Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
That Aussie's in Iraq Diorama, 2006
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 06:14 PM UTC
Dear Adam
I love the cables.
What kind of materials did you used ??
Cheers
Seb

r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 09:06 PM UTC
This is just awesome Adam! I just can't imagine the time and effort you put in this build, absolutely mindblowing!
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 09:18 PM UTC
Yo Adam,

Still following this one...I just have to say that this will growing to a masterpiece!! Keep up!

From witch brand are the running childeren?

Greetz Nico
Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yo Adam,

From witch brand are the running childeren?

Greetz Nico

The running children aree modified from the european runing children set. I dont recall it being a "brand" as such, just got them cheap on ebay. Searched for 1:35 running children.

Adam
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 02:40 AM UTC
The vehicle line up looks great, Beauty Bro!

Cheers, Ski.
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 06:46 AM UTC
Yo Adam,

Quoted Text

The running children aree modified from the european runing children set. I dont recall it being a "brand" as such, just got them cheap on ebay. Searched for 1:35 running children.

Adam

Thanks Adam!

Keep building!

Greetz Nico
Outerarm
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi Adam,

I'm following this very closely and I'm constantly impressed and inspired by this build.

Is the end in sight?

Cheers,
Ian
Adamskii
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Adam,

I'm following this very closely and I'm constantly impressed and inspired by this build.

Is the end in sight?

Cheers,
Ian

it is in sight. but it feels a long way off - cant seem to do a single big job that throws me forward closer to the end, but rather I am stuck doing dozens of mundane small jobs , fix ups and repairs, catch ups and bypass revists. A lot of things were parked as issues that casued me to loose momentum and now its time to address these issues.

So yes the end draws near - 3 weeks to the competition. that said its 5 months to my local competition and that means so much more to me than the national one, so have many months to "tinker" and corrections from this show in a few weeks, and maybe add any cool accesories that pop out soon..

Adam
Adamskii
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 12:36 PM UTC
good morning folks. Had a very tight window of opportunity to do some modelling last night, so did one of those niggling jobs..

patched up the diorama base. Made a small slurry that was heavy in tile grout and filled in the edges. Also painted the veneer trim around the edges. i still have to make the patch the same colour as the road - thankfully I used natural colours and didnt mix paint for the road.

back corner

front corner

front edge

ALso some pics of the base now painted satin black. Much more approprioate for a armoured corps diorama. (black and chrome)

Adam
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 09:29 PM UTC
Yo Adam,

That's a very clean and need frame you showing here. Indeed you sure will need such firm structure to carry/hold this diorama.

Nice work!

Grt Nico
Outerarm
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 233 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

3 weeks to the competition.

Eek! That is not that long Good luck!

Quoted Text

that said its 5 months to my local competition and that means so much more to me than the national one, so have many months to "tinker" and corrections from this show in a few weeks, and maybe add any cool accesories that pop out soon..

That is a lot more comfortable!

Cheers,
Ian
Adamskii
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear Adam
I love the cables.
What kind of materials did you used ??
Cheers
Seb

Hey Seb, the cables are composite. some are 0.3mm solder, some are 0.5mm solder and some are 0.7mm solder. mostly 0.3mm is used. the large high tension cables are copper core approx 0.8mm stripped from household 3 core wiring. its a mess of which ones are which,, but they are all there.

Outerarm - your pic is still the most disturbing one yet. lol..

Adam
Adamskii
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 03:11 AM UTC
forgot to add some pics, received some of my badges in the mail today - and the plaque is ready to pick up so the base is pretty much complete now. I have painted the touched up road to match the colour, and re mounted the road into the frame.

I have added the two main units as far as I can tell, (If i'm wrong I know I will be corrected..) 2nd/14th light horse regiment (LHR) Queensland, and 2 Cav, aka the home of Aslavs.. were primary units occupying armoured roles in the OBG(W). I am sure 3/4 Cav was there, but not in the numbers that the other two were. anyways, have mounted their unit badges on the board. If someone wants to argue 3/4 Cav should be there , then I can mount it along with a corps bage for symmetry.

The coins I talked about a while ago, I have received them and they are awesome. I am not sure if I will mount them though as I like the simplicity of the unit badges and the plaque (brushed silver with black writing) centrally mounted.

Coins are TBA........

Heres what it looks like so far. (Almost there Outerarm.. almost there)

black frame and badges,

close up of badges

close ups of corners with diorama edging fixed and remounted.

the back

Adam
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 04:29 AM UTC
Truly impressive job
And thanks for the answer
Cheers
Seb
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 07:36 AM UTC
Looking Awesome Adam!! The base is very elegant.

Happy Modelling, -zon
Adamskii
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 02:36 PM UTC
got the plaque today! very happy ,... very happy...

Adam
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 04:01 PM UTC
Fear naught Adam. B3/4 did not and probably never will go to SECDET. Even when the LAVs were released 2/14 manned the Landcruisers. The only other Units deployed to SECDET were MPs, Sigs (FCU), AACC, and a Coy from one of the Battalions all on a rotation basis. So you are 100% correct with the badges and don't let anyone else tell you different.

Oh and by the way the base looks aweome. Love the plaque. The black always works well with the chrome.

Cheers, John
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hi Adam,

I've been enjoying your work for ages now...and finally joined the forum!

So it's about time I express both my admiration for your modelling skills and stamina...and my gratitude for the extremely professional WIP story around your superb diorama!
It's so inspirational and full of great ideas!
Deep bow to you Sir!!
Cheers
Romain
Adamskii
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

've been enjoying your work for ages now...and finally joined the forum!

Romain

Welcome Romain! Please enjoy and I always enjoy comments which could lead to improvement. There have been several in the blog from people that have made their way into the diorama so far.

Still plodding through very small things - decalling the vehicles is almost done. detailing vehicles almost done..

Quick declaration:

" I hate footman loops"!!, they continually break off from me holding the vehicle to do stuff. Along with a few other things that have had me spend a few hours crawling through the maw that is my carpet under the desk......

Be glad when its over.

Adam

EDIT
PS been asked what Assalamu 'Alaikum, Aussie means. In a very broad translation it is a muslim greeting 'peace be with you'. I spent some time talking to some muslim acquaintences and researching on the net, and if I understand this correctly, it is the duty of a Muslim to declare a greeting to another on meeting. The reply should be as good a gesture and should be better a greeting. there are many long forms and versions of the greeting which include Allah bestowing virtues and the like, and some rules too about how it is used, such as approaching a group of people, wheather its a man approaching a woman or woman approcahing other women etc. The most important rule that is of interest to me is when a non muslim greets a muslim, the return gesture down not have to be a better one, just an equal value one.

So an Australian (most likely not muslim ) may offer a greeting in Farsi or another dialect, and an appropriate reply is the simple gesture "peace be with you"

Quite appropriate for this diorama.

Adam
Adamskii
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2011 - 05:00 PM UTC
Happy days people!

Just dust coated the 3 Aslavs... look real nice if I dont say so myself.

will let that dry a bit ad then going to do some highlighting with dry brushing, and maybe add some mig pigment.

whats left to do on the vehicles?

-antennas and their tie downs (anyone got any 0.1mm lycra thread?)
-paint the figures...
-make it so all 8 wheels touch the ground with "weight"
- paint the mag.58 for the fitters (If I said I am playing with the idea of mounting an RWS on it, I would'nt be joking..)

Happy days people, happy days...

Going to have a bit of break - been getting lots done and I feel Ihave had a breakthrough!

the diorama shortlist..
- glue down the carts
-glue down the figures
-glue doen the boxes on the road
-add surplus wires to buildings
-glue a ladder down
-add cigarette box on building top
-add transistor radio to workmens scaffold
-add brass bullet cases to damaged buildings (evidence of fighting long ago)
-fill the buckets with mortar
-add mortar boards to scaffold

and

-when they arrive - paint the dog and the other two women!

happy days people. this could be finished with a week IF i dont get caught up with work etc.

Adam

PS no pics at the moment, will do that after the drybrushing.
Removed by original poster on 05/21/11 - 12:02:20 (GMT).
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 01:01 AM UTC
Not long to go now. I don't know/remember if you have seen this drawing of mine Adam. But here it is again. Total length from memory is 93mm long.

Cheers Jason

Adamskii
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 02:14 AM UTC
Thanks for that Jason. No I have not seen it and was about to go searching for Antenna pics (that old chestnut). They are the vhf antennas?

I am going to bed now - have a wretched flu/ virus again - but I leave withaprting pic of them painted, weathered, sand dusted, dry brushedwashed etc. Other than fixing up damage from handling - the tyres need patching, an the antennas (thanks Jason).. vehicles are done!

teaser.. more to follow when I feel better.

note tow cables and decals also the AFV club laser coated stickers for the lenses..

Adam, sick cough spluter ouchy
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 03:34 AM UTC
Figure 5

Left: HF (All RT-F100 fitted vehicles )

Centre: Old VHF (All Pre VECRS and AN/VIC-3. Shakespear)

Right: New VHF (All RT-F200 fitted vehicles)

Stick with the right one for the vehicle radios and the centre for the Shakespear on the right rear of the vehicles then you can't go wrong. Don't forget that the Shakespear is longer than the comms antennas. When mounted on the right rear of a Gun car its almost the same height as the comms antennas on the turret. Its the one for the other set of box that shall not be named.

John
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 07:18 AM UTC
Wish you a speedy recovery Adam!!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the competition!

Thanks for the teaser!!! Those vehicles look fantastic!!!! Eager to see more!!

You are among the very few with equal talent for all the different parts in
dio-building (location, figures and vehicles..and attention to detail for all of them).

Your to-do list is a proof of your attention to even the tiniest details!!!

This diorama is a real masterpiece...and a perfect model how to handle this fascinating activity! Reminds me of the Shep Paine lessons I've learned over the decades!!

and Aleikum Salaam to you!

Romain