_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
First build - Tamiya Stug III.Ausf.G "Sturmi"
Bigmek
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 03:49 AM UTC
Hello!

This will be my first post but I've been lurking here for some time! A few months ago I happened to stumble over some pictures of an amazing diorama (think it was actually on this site!) which triggered a flashback to when i was like 10 years old and used to build models of airplanes. I remembered how fun it was and decided that I have to start building again so now ten years since last time I've just finished my first AFV!

Since I really enjoy seeing other peoples work I decided to share some pictures of my build, consider it as my way of saying thanks for everything I've learnt by reading this forum!

The kit I've built is Tamiyas Stug III.Ausf.G in finnish service!

I had some trouble with the lighting so i decided to take the model outside. Cant say that i enjoyed crawling around in the snow trying to get close enough to the model!

(Please ignore the pink notebook )

I decided to use real twigs instead of the plastic logs in the kit which i think would had been to hard for me to make realistic looking.

It's nowhere near as good as the models you guys are posting here (they are amazing!) but i had alot of fun building this one and im looking forward to my next project! I hope you like it!

Cheers
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
Welcome to the forum,really impressive work.The branches look great,nice amount of weathering overall,and the tracks came out well.
MikkoFIN
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 06:13 AM UTC
Good Finnish StuG III.
brynje
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 176 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 10:17 AM UTC
this is a good comeback I must say. Everything looks really good.
And I think it was a good idea with the real branches. They look like they are "in scale" so that's better than the plastic
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 - 12:04 PM UTC
great first post Christian, clean build, nice camo paintwork and the wood armour is very well done.

if your looking for constructive feedback i'd have to ask you if you find the antennas a bit thick? they look like they are made from stretched sprue and, without any references in front of me, i wonder if they are a bit fat?

the only other feedback i could offer is to not have us wait to long to see your next project as this one is quite smashing. cheers, bd.
wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:36 AM UTC
Talk about making an entrance! Nice stuff. The tough thing about using real "sticks" for logs is to get a good scale look. Those are spot on.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 04:57 PM UTC
Nice job here Christan. Welcome to the site.
I like the whole kit you did here including to twigs, nice touch and the camo job, was that brushed or sprayed? Weathering is just right too. The only thing I see that can be improved on is the seams on the arm of the commander could use a little putty
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 10:19 PM UTC
Turned out well for a first build. Actually, it turned out well for a tenth build. One question. Why do you have a pink notebook to begin with?
CanDid
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 08:21 AM UTC
Great to see a Finnish Assault Gun, a nice object and a really nice build in deed.

Also nice to see a build of Marjatta from the Lappland war era. Kill-marks, logs, tracks and concrete reinforcements on the hull, details that really makes the Finnish Sturmi stand out, you have them all.

As many have mentioned before me, I really like the attention to details you have put into the build with the real wooden logs and the camouflage, nice!

A very small detail, but If you want to improve it furthermore you could remove the celluloid covers for the periscopes.

Do you have any plans to make a diorama for this beautiful Sturmi?
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi Christian,

A very good effort. Good construction and paint work.
I think this piece will look great in a diorama.

Good work.

Garth
filthpig
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 11:04 AM UTC
no critique here! great job. have some fun and buy a stowage set. that's always my favorite part, adding kit bags and such. thanks for the contribution!
Bigmek
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 02:23 AM UTC
Thank you so much for the nice words! I really appreciate it!

I just realised that i had not answered this thread, thats rude of me and im sorry but i just forgot about it. I hope late is better than never atleast!

The green is airbrushed but the brown and the greyish is painted with a brush. Im not that familiar with the airbrush yet so i felt brushpainting it would be alot easier and much less likely to ruin the whole model. .

About the branches i must say im very pleased how it turned out! It gives the model a "living" feeling which i think would have been very hard for me to acheive with the plastic ones. I hadnt anticipated how hard it would be to find branches that were straight enough though!

I agree that the commanders arms and the antennas need fixing. After that i'll maybe build a small diorama with it just to try it out but first i have to finnish the CV90 model im currently building!

Thanks again for your comments!

(The pink notebook is my sisters )

//Christian
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 03:09 AM UTC
Christian, simply a great 1st effort. The basics are perfect. Your decision to keep the weathering on the lite site came out great. And your use of real wooden 'logs" was well thought out. They look in scale, and I agree with you that it would have been nearly impossible to reproduce that look in plastic. Sometimes the easy way, is the best way.

After the comment about your antennas , I went back and looked at them. The top looks in scale, while the bottom looks too thick. I'm assuming they were made from stretched sprue which creates that natural tapper. It's a detail that's easy to overlook. I've gone to model RC steel wire, and plastic tubing to make antennas that I've had to replace as my 1st replacement efforts were less then spectacular.

Again, congratulations on a great 1st effort.
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC
Lookin' good. I love the Finnish camo and the use of the real twigs. Looks great!
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 06:35 PM UTC
I've never liked this site...the models of the people who post "this is my first build" ALWAYS without a doubt turn out more impressive than my builds, and I've been building for near ten years now!! This is an outstanding piece of art you have created, and the camo is even more impressive knowing that the majority of it is hand-painted! As everyone else mentioned, the twigs add a fantastic amount of realism--something I strive for in all my models. My only suggestion is concerning the weathering. You did a great job dirtying up the main body, but I feel like a bit more could be done to the tracks and wheels. They definitely look "used," but not as much "dirty..." try caking some pigment onto the tracks and wheels. Also, your display in the snow is great, but it looks a little dark for my eyes if you were hoping for a winter-period look. Maybe a quick spray from far away with white or a VERY light grey could get some extra wear to the body? But again, I'm pointing these things out because I'm so ing jealous of your modeling abilities. Keep up the unbeatable work, and I hope to see more from you soon!!
 _GOTOTOP