Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
FEATURE
German for Modelers
Schluchtenscheisser
Visit this Community
Salzburg, Austria
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 11:59 AM UTC
I'm quite late but may I suggest up - tile - ung for Abteilung?

I really like the idea of this "guide". One tends to forget how hard the own language can be for non-speakers.

ps.: May I also recommend to put an "e" behind A,O,U if Ä,Ö,Ü are not available.

pps.: Even the audio file has a slight accent in it.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What do call someone who speaks two languages?...Bilingual.
What do you call someone who speaks three languages?...Trilingual.
What do you call someone who speaks one language?...American.

I have one that seems to work particularly well with blondes:
What do you call a man who speaks six languages?

Hint: He's a certain kind of linguist.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 05:35 PM UTC
Thanks Bill for starting this ! It has made me realize that my hard learned German has REALLY deteriorated. I'm going to guess that lack of use coupled with speaking in the Milwaukee Deutsch dialect when I do I have developed a faul Mund. Mark is right about it being painful listening to some folks trying to speak in a foreign tongue. But they are making an effort and I salute them !
Phil if you are still following this do you speak that Salzburg dialect ?
A good weekend all !
Tom
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 07:56 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Zhere iz a war going.

Just to show that the way of pronouncing foreign languages can be used for humor as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiPHu7caHa8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1TnzCiUSI0&feature=kp

And to those who think that all Dutch do speak 4 luanguages: English grammar is part of all forms of school education, but French and German are far less common. So, don't make us smarter than we are! Thanks for the compliment any way! Appreciated. The Dutch way of translating our languages into English grammar even led to some hilarious books. ( e.g. A Dutch official explaining the audience about the fact that his wife came with him to live in NY said "and also my wife is having her first period here!"

Bill, zank you zo muzz for ze trouble you take!

nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 09:18 PM UTC
There is already a solution for the pronounciation problem:

http://www.dict.cc/?s=M%C3%B6belwagen
dict.cc offers you (almost) all you need, translation and soundfile.

It might be that you have to split some expressions in the words they are put together, but ususally pronounciation dosn´t change....

Concerning dialects: They can change within villages not even miles away, but "a kind of" Hochdeutsch is spoken by almost everyone, if he/she feels like, with some influence by the area they come from.
there are some words that differ from region to region Weck, Semmel or formaly Brötchen = roll
Schäufela, Eisbein or Haxe = hock
But nowerdays here in Franconia it´s getting less and less with dialects, a few decades you really enjoyed garandmas "Grumbern Salod" while you´re now buying a Kartoffelsalat in the supermarket
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark is right about it being painful listening to some folks trying to speak in a foreign tongue. But they are making an effort and I salute them !

Exactly, Tom.

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:17 PM UTC
Time to bump this one again.
thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC

Beute (“Boy tuh”): Boy teh
Fahrgestelle ("Far-guh-shtell-uh"): Far-geh-shtell-ay
FlaK (“flock”) Flack
Flammenwerfer (“flah-men vair-ferr”): flah-men wer-fer
Freiwillige (“Fry vill-ee-guh”):Fry will-ee-geh
Jagdpanzer (“Yah-gd Ponz her”): Yah-gd Panz her

In most the uh would be eh. I learned Bayerisch/OberPfatzisch so I might be spelling towards a dialect.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 04:36 AM UTC
Thanks, Wayne, for the input, but Bayerdeutsch is often different from Hochdeutsch.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:45 PM UTC
Have you noticed that more and more German words are finding their way into the English language:

Angst
Doppelgänger / Doppelganger
Hinterland
Zeitgeist
etc.

Being bilingual and fluent in English and German myself, there are quite some words/meaning in either language which are very difficult to translate at all and some simply don't exist.
"Furor Teutonicus " as the Romans already predicted centuries ago ... looks like they are proven right !
Another reason to improve your German:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0lWICH3rY

Cheers
Christopher:-H
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

FlaK (“flock”) Flack

In most the uh would be eh. I learned Bayerisch/OberPfatzisch so I might be spelling towards a dialect.

Grafenwöhr Training Area? Or Hohenfels?
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Wayne, for the input, but Bayerdeutsch is often different from Hochdeutsch.

Not Bayerdeursch, simply Bairisch or Boarisch in dialect.
thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

FlaK (“flock”) Flack

Grafenwöhr Training Area? Or Hohenfels?

Grafenwoehr/Stuttgart/Ramstein/Wuerzburg. Da gibts Bayern, dann die anderen.....Gibst nicht besser als Semmelknoedel und sauerbraten.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 08:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gibst nicht besser als Semmelknoedel und sauerbraten.

I'll take Schnitzel Wiener Art over over-done pot roast any day.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gibst nicht besser als Semmelknoedel und sauerbraten.

I'll take Schnitzel Wiener Art over over-done pot roast any day.

I suggest trying a real Wiener Schnitzel. Veal cutlet instead of pig (1) backed swimming in hot butter. Costs a bit, takes some searching to find but a totally different taste.

I admit i like Sauerbraten. This may be due to the fact that equines and I have a mutual assured dislike. They trie to kick/bite/stomp me when the can, I try to eat them when I can

(1) And that from a Westfalien
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 10:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I suggest trying a real Wiener Schnitzel. Veal cutlet instead of pig (1) backed swimming in hot butter. Costs a bit, takes some searching to find but a totally different taste.

The best Wiener Schnitzel I ever ate was in, of course, Vienna. Best Sacher Torte was in the cafe of the Sacher Hotel there. But I'll take a well-made German Schnitzel over Sauerbraten any day of the week.

There are many things the Germans do well. Cooking unfortunately, isn't one of them.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The best Wiener Schnitzel I ever ate was in, of course, Vienna. Best Sacher Torte was in the cafe of the Sacher Hotel there. But I'll take a well-made German Schnitzel over Sauerbraten any day of the week.

There are many things the Germans do well. Cooking unfortunately, isn't one of them.

Well, we do beat the British and Irish since we have discovered these strange thing named "seasoning" and "spices".

Well, unless "Indian" counts as British/Irish these days

=================

Jokes aside, Sauerbraten, even more so the version with horsemeat, IS an aquired taste and even many germans do not like it (I grew up with it being 1/2 east prussian), same for stuff like boiled filet with horseradish-sauce or tongue, liver (complete, fried), kidney (fried)

OTOH german stews, even more so from the big pot and warmed up once are something one should try. Peas, White beans or Lentils with some nice coarse sausages are something I could not live without. Take the Tofu, take the soy - you can't take my stew from me

Oh and marzipan. If you ever come to Lübeck (or near it) visit Niederegger and taste some.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, we do beat the British and Irish since we have discovered these strange thing named "seasoning" and "spices".

Well, unless "Indian" counts as British/Irish these days

I was just in Kilkenny and the Irish have discovered how to cook (likely from their diaspora coming home to open good restaurants).

Quoted Text

Oh and marzipan. If you ever come to Lübeck (or near it) visit Niederegger and taste some.

I went to the Mozart Balls factory in Bavaria many years ago. While awful after sitting on the shelves for awhile, they were delightful coming fresh off the assembly line. For those who don't know, they are marzipan- & pistachio-filled chocolates wrapped up in foil with Wolfgang Amadeus' face on them.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC
Those of us lucky enough to have been stationed in or near Baumholder and Idar Oberstein, know the joys of Spiessbraten! Now THAT is some good eating!!!
mmeier
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those of us lucky enough to have been stationed in or near Baumholder and Idar Oberstein, know the joys of Spiessbraten! Now THAT is some good eating!!!

The Kompaniefeldwebel asked me to stress the fact that the receipt for Spiessbraten does NOT! I repeat NOT! involve a Spiess. So would the hungry soldiers please stop looking at him.

PzAufkl
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 104 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 01:26 AM UTC
Hi German students,

Here's a word that's being constantly misspelled (and probably mispronounced) by English speakers: "Balkenkreuz" - you know, that identification cross on Wehrmacht vehicles.
It's a combination of "Balken" and "Kreuz", with the latter meaning "cross" and the former "(wooden) beam", so it would be "beam cross", as opposed to the flared-ended "Iron crosses" used by the Kaiser's forces and today's Bundeswehr.
Pronunciation is something like "bulk'n'croyts", with the emphasis on the first syllable; pl.Balkenkreuze, pronunciation bulk'n'croytsah, emphasis again on bulk.
So please don't copy Archer's spelling, will you?

Peter
PzAufkl
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 104 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2017 - 10:38 PM UTC
Oops!
Archer now DOES spell it right! Guess I should've checked before I posted ...
Peter
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 02:39 AM UTC
Time to give this one a "bump" for those who have never seen it.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 02:49 AM UTC
Something I don't understand about the US educations system is this: In lower grades, we studied German. I believe it was something like one hour a day. When you reach senior high school and are required to take a foreign language, German is not an option. My grandfather was a German immigrant, my dad was stationed, in Germany and my sister was born, there. I recently realized, that my great grandfather would have fought for Germany, during WWI. I know this is a little off-topic, but it seemed to fit.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Something I don't understand about the US educations system is this: In lower grades, we studied German. I believe it was something like one hour a day. When you reach senior high school and are required to take a foreign language, German is not an option.

Not the fault of the US education system, but of the availability of a qualified teacher to teach the subject as well as the number of students willing to take a particular language at your school. German was an option for me in high school as we had plenty willing to learn it and several teachers available to us. No one wanted to take Latin although we had a teacher for it. There was no teacher available for any Asian language when I went there, but it may be different now.