_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Site Feedback
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 20:21:32 (GMT).
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 05:15 AM UTC
I understand what you're saying. But I'm afraid the contents are not what's wrong it's people's feedback. There aren't a lot of "constructive" comments for the blogs started.
I did a build log of Bronco's M1114 that's a new kit, pretty interesting and awaited by many. I got a small number of comments and a good number of views. it looks to me that not many people are willing to type something more that good - bad - ugly How many people even take the time to click the button on reviews that says was this review helpful?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand what you're saying. But I'm afraid the contents are not what's wrong it's people's feedback. There aren't a lot of "constructive" comments for the blogs started.
I did a build log of Bronco's M1114 that's a new kit, pretty interesting and awaited by many. I got a small number of comments and a good number of views. it looks to me that not many people are willing to type something more that good - bad - ugly How many people even take the time to click the button on reviews that says was this review helpful?

Yip kinda sums it up, feedback used to be much better. Now if you do a blog you migtht get two or three people who respond but on pretty much every blog I've done when you finish the build people say zero, which does leave you wondering why you bothered, regardless of how many actual hits the thread takes peopel just don't seem bothered to add anything never mind anything constructive. My recent Cursader Gun Tractor blog being a prime example.

Al
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 20:21:41 (GMT).
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
I would appreciate this as well. Even two years ago people were posting blogs. Now, it is a "here's the finished" model site. I meticulousy document the build, as it seems to be the most benificial to others. On the other hand, if you want quick questions answered, just look them up in the search box. And, since I'm on the topic of searches, I think there should be an "advanced search" option. I am constantly looking for reviews of items and have to slosh through tons of anything happening to mention it. For one, "buy, sell, and trade" could be done away with in searches. Choices in "advanced search" mode would be reviews and news, and then all other searches.
I know it would be a hassle, but I have set up a 50k document filing system before. I'd even be happy to help with it or do it by myself, given time.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 11:45 AM UTC
I don't do many build logs but I do document my build process in the campaigns treads, describing my build process, problems, an so forth. I will also ask for help and suggestions from others in the campaign, which benefits all readers not just me. I also ask for constructive comments as they help me improve. Some I listen to some I don't mainly because they involve products I don't have or can't get. I occasionally comment on other builds but when I see what I think is a great build and 15 other people have already said so, I usually don't add my .02 cents
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 20:21:53 (GMT).
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would appreciate this as well. Even two years ago people were posting blogs. Now, it is a "here's the finished" model site. I meticulousy document the build, as it seems to be the most benificial to others. On the other hand, if you want quick questions answered, just look them up in the search box. And, since I'm on the topic of searches, I think there should be an "advanced search" option. I am constantly looking for reviews of items and have to slosh through tons of anything happening to mention it. For one, "buy, sell, and trade" could be done away with in searches. Choices in "advanced search" mode would be reviews and news, and then all other searches.
I know it would be a hassle, but I have set up a 50k document filing system before. I'd even be happy to help with it or do it by myself, given time.

Matt the easiest way to check for a review of a specific item is to select the reviews tab on the home page, then select the manufacturer who makes the item from the drop down menu. The next page allows you to thin out the reviews even further by selecting a specific area of interest.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 05:11 AM UTC
Matt, great topic...

Quoted Text

More build logs, active build logs, tons more, give the viewer something to read.

As others have said, lack of 'enthusiasm' in the build logs is a killer, no fun putting all that time and effort into documenting the build if you feel you're the only one who cares about it. Granted, just saying 'nice job' isn't everybody's cup of tea, but at least the builder knows there's someone in the audience!

Members adding Build Features is another option, one of my favorites is a build only:

Puma Build

Quoted Text

Put all the problem related stuff in one area, and start pinning stuff, little articles covering the most common problems, then pin it.

I've found that pinned threads get overlooked, taking the Painting forum as an example...there is a pinned thread on a weathering sequence, yet many times questions are asked that can be answered there. Maybe a 'start here' or beginners forum would be beneficial?

Quoted Text

A Gallery, some people cant be bothered to read, that's a fact of life, get a gallery section, (and I dont mean that kitmaker one that you have log into), and fill it with finished models, finished only, no part built nonsense.

Photo Features are a great place to view finished models which doesn't involve logging into the Gallery.

Quoted Text

I am constantly looking for reviews of items and have to slosh through tons of anything happening to mention it.

Searching for reviews...as Darren pointed out, the various tabs in the review menu narrows things down a bit.

Using the search function as an example, I typed in Marder III review and got this page which has a nice selection of kits, books, AM items, etc.

Search result
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 20:22:06 (GMT).
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 08:01 AM UTC
I agree Matt, nothing beats a good, interactive build log. I only mentioned the build feature as another option, and one that is easier to locate and permanent...I despise finding a build log I'm interested in only to find all the images have been deleted from the authors photo hosting account!

One area that I can push harder in to get more build logs done is review items, in-box reviews are at their best when followed by a build log. And no better place to start with than myself... and get going on that Trumpeter Waffentrager
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

The reason build featuers tend to get added is that build blogs don't always last. It depends who does them but pics get deleted or moved bacause of space issues and blogs can also go off in other directions quite easily. Plus the fact they disappear into the the the great blog in the sky hole.

I'd agree the layout isn't perfect in the featuers section, but wih the systems we have to work with then they at least provide a permanent record of the build. I don't have a space issue with photo bucket, but I pay for this, I do link back to the build blog and leave my pics there, but that's only in the last 18 months/2years. If you go back further then it's quite likely whatever was there has gone as I reorganised my account and folders got moved and unnecessary pics deleted when space was an issue.

I'm not sure I'd agree that it's only finished pics that get commented on. For me it's the opposite, I usually get some interaction during the build but when it's done silence . That could be becasue the build is crap or just that people have taken what they wanted from it and can't be bothered to comment on the finished article. I'm probably close to the point of just posting up finished pictuers of the build for constructive comments and ignoring all the hassel that goes with a blog and worrying about the silent ending .

There is probably a case for a home for retired blogs to make it easier for people to look up stuff if they want. Many though would probably be lacking in what was originallly there.

Al
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 20:22:19 (GMT).
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've had the same results on my two build threads. My current build thread on the Academy M3A1 Stuart, has over 1,600 hits but just 19 posts. I've found it rather strange that so many modelers take the time to look at my modeling efforts, yet don't offer an opinion or suggestion. From the number of hits, which I figure should double by the end of the thread, most have to be guys coming back for the frequent updates. It's not a OOB build, so more then 15 guys must have something to say or offer.

Coming from a military aircraft modeling background, the sites that I frequented seemed to have the opposite ratio of posts to just hits.

I enter my build threads in the constructive Feedback forum because I want feedback to help me become a better armor modeler. And I must say that the few posts I've had, have offered some great feedback.

Come on guys, POST. It's a forum that only will get better if we all become active members rather then just treating it like a online library.
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've had the same results on my two build threads. My current build thread on the Academy M3A1 Stuart, has over 1,600 hits but just 19 posts. I've found it rather strange that so many modelers take the time to look at my modeling efforts, yet don't offer an opinion or suggestion. From the number of hits, which I figure should double by the end of the thread, most have to be guys coming back for the frequent updates. It's not a OOB build, so more then 15 guys must have something to say or offer.

Coming from a military aircraft modeling background, the sites that I frequented seemed to have the opposite ratio of posts to just hits.

I enter my build threads in the constructive Feedback forum because I want feedback to help me become a better armor modeler. And I must say that the few posts I've had, have offered some great feedback.

Come on guys, POST. It's a forum that only will get better if we all become active members rather then just treating it like a online library.

There should be a way to combine the information on this site. reviews, build logs, forum posts, campaigns... are all very useful and addressing different people, and different circumstances. I woudl love to be able to go for a specific topic (e.g. Tiger tanks) and find all the info from reviews, campagins, forum, build logs, aftermarket stuff, pictures realted to this subject on one neatly organised page
 _GOTOTOP