_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-62 Chechnyan war
SzGergo
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi guys!

My name is Gergo Szaszko from Ireland. If nobody knows my name that's not an coincidental, couse I've made before only second world war's tanks. But it was a littlebit too much to see on every compatition, that again a new panther, tiger, kingtiger ect. So I started to read about modern things, but I was living too long in the past and the new thing didn't catch me so much, exept the modern russian things!
So couple a weeks ago I decided, that I start something. More than 4 years ago my friend Aron Vrbovszki gave me a photo about a T-62. In the first time i didn't realise, that what a big treasure is in my hand. When I decided, I start to build a modern russian thing, my first thought was this photo. So let me share with you guys this and let's start this topic.

That's what I want to build. I was looking for better quality, but I didn1t find any. But I found another vehicle, just this is the 1972 version, mine is 1962!

First of all I started to build the suspension. I had to do for movable, couse I don't have a base at the moment, and I don't know how it will be standing on the ground. So I've made holes on the hull for first step, and I've made holes on the swing arms' end as well. But before I had to sealed the top of the swing arms, couse the trumpeter made all the suspension' halls with a half circle version!

I was making the welding. And I also started the turret.

I thought, I won't change the back part of the hull, but I heard, that it's inaccurate. I thought, I don't mind, but the mistake so big, that I can not ignore it, I will cut it and fix it. The turret also wrong, but I don't want to do another turret.

I see now on the macro photos, that I've made some mistakes, but I will fix it all of them. That's where I'm now, my next days off will be on Monday Tuesday, so I hope I can start the work with the P.E.

Thanks for read!

Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 06:06 PM UTC
I'll be following your build. I'm wondering what you use for the welding effect.
NemetskyCzar
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 10:16 PM UTC
Gergo,
Interesting vehicle you've chosen!
Bog standard T-62, with T-72 style track, sand bag armour, spare track as stand off armour AND the automatic shell ejector welded shut/door removed!
I can't wait for the pros to comment on that last feature!
Good luck with you build.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 01:23 AM UTC
I love those photos on the T-62 ... where can I find more?

Good luck on your build! You're off to a great start!

- Jeff
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AND the automatic shell ejector welded shut/door removed!

Personaly I don't see anything unusual with the shell ejector door. That raised rim around it is part of the original hatch:

(from http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com )

@Gergo: Great choice of subject! These are some of my all time favourite modern armour pictures. One of these days I'll make my own try. Looking forward to your progress here!

Cheers,
/E
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 02:42 AM UTC
what did you use to make the weld seams?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 09:00 AM UTC
Great build so far Gergo- the details you've added are really nice, especially what you've added to the inside and outside of the commander's cupola. Some great pics from Chechnya aswell.
SzGergo
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 01:36 PM UTC
Hi all!

Thanks the nice world!
At Morales and Matt, I used a hungarian two component putty, that called A+B Putty. I bought in the Tesco 2 years ago, but they don't distributes anymore Unfortunately I almost used all of mine, so I have to looking for something else soon!

At Ian, Thanks mate, you don't have to wait too long, monday night is coming the update!

At Jeff, Unfortunately, I didn't find any else as well. But trust me I've tried!!! As I wrote before the first photo was a present for me from my dear friend!

At Erik, Thanks for the good photos! and for the link! Unfortunately they has only 1972 model But if you have a link for 1962 type please share with us it!

At Karl, Thanks for you as well. I added at the moment only the Putty what I used for the welding as well. But I'm not too happy with the result yet, so I'm working on it!

Thanks again guys! Coming back soon wit updates!

Cheers: Gergo
NemetskyCzar
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 08:03 PM UTC
Erik von Rosen, I beg to differ.
"Personaly I don't see anything unusual with the shell ejector door. That raised rim around it is part of the original hatch"

I see neither raised rim NOR hatch, I see a weld line.

Opinions please?
newtonk
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 09:35 PM UTC
you're both correct, as you're both looking at and referencing different photos. Model the vehicle you want, based on the references you have.

I've a T 62 I want to do, also in the Chechyna conflict and am gathering photos with the slat armour.

Nice build by the way.

Kylie
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At Erik, Thanks for the good photos! and for the link! Unfortunately they has only 1972 model But if you have a link for 1962 type please share with us it!

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=919

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?np=1&p=1837

http://www.fotovalkirumodelism.com/page.php?page=539

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat_cid_211.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?cid=423&orderby=date%20ASC&show=12&min=0

http://www.army.lv/files/246.pdf

http://army.lv/ru/t-62/foto/631/19#info
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
I am building the trumpeter t62 also an am really excited to see the progress that you've done.I hope mind comes out as great as yours so some of the ideas your using I will most likely use. Keep up the great work an I will be following your build closely. I can't wait to see how you paint it because for me that will be the hardest part is the painting.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Erik von Rosen, I beg to differ.
"Personaly I don't see anything unusual with the shell ejector door. That raised rim around it is part of the original hatch"

I see neither raised rim NOR hatch, I see a weld line.

Opinions please?

Well Ian, I think it depends just on the pic quality

A t-62 without that hatch wouldn't work correctly

cheers
NemetskyCzar
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 11:23 PM UTC
Mauro,
I am well aware how the auto door usually looks, however that is not what we are looking at in the first image in this thread.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u179/gszaszko/T-62/0000364122-043.jpg
Look at where the spent rounds are, look at the troop laying on the engine deck. If the auto ejector worked as originally manufactured the Comrade on the engine deck would be nursing hot brass(steel, alloy,..whatever) every time the main gun fired, further the spent rounds would litter the engine deck, not be 2.5 , 3 metres distant as if thrown out of the turret by the loader who can coincidently be seen in a later image popping in /out of the open hatch.
I recall reading recently that one failing with the T62 was that if the auto eject hatch was mis-aligned or mis-timed the spent brass canoned back into the turret injuring the crew. Were I the loader I might look into whether the auto eject needed to be "improved".
At any rate you don't have to convince me, it's not my build, it's Gergo's.
G'day for now.
Ian.
SzGergo
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 02:56 AM UTC
Guys!

Thanks you so much the loads of answers! I don't mind if here is a smale discussion about that part of the T-62, couse I want to learn from this vehicle, so go on!
Anyway I have another problem and it looks like nobody saw that. Look at the hatch of the engine block! That is a late version one!!!!!!! But the turret defenetly an early one. Or it is again my mistake and I don't know that this kind of T-62 made with two diferent engine deck? see photo below:

Early type

and a late one

and my one

Maybe my tank is a field modification? Early turret late hull?

Cheers: Gergo
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
As I have a semi build 62 version in stash,I'm very intrested in this build,will follow this for further improvements and comments!

greetz Tha Pit
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mauro,
I am well aware how the auto door usually looks, however that is not what we are looking at in the first image in this thread.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u179/gszaszko/T-62/0000364122-043.jpg
Look at where the spent rounds are, look at the troop laying on the engine deck. If the auto ejector worked as originally manufactured the Comrade on the engine deck would be nursing hot brass(steel, alloy,..whatever) every time the main gun fired, further the spent rounds would litter the engine deck, not be 2.5 , 3 metres distant as if thrown out of the turret by the loader who can coincidently be seen in a later image popping in /out of the open hatch.
I recall reading recently that one failing with the T62 was that if the auto eject hatch was mis-aligned or mis-timed the spent brass canoned back into the turret injuring the crew. Were I the loader I might look into whether the auto eject needed to be "improved".
At any rate you don't have to convince me, it's not my build, it's Gergo's.
G'day for now.
Ian.

that's a good mark for you Ian. I've read on internet that in t-62 currently in service, automatic ejection shell equipment is actually disabled, because it caused problems

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=reply&forum_id=122&topic_id=177303&post_id=1489357&page=1

Anyway, in my humble opinion there are no external differences. Probably the hatch has been welded, but a thin weld seam is always visible around that turret hatch

Thanks a lot for the explication

Quoted Text

Maybe my tank is a field modification? Early turret late hull?

Gergo, maybe i'm wrong, because unfortunately your pics are small, but it seems to me that your T-62 has a 1962 hull with some version 1972 improvements. Looking at the detail which you highlighted, the engine deck looks to belong to a 1962 version, but tracks are T-72 type (version 1972)

Cheers
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 05:23 AM UTC
Gergo,

There are three basic production variants of the T-62: Model 1962, 1967 and 1972.

Basic differences are:
1962: Early engine deck (with wading rails), early turret (no 12.7mm)
1967: Late engine deck (wading hatches), early turret.
1972: Late engine deck, late turret (with 12.7mm)

The one in the picture is a 1967 so one have to mix the Trumpeter 1962 (turret) and 1972 (engine deck) to make it.

Regarding the shell ejection hatch I still think it's the original hatch. The photo is taken in an angle and have such a low resolution that the original rim (that already have a rather crude weld) combined with chipped paint makes it look strange in the close up. Look at the lower left part of the rim in the close up where it is narrowing at the edge of the photo, just like the original hatch do. Regarding the ejection mechanism I can also remember reading somewere that it didn't work very well but I don't think the users have seen that as a reason to weld it shut. I have a couple of pictures of crews using the hatch for loading shells into the turret (one below). In other photos it seem to be used as ventilation(?). Note that one have the hatch open while all casings are laying on the right side.

Here are some low res photos from the conflict:
http://pvo.guns.ru/weapon/engl/index.htm

Cheers,
/E
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Regarding the shell ejection hatch I still think it's the original hatch. The photo is taken in an angle and have such a low resolution that the original rim (that already have a rather crude weld) combined with chipped paint makes it look strange in the close up. Look at the lower left part of the rim in the close up where it is narrowing at the edge of the photo, just like the original hatch do. Regarding the ejection mechanism I can also remember reading somewere that it didn't work very well but I don't think the users have seen that as a reason to weld it shut. I have a couple of pictures of crews using the hatch for loading shells into the turret (one below). In other photos it seem to be used as ventilation(?). Note that one have the hatch open while all casings are laying on the right side.

Here are some low res photos from the conflict:
http://pvo.guns.ru/weapon/engl/index.htm

Cheers,
/E

I agree with you Erik
SzGergo
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 06:06 AM UTC
Hi Erik!

Thank you so much this information. I'm lucky, couse one month ago I ordered for myself one late T-62 as well, so I've already started to build it up the parts in to it
Thanks again!
More updates soon.

cheers: Gergo
SzGergo
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 04:48 AM UTC
Hi guys!

As I promised before here are the new photos. This case shows how I'm standing now before the soldering job. Mostly I fixed my mmistakes, forexample the shell ejector's door welding and I had to rework the hinde of it as well.
But tell the story my photos:

I hope you like it!
Cheers
Gergo
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 06:33 AM UTC
Outstanding job so far

congratulations
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 08:40 AM UTC
Awesome fine detail work Gergo- looking real good.
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:55 AM UTC
nice job!
NemetskyCzar
Visit this Community