_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Alternative to lead foil
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hi.

I've had difficulties finding lead foil locally. I've looked at craft stores without much luck. Could I find it or something similar at a hardware store? Is there a similar alternative anyone could suggest?

I was interested in using it mainly for straps and slings. Possibly some Archer flags as well.

Thanks for your advice,

Jeff
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 05:38 AM UTC
Try a hardware store or a plumbing supply house.
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 05:55 AM UTC
Start drinking more wine - then keep the foil from the top of the bottle.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
Try your local Dentist.

Mine gave me a baggy of lead coverings that were from their bite-wing x-ray films. Appears to be only one thickness, but it a source.
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
Right on, Ken. Dave Black (Delta 42) , in his younger days as a resteraunt manager, kept a bunch of that stuff from wine bottles and uses it, with great success, for slings, straps, uniform parts, etc. Great stuff. It's thicker than regular aluminum foil but thinner than lead foil. Works great. So does the wine.
azadro
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 06:32 AM UTC
hey Verlinden sells the stuff ..
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 07:11 AM UTC
Well thou it's not lead foil I have used many products found around the house.

1) Is Crest Tooth Paste tube, once finished cut both ends off and wash. Down fall is it smells minty for awhile, just let it air dry out to rid the smell...works well.

2) Look at the foil from coffee/ yogurt containers and such. I drink a lot of General Foods International Coffees. The foil has the right thickness for harness.

You can find many products around that will work well enough in many thicknesses. Just wash, dry and run a light grit sandpaper over it, this will give the paint to bit onto. All of the above will bend, twist and hold shape.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC
I use one of two things, either the foil oven trays used for baking etc from the supermarket, or if I feel I really need lead foil I go down to the local cheapo shop and buy a bunch of lead fishing sinkers and melt them down using an old melting cup I used to use for making black powder balls. I just melt them and then pour it out and let it cool. It can be kinda fragile at times but what doesn't get used just gets remelted.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 10:06 AM UTC
Ask someone into stained glass. They may be able to help.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hennessey Cognac bottles are sealed with lead foil. too. if you need to thin it down, roll the smooth end of an X-acto knife handle over a section. Hic!
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
plastic containers of yogurt, sour cream, etc all have a foil "freshness seal".

It typically has a texture, however, you can smooth it out really easily.
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 10:22 AM UTC
Possibly you are not looking in the right places at the craft stores. For example, Hobby Lobby has that foil over in the jewelry making section. AC Moore has thin aluminum sheets in the glass staining and small tool area. I believe K&S makes thin aluminum sheet packets. Ditto on the wine bottle foils, I save them as much as I can.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 05:23 PM UTC
... but all my wine bottles have twist off caps!

corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC
I'm not sure ericadean, but I think they are talking bottles of wine, not boxes of wine! LOL
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... but all my wine bottles have twist off caps!

Cheapskate.
trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC
Lead wire used for tieing fishing fly's can be flattened/rolled out and used, or use masking tape with the glue taken off with some enamel thinners.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 12:04 PM UTC
I picked up a life time supply of .006 lead foil years ago from a minning supply company.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 12:09 PM UTC
Micheal's craft store. In the art section. They have copper foil, lead, metal, and fine mesh. I think all on all the same shelf near the sculpting stuff.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lead wire used for tieing fishing fly's can be flattened/rolled out and used, or use masking tape with the glue taken off with some enamel thinners.

Duct tape is good. It has cloth fibers which will stand up to repeated painting. Plus, as an added bonus, it doubles as a muting device when the better half starts ladying about all the time you're wasting making fashion accessories for plastic soldiers. Wives. You can either live with them; or, you can invest in a wood chipper.
panzerdoc
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 02:22 PM UTC
I use the packing material from a suture called vicryl. The foil is thinner and easier to work with than any lead sheet product.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there a similar alternative anyone could suggest?

Personally i use Aluminium Foil Trays and metal tube toothpaste (or mayonnaise, sauce, ketchup...)

They are absolutely the cheapest alternatives. You can obtain a metal very thin (about 0.2 mm) and easy to bend although is enough strong
You have, before the use, just to clean the packaging and roll out carefully the tin whit a rolling pin

cheers
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC
Many wine bottle seals are laminated with a thin layer of plastic. This makes them slightly stronger, but it's at the expense of: (i) making the foil harder to cut, (ii) making it harder to shape (it keeps trying to spring back), and (iii) leaving little ragged bits of plastic at the cut edges that you have to trim away.

Toothpaste tubes are generally plastic and hard to shape. However, one tube that does work is tomato puree. It's not quite as malleable as lead (I think it's aluminium) but it keeps its shape; it's a single layer; it's quite thin; it contains tomato puree (which is good enough to eat on its own); and it's cheap.
sasman21
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
I use a thing called snoot foil. I use it in photography for well making snoots on my modelling lights and it is painted black so it is primed already. It is thicker than tin foil and thinner than take away food containers. I got my roll at Jessops and although it is about £30 you get 11m of the stuff
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Duct tape is good. It has cloth fibers which will stand up to repeated painting. Plus, as an added bonus, it doubles as a muting device when the better half starts ladying about all the time you're wasting making fashion accessories for plastic soldiers. Wives. You can either live with them; or, you can invest in a wood chipper.

Or you could treat her to l'Occitane hand & foot care products. The tupes are a nice thickness of metal foil when she's finished....
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 07:42 AM UTC
I use mostly wine or cognac bottles but I've used toothpaste tubes, pie or small tart tins and yogurt lids. I save any piece of foil from around the house and I always end up finding a use for it in some project somewhere. I've never had to buy any, it always just turns up somewhere.

cheers;

Bob
 _GOTOTOP