Hosted by Darren Baker
-Landing interval- Berlin, April 1945
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 01:06 PM UTC
Wow real neat work! I really like the KO'D Opel Blitz!
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 01:35 PM UTC
HI Phillippe, I found this on one of Armorama's sponsers

http://www.milminwh.com/new_world_min_p1.htm Go half way down the page and their is a HJ with a Panzeraust!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 03:33 PM UTC
Although I really like the concept of futility with that of the single German soldier with the pistol... it just doesn't seem right that the guy with the MP40 is just sitting around as look-out when that's the weapon one would use to clear the little group of Russians.

I think either the pistol guy is on his own, or he gets a MP40.

Just my 2 cents.

callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 10:11 PM UTC
How about having the german not attacking the russians but watching/covering them as another soldier helps a wounded comrade/civilians to safety without being spotted. I don't know for certain but I'm pretty sure someone made a german figure putting his finger on his lips to tell people to keep quiet. That would fit very nicely.
I love the dio as it is and am only throwing ideas around. Great work.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:02 PM UTC
Great figure. If defeat is what you're going for then a single guy, pistol, and maybe a grenade is it. My first though was - one guy vs. four - he's done.
The Opel is great - burned out I suspect, at least the back?
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 11:37 PM UTC
I can't wait to see this beauty finished. It looks stunning already.

I wish I had the mental stamina, not to mention the skills requred to tackle something like this.

Superb!!!

Des
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC
Superbe work Philippe,
I also like the first picture!

Cheers
Claude

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 03:39 AM UTC
Great choice of figures, I would go for both !

I am very happy that the Blitz is back in the diorama - its such a nice conversion you have carried out - and I think the diorama will profit from it, as the piece of road would be quite bare otherwise.

Cheers/Jan
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 05:10 AM UTC
Overall I think that this has the potential of being a very good diorama. My only comment at this point is with regards to the Russian soldiers. if it were me, I would remove the one kneeling (kind of an awkward position to be relaxing and drinking) and replace it with the one standing on the steps facing downward. There is a good chance that that particular Russian, if left where he is, would most likely be able to see one, or more, of the crawling Germans through the gap under the barrier; if not directly then with peripheral vision.

Just my 2 cents.
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC
Yo Philippe,

Yes, the German figs are great and will be a great story to you're story!

Also the Opel must be added to the setting...nice build of the Opel to, nice damage.

Getting along well here

Greetz Nico
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 03:40 PM UTC
Hi everybody,

Almost 2 months since last update, I have to say I took a little break in February but I got back at it in March so I have some stuff to show, I'm pretty excited.

One thing I realised while taking the pictures is that the base is getting pretty packed and found it difficult to get a good shot that gives a good overall perspective of what's going on. Nevertheless, for now I'm ok with it being quite busy, as the wartime pictures gave me this impression and what I'm seeking is the recreate this impression.

Looking back my only regret is not to have a main central point of interest as pretty much the interesting elements are situated on the perimeter. Regarding this I want to thank all of you how gave me ideas, very good ideas actually! You have more artistical sense and imagination than me. But I don't like to mess and modify figgies too much so I'm gonna stick with my boring attack idea lol. But hey, thanks again.

Figures placement is still not determined, there's a hundred different possibility, trying to find the best one

best overall shot I could pull out

The wood cages will be filled with ''stones'' as seen in many wartime pictures. Over and around it there will be the remain of a building brick wall. Still need to cast a couple more batch of brick lol.

Bunch of stuff recovered from destroyed buildings and put there. It also kind of hide the crouching guy.

So as you see there's a lot going on. I hope it ties together a minimum and not only in my mind

Thanks for reading/watching
Peace
Phil
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 07:50 PM UTC
Welcome back, nice seeing some work done on this again.

Allthough I really like all the elements in their own right, I have a feeling of "too much" - but I can´t really tell which part is too much.

Maybe it will look more calm, when the elements are painted and blended together with pigments and washes.

I like how you have enclosed the sides of the diorama, its brings some calm into the composition.

Cheers/Jan
Mohawk73
Visit this Community
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 388 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 09:02 PM UTC
Dio looks really, really great.
I read this for the first time now and the first thing i think is 'less is more'. I mean, one German will give this dio more a feeling of heroeism (is this correct English? ). Altough the Opel is nice piece to put in.
I see you changed the Mp for a STG. Thats the second thing that slipt my mind. I think this is a good idea since the SS used this in this stage of the war a lot.

Whatever you decide to do, you got my blessing. I think this will be a very nice dio.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:48 PM UTC
Its a joy just to follow the development of your project.

Cheers
campbellbart
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 12:19 AM UTC
I think its really looking good. I'm glad you decided to add a couple of Germans, its adds alot to the diorama.

I look forward to your progress.

Bart
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 01:20 AM UTC
Looks fantastic, Phil. Very impressive scene and the detailling on the Opel Blitz is excellent.

Looking forward to see more.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
Philippe, Was wondering what happened to you and your dio. Glad to see you back. It keeps getting better each time you work on it. Love the road block and the Germans. Maybe to add more of a despeate feel to it, add some bandages to them (the Germans) with a little blood stain seeping out. Kind of like they are on their last leg look. I really like it as buisy as you have it, keeps the eye moving around to see all your little treasures. Keep up the fantastic work.
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
I think the scene looks great - I wasn't sure at first but with the second soldier and the scenery it just looks right. I'm relly enjoying watching this progress and picking up loads of ideas along the way!
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 04:42 AM UTC
Thank you all for your interesting comments, I'm grateful to all of you.
I had the same mixed feelings as some of you and was also expecting everyhting to be more calm, like Jan said, once everything painted. But after looking at it for couple of days I decided to prepare a leaner version of it.

The fallen brick wall is gone (represented with blue foam in previous pictures) and wood cages are now lower, as if they were not finished. The diorama breath a lot more that way.

Oh, I also discarded the kneeling russian as it's TRUE that it is an awkward pose for drinking (as pointed out by Martin Wisiak). I sawed off his legs and will try to ''putty him up'' in standing position, with the arm holding the rifle more along the body in a more casual way. Will see how it turns out, or else I'll just leave it off.

Peace
Phil
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 12:02 PM UTC
As Johan Hendriks said ''Less is more''

I return to my initial idea and started over painting I personnaly think it looks a LOT better like it is right now. So much for overpacked layout

Hope you like it

Peace
Phil
Pavlovsdog
Visit this Community
Carlow, Ireland
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 03:56 AM UTC
Phillipe ,

Your work is outstanding on so many levels I love the detail on the indside of the cab of the opel, the figues and their placement is fantastic ,

Looking forward to your next update ,

Bestwishes,

Jerry
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hi all, here's some progress on the destroyed truck. To recap I used the old Italeri Opel Blitz along with a detail set from Edouard. I've redone the truck bed with plastic styrene and the floor and walls with bass wood, well what's left.

I painted a 3 tone camo using Vallejo acrylics even though it's hard to say there's green and brown on the photos. After I painted heavilly burnt areas of the cab with diluted Hobby Acqueous tire black paint. Then I brushed black Vallejo pigments over the black paint to smoothen the edges and give a sooty look. Grey, white and red oxide pigments were also used but it's hardly noticeable on pictures. Final weathering will be done to blend it with the street base and white soot for burnt tire and building dust will be added.
Hope you like it and as always any criticism is welcome

Phil
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 06:18 PM UTC
Must have been the holidays that made me overlook your latest update - good work, and nice to see its still moving along.

Unless the truck is recently burned out, I think you should ad some rust. My experience is, that burned out cars and trucks very fast aquires a heavy rusting - we are talking only a few days. The reason is propably that the heated unprotected metal is very receptive.

A orange rust would allso give some nice splaches of color.

Cheers/Jan
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:00 AM UTC
That damaged Opel blitz is awsome! look foward to more updates. That is one great looking diorama you are making.
Tom