Hosted by Darren Baker
-Landing interval- Berlin, April 1945
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
Thank you for your reply guys. Yeah, maybe it's because I waited to long to scrub (like the next day lol) and I didnt use water. But now that they are attached I just rubbed them with a lead pencil powder...way simpler in fact

Now...I'd really if someone familiar with military hardware and/or a civil engineer could give me some hint on a couple of things:

I would like to add a shell-hole/ man made trench beside the truck wreck. This hole would be pictured in my diorama as a last stand ditch for the german defenders to use their panzerfaust and I'd probably place a casuality next to it.

But to break it down a little, first I'd like to know if an artillery shell could create a crater on a paved road or asphalt road. I ask this because I looked at many pictures of Berlin and even if all the buildings are down from artillery and air raid I never see a crater on the streets

And second, I wonder if the U-bahn tunnel would run parralel and right under the street? If the defenders dig a trench would they find the concrete top of the U-bahn very soon? Or would there be aqueduct and sewer pipes above the U-bahn box? Or could the U-bahn tunnel run parralel to the street but not directly under it, so that a shell-hole would just uncover water and sewer pipes?

the hatched region is where I'd like to place the hole

I know I ask a lot of question all at once but I'm sure someone knows a part of the answer

Thanks in advance

Phil
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:58 AM UTC
If you plan on stone paving, I would settle for a manmade barricade - pile in some stones, furniture etc.

Cheers/Jan
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi everybody here on great Armorama

Tiny update this week. End of semester at school...my attention is somewhat on something else than this diorama
Nevertheless the guard rail is almost complete!

I take the occasion to salute every model and diorama maker on this site, you all manage to pull out impressive stuff that is always inspiring!

Cheers!
Phil
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 07:26 PM UTC
Awesome rail! - long live evergreen - I think you have captured the look of the rail from the picture just right.

Nice to se you are still working on it.

Cheers/Jan
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hey Phillipe
First time I have ventured into this thread, and I have to say I am blown away with your vision and execution! The angles of both dioramas are superb, and have a level of interest immediately without one even need any ing to know anything about the subject matter.
The Alpine hut is tremendous; a most interesting layout and quite pleasing to the eye.
The train station has lots to look at with it's levels, and looks to be well finished with your techiniques.
As for your query regarding piping, I'd suggest that maybe the train tunnel would be a fair bit deeper than any piping? I'd go forth and have at least a part of a pipe exposed; maybe have it running parallel with the street...

Brad
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hehe Jan, I'm deeply fond of Evergreen too!!! IMHO Evergreen and cork are a must when you want to depict an urban scene

Bradley: Thank you for you good words. I was thinking the same as you for the deepness of the train tunnel. So maybe that showing some pipes would be OK but going ''tunnel train deep'' would require a large crater that wouldn't realistically fit my actual diorama base. Thank for your comments

Phil
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 06:56 PM UTC
Just stumbled upon this thread. I really hope you continue with it soon. Love the idea of the subway, and the tiles look fantastic, keep it coming.
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 08:43 PM UTC
Philippe, I have read your topic and how I enjoyed it ! The concrete stairs look just real, the tiles look like real ones, the overall set up of the diorama is perfect. I love your rocky house too ! I'm a fan !
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 08:43 PM UTC
Yo Phil,

Very nice work indeed! Nice setting with the lower and higher levels. The U-bahn entrance in great and spotted on like the real thing.

Following this one from now on.

Grt Nico
slaughterman
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 12:51 AM UTC
Hi Phil
great buil,'stairs and tiles are excellent, keep up the good work
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hi all!

First update of 2010, so here it goes. I finally set my mind and decided to include a door at U-Bahn floor level. Now the funny part is that I had a huge dilemma over the opening direction and had to put an end to it by telling me that for whatever reasons the subway door are closed the people would rush in during air raids, hence the choosen opening direction Really, I realise making this model is full of these interpretations that call for simple hypothesis so that I can move on...So by no mean I'm totally accurate But hey! that's fun

I painted the guardrail but it needs some weathering. The top of the sign is not square since it's not glued because the ''glass'' sign is still drying.

I figured I'd have a lot of empty space on the street side which I didn't want cause I desire a compact dio so I sawed of about 50 mm, making the base more rectangular which suits well with the U-bahn theme....wagons, tunnels...usually more long than large stuff Also I'll depict an asphalt street and ditched my ''homemade cobblestones'' intentions...don't want to be still updating stuff in 2011 lol. Or maybe I'm just being lazy with that one, bah

Thank you Brett, Guy, Nico and Gerard for you comments, much appreciated! That's some kind of low GHG fuel!

Peace
Phil
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 08:08 PM UTC
Oh my! - the first picture looks allmost 1:1 ! - well done, just a little dirt and grime and you are there!

I like the structure you have made for the sign.

I am not entirely sure I like your downsizing the dio - are you ditching that beautiful Opel Blitz ?

Cheers/Jan
kemo
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 01:12 AM UTC
Looking forward to your follow-up pictures. I REALLY like this build that you have here.
barbacanosa
Visit this Community
Baleares, Spain / España
KitMaker: 296 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 10:42 PM UTC
It is a work of architecture
I love the perfection and care in all assembly
I'm looking forward to see more photos

saludos
Domi
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 06:45 AM UTC
The first pic really looks like a photo from the real thing! Amazing job!
Your building and painting skills are truly remarkable.
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Pablo
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 05:01 AM UTC
Hi folks!
This week update:

I modified the MiniArt staple streetlight to loosely adapt it to what I could see in Berlin wartime pictures. I Sawed off the large cicurlar base and remade the top section as I found the OOTB shape was to elaborate and fancy to my taste. Some details were added, such as hinge and handle on the service panel, light fitting support and electric wire.

THEN, I finally finished struggling with the U-Bahn sign. This is like version 4.0 I picked Shillingstrasse station cause it features a sharp S, which looks very german and it's next to Franckfurter Allee station, the one where the picture of storming russians soldiers was taken.
I made the design in Photoshop and printed it. then covered with a clear plastic piece that has received a light spray of matt coat.

Also since the beginning I want to have a german soldier in the scene but I'd not found a good way yet. The idea I like the most until now is the german grenade guy. It adds a huge dramatic side to the scene if you look at it and imagine the following scene. I feel it's very powerful...maybe too much. Too dark and heavy to some people's taste maybe. Readers, what's your point of view

Yes Jan, I've considered not using the Blitz, but might end up in as well. I'll flip a coin probably With the truck it would look something like that.

I want to thank everybody who gives me comments, It really boost my modelling morale, and I encourage everyone to leave comments, ideas, thoughts, do not censor yourself, I'll take anything!

Thanks for watching
Peace
Phil
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
this is looking really good. I like the idea of the german, and the choice of the guy with the grenade is good. The problem is that he looks far too relaxed, like he is just taking a rest. Maybe you could rework him a bit, or just find someone else. If you were worried about taste, you could always replace the grenade with a pistol or something, to make it a bit more desperate and the outcome more uncertain.
Zaltar
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 09:03 AM UTC
Personally, I like it best with both the grenadier and truck. I think that it fills up any extra space and creates more of a desperate feeling to the diorama. I think that the grenade is the perfect weapon for the figure, especially in the street fighting situation.

zaltar
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 11:02 AM UTC
I am crazy about your Lamp post and the sign, and if I have a vote, I would definately vote for the truck!

I have to think a bit about the granade guy - I am not entirely sold on the idea

Otherwise - solid work!

Cheers/Jan
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 10:53 PM UTC
Rather than a soldier why not have a child (Hitler youth) ? I think it would suit the tone of the dio a little better.
Or possibly some civilians being attacked/robbed by an additional Russian soldier(s).
This is a great looking dio. Your scratch built scenery is brilliant.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC
Great work. I like the idea of a Hitler Youth if you could ensure the visual impression.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
This is looking superb! I'd stick with the SS grenadier as he's obviously looking through the gap at the bottom of the fencing acquiring his target while priming his grenade.(Having thrown hand grenades in the past I know to take a moment to check your target). Maybe have another fig with an MP40 next to him to follow up with a quick burst to finish off the Russians? I'd leave the lorry in there as a) it balances it out (b)adds to the atmosphere of the scene. One of the things I think is very important in a dio is to tell a story/have interaction between the subjects. You've got that going on here. As far as I see it you've got Russians who've completely switched off and are about to get a very rude awakening . It's working for me as it is at this stage!
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
I agree with Karl about another german, have him watching the grenadiers back though. I'd have him crouching and propped against either the lamppost or the front of the Opel facing outwards.
Excellent so far btw, can't wait for the finished dio.
edbonics
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2010 - 08:18 PM UTC
definitely keep the truck as the scene is slightly boring without it.at first i thought the grenadier should have an mp40 at the ready for once he'd thrown the grenade but once people started mentioning additional germans, i liked that idea better, one or two sneaking up, one behind the opel and one a couple feet behind "mr. casual" overall this is a really nice diorama, i cant wait to see the directions you ultimately decide to go in
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm happy that my thread still sparks off some interesting comments! I see many people suggested to add a Hitlerjugend boy. I agree with you all as they were really specificaly involved in that battle but unfortunately I've never attempted to sculpt a human being and i don't feel like trying this for this project. And if I'm right no manufacturer make HJ set. But thanks for your advice!

Instead I looked in my stash in search for a guy with a less casual and I-throw-grenades-in-subway-station-all-day-long kind of pose. I think I found out. Crouching guy from Dragon set ''Hohenstaufen Division, Normandy 1944 #6282''

I easily changed his hands (thanks Gen2) and made him carry a pistol. That makes the outcome a lot less predictable....Really I absolutely love to read your toughts guys, makes me think about a whole lot!!!

also I liked the idea of having a wingman with him so I modified this figures from the same set. But I'll probably leave it off cause after all I want to narrate a defeat and make it clear.

Beside this I think I'm about ready for painting on the Opel Blitz, yeah it is back by popular pressure Nah seriously your comments made me think twice.

Have a good week all!

Peace
Phil