Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Paint those troops!!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 04:50 AM UTC
I have signed up. I am no. 10, so we should be official

Very cool ribbon
KAYELL
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 09:40 AM UTC
Count me in, as long as rule 8 stays
guille
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 10:40 AM UTC
I am in as I could always use help with my figures.

Do I understand the campaign correctly? We build a dio with the focus on the figures. The figures can be new, or they can be old ones that have been repainted. I assume that if they have been repainted it does not matter where they come from?

To me, this campaign makes a lot of sense. So often the focus of a dio is a vehicle. I love doing figures, albeit if they could always use improvement to avoid looking like Mr. Potato head as mentioned above! I am not completely sure what I am going to do, but it seems like a good idea to shift the focus.

A lot of you mention the Dragon series. I am in the process of finishing the US Rangers Normandy '44 kit, and the 1941 Winter's Onset, near Moscow. Both of these sets are fantastic. I obviously won't be able to use those in this campaign, but I'll show a few pix of my progress if that is ok.

As for a theme? maybe some conversions? I am interested in doing something with civilians as well but need to fish for ideas. This is like my 6th campaign that I have signed up for I think.
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 08:38 PM UTC
@ Darren; The guys over on HF sure do have a lot of experience, but usually build in other scales. I noticed myself that there is a lot of difference in paintingtechniques between a 1:35 figure and a 70mm figure. A lot of these guys are so good that I am afraid it might scare off a lot of (beginning) figurepainters.

@ Jesper; so we meet again, stranger!! Welcome aboard.

@ Keith; rule 8 is a very important one!!

@ Billy; the focus is figurepainting. You can build all the dioramas and vehicles you want, but the figures are the dominant part!
It doesn't really matter if you paint a US Marine in digital desertcamo or a 1930's lady in a blouse and skirt. It'd be cool if we saw both actually!
Which reminds me..........
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Jesper; so we meet again, stranger!! Welcome aboard.

It's quite difficult to start a campaign and don't meet Jesper . It's nice to see old faces around, feels like returning home.

A.
woody6968
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
im in ,,,,now the head scratching begins
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I have about 9 I'm working on at the moment, been held up by the loss of decent light.

They include 3 conversions for a Para PIAT Team, a Para Driver using the Ultracast jeep figure an two chaps for a Vickers MG Crew I started a while ago but haven't finished plus a kneeling medic type figure and a Padre.

I also have the Welbike crew to build and various others!!.

Do we have a time frame for this, so that I make sure and finish a couple

Cheers

Al
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
Welcome aboard, gentlemen!
Alan, there is no timeframe as far as subjects go. You only have to paint/repaint 2 complete figures between january 1st and june 30th 2010.

Easy, isn't it?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 04:55 AM UTC
Hi Ron,

my kind of campaign.

Al
Torchy
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You only have to paint/repaint 2 complete figures between january 1st and june 30th 2010.

Easy,easy,easy
Nice one Ron,I can cope with that!!
Andy
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC
These are what are currently on the work bence:

Al
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
I'm in... and only because I never do figures. I've tried so many times and just get frustrated and give up. I must have 30-40 in a box in different stages. The only ones I ever did were with a Pibber and they were disappointing: http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/35th-scale/?action=view¤t=DSCF0123.jpg.

Question: can we use decals for the camo uniform and just paint hands, face, gear etc? Like this stuff:

Cheers,
Sean
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 03:19 PM UTC

"...they call him Goliath??!!!"

Ron, here's a couple who have enlisted. Thanks for starting such a campaign. Cheers -- Tat
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC
I'm up for this one too. I have a bunch of American Sherman crewmen and supporting infantry for a couple of different projects waiting to get painted. This sounds like just the sort of thing to help me keep my focus on getting them done.
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 02:21 AM UTC
Welcome aboard, guys!

@ Alan; the 3 in the last picture would qualify. Save them for this campaign!
@ Sean; Negative. No decals! This campaign is about learning how to paint. That includes camouflagepatterns. If you can do that, you don't need decals anymore. It looks a lot harder than it actually is. I tried.
@ Tat; Nice combo. MB's?
@ Ed; I've never tried US uniforms myself, so I'll be watching you!
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:28 PM UTC
Thanks Ron. Yes, they're MBs -- the subjects they have seem interesting. Saw the Goliath lying about so I just added it for fun. Looking forward to the start of the campaign next year.

BTW, I read somehwere that some of the 1/35 ESCI figure kits were really 1/32. I have compared it with DMLs and they do seem bigger. Well they're boxed as 1/35 but given the perceived differences, do they still qualify?

Cheers
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 06:05 PM UTC
I'm in. My figures with my stryker Dio will make an appearance. Hand painting digital camo
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 06:16 PM UTC
Also, here are the figures I will be building.

They come tuesday
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Sean; Negative. No decals! This campaign is about learning how to paint. That includes camouflagepatterns. If you can do that, you don't need decals anymore. It looks a lot harder than it actually is. I tried.

OK, I'm still in...I can do this....I think! It'll be over the Christmas period, so pics in Jan

Cheers,
Sean
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 02:43 AM UTC
Well gents,
it's 5 days befor "Go"...
Everyone ready??

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hi Ron,

Yes, washed these chaps this evening, as this is more about painting than building:

Al

Edit: Unfortunately having started a bit early these chaps won't count in the campaign so I'll clear down the pics so as not to confuse things.

Al
Removed by original poster on 01/01/10 - 13:53:04 (GMT).
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Well I know we haven't offically started yet but I have some build time this week that I wanted to put to good use, so I've started on the first of my figures.

I wanted to do the two British Infantry as Indian Army soldiers in the earlier war period. so I've used the DML Indian heads, switched out the arms for some Tamiya replacement ones that I've fattened up a bit with milliput. Cut off the short stabbing bayonets and replaced them with the long No 1 bayoney and cut of the righth hand ammo pouch on the sten gun figure and replaced it with a full pouch. I fattened out the rear of the greatcoates as I didn't want to add the short digging tool. I'll switch out the kit weapons for SMLE and/or a Thompson .45 MG. They wil be carrying ammo and tools.

Here is my propgress so far, pics aren't great but you will get the idea, doing the faces was a new experience, don't know what I think of them yet!!

Al

yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:28 PM UTC
Great looking figures, Alan!
Tell us how you did the Indian figures and post some close ups if possible...

Because you took a headstart, you need to do 2 more figures AFTER 01-01-2010...

That's your punishment for being a naughty and impatient boy!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great looking figures, Alan!
Tell us how you did the Indian figures and post some close ups if possible...

Because you took a headstart, you need to do 2 more figures AFTER 01-01-2010...

That's your punishment for being a naughty and impatient boy!

Hi Ron,

Cruel, very cruel . I have some time this week and as things will be very busy when I get back to work thought I'd make use of it.

Well having washed the figures I primed them with Tamiya XF 52 flat earth, not for any particular reason other than I have several pots of that colour left over from when I switched to Vallejo English Uniform. The Tamiya paint holds well as a base coat and for the Greatcoats I used Vallejo 70921 English Uniform.

Trousers were painted with Vallejo Buiff 70976 and the webbing with Tamiya Buff XF 57.

For the faces I used life colour paints and starting off with a flat base gradually added many layres of slightly darkening colout until I got what I though was a reasonable approximation of the right facial colour.

The greatcoats were given some depth/contrast by adding light touches of some Vallejo burn't umber and the bottomm of the coats treated with some Mig pigments.

The webbing less the bandolier was treated with some Mig filters.

There are a few bumps/dips in the arms that need sorted out, I had to fatten them up a bit with milliput from Battle Dress to Greatcoat thickness and I'm not much of a sculpter so they could be better.

Still some more work to do on them and I will try and get some better pictures when the light improved but it is a very dull/wet day to day so not much good for photography.

Al