in my photos, but I can assure you this is user error on my part. I'll hide it with the base I'm planning.

The hull top is just sitting in place right now.

Comments and criticisms always welcome!

Don

Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
Donald: I've never built a rein kit before either, so I'll be very interested to hear how it turns out! What manufacturer did you use? Good luck with the rest of the build, and I can't wait to see it finished!

zaltar
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 05:05 AM UTC
Don,

Nice little Ferret you have going there. Is that the Cromwell kit?

How do you intend on finishing it? There are several options for a Canadian Ferret....but some need to have some minor modifications done depending on the timeline.
ChillyMedic
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 05:49 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

The kit is the Accurate Armour Mk 1/1. The resin is very different to work with than the PS that I'm used to but I'm slowly figuring things out.

The plan is to have it in UN service in Egypt with the UNEF in the late 50s. I'm going to take a shot at scratching the extra jerry can holders that were fitted to the backs of these vehicles but any help/ideas for other mods would be appreciated.

Don
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
For my entry, Dragon's 1/35th scale Sherman Firefly, I was thinking of placing it in a winter diorama that looks like these pictures, taken in the Netherlands:

Pic 1
Pic 2

Did Canadian Tank Regiments apply Winter Camouflage to their vehicles during the winter of 1944-1945? Did they apply any paint or did they just leave it Olive Drab?

Thanks!

zaltar
JAFMA
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:11 PM UTC
Zaltar you might want to check out this sight http://milifax2003.tripod.com/home03.html but to the best of my knowledge nobody on the Allied side painted any of the armoured vehicles white.
Cannon99
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 02:31 PM UTC

I'm going to build the Trumpeter 1/48 Sea Fury with the Eduard Big Ed, I'll use the Canadian Sea Fury decals by Mike Grant Decals.