Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Hot off the Grille
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 04:57 AM UTC
Nathan, every update just supersedes the previous ones. Your weathering skills are so far advanced it's just mind boggling.
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 05:51 AM UTC
wow, it's spectacular and the paint job does it justice!
rholmstr
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 08:24 AM UTC
ABSOLUTLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Bob
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC
Nathan,PE doesn't stand for photo etch ,it stands for practicly exhausting Man,you have bigger stones than I do.That is just about the sweetist thing i've seen in a long time Jeff
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 07:50 AM UTC
Nathan,

Every update is better then the last. Your PE work is only superseded by your weathering. Absolutely in a class by itself.
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 01:23 PM UTC
Just read of your primer problems, that must have been grim. I've just had a similar experience having to strip off all the paint on the plane I was doing (read here that window cleaner will lift acrylic), "Mr Muscle Window Cleaner" sold here in Scotland worked a treat and I have just finished the model and definitely made the right decision because "it just wasn't right".
Your work so far is excellent.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 04:41 PM UTC

Nathan,

Your work is simply stunning. Thanks for the thumbs up on the Vallejo primer, I have been debating whether or not I should run some down but you have convinced me it will be worth it. Looking forward to see the last few stages.

Rick
nathan211
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 05:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys, working at a snails pace lately. I usually use oils for scratches and worn edges but I'm trying out some vallejo with a 5/0 brush. I have only chipped the gun assembly so far. How does the chipping look? I'm not too sure I like it so far. Anyone have any good tips on doing chipping with acrylics?

nathan211
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nathan,

Your work is simply stunning. Thanks for the thumbs up on the Vallejo primer, I have been debating whether or not I should run some down but you have convinced me it will be worth it. Looking forward to see the last few stages.

Rick

Rick I think you will love it! It works very well out of my Iwata. I bought the grey primer cause I like a light color to see all my screw ups from the build phase. I also bought the dark yellow for poops, and laughs and it is pretty dark! Haven't tried any of the other colors.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 02:24 AM UTC
Nahan, the paint chipping looks very realistic. The entire weathering process came out incredible. Worn painted areas look like realistic with the bare metal having that worn polished look.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 03:08 PM UTC
This looks very nice. Glad to see you came out on top of the primer problem. If you watched my build, you know I crashed and burned. I'll remember the brake fluid next time.

Lol. Anyways, this looks amazing! I know we talked earlier about camouflages, have any ideas come up? I can post some pics if that may help.

BTW, have you tried using sponges / foam for doing chipping. I feel it is a million times easier to control over a brush.
nathan211
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 03:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This looks very nice. Glad to see you came out on top of the primer problem. If you watched my build, you know I crashed and burned. I'll remember the brake fluid next time.

Lol. Anyways, this looks amazing! I know we talked earlier about camouflages, have any ideas come up? I can post some pics if that may help.

BTW, have you tried using sponges / foam for doing chipping. I feel it is a million times easier to control over a brush.

Yeah I spent a ton of time getting rid of the 1st primer, and rebuilding everything that came apart during the cleaning! I have decided on a sharp edged camo with irregular triangles, and rectangles with small sharp feathered arrows. You know what I speak of? the idea of a worn winter whitewash over camo using the hairspray method crossed my mind too. I have the nuts and bolts Grille book with tons of great pics.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 05:31 AM UTC
I got a new panzer wrecks book with a different hard edge camo on the 138H. I like it better than the Normandy one you speak of. I will post it later. I forget the Panzerwreck number, but it is a really good volume if you are looking to get more references.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 09:55 PM UTC
Nice work!

nathan211
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 04:19 PM UTC
Now were cooking!! Had some recent time off of work, and what better way to spend some free time than work on my never ending project! The interior is about 95% done, I have glued the fighting compartment walls in place, and surprisingly they matched up pretty well. Alot of time was spent researching and finishing the radios, I did not know how everything was wired before, but now I'm an expert!! HA HA! I scratch built the headset and throat mic, and used the thinnest wiring I have in my arsenal! I used a thicker brass wiring for the power cables for the units. I thought it would be a nice touch to add some fallen leaves into some corners to add interest, and I am trying to figure out another item or two I can add to give it that lived in look.
Now I am focusing on adding all the extra bits to the exterior, and get it ready for camouflage. I am tossing around the idea of hairspraying it before the camoflouge so I can add realistic chipping and fading to it.
The top tank here is what I have pretty much decided as my pattern.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi Nathan. Fantastic build. Great etch work, and the painting compliments this perfectly. The radio set looks excellent in the fighting compartment. Any plans for figures to give this all some life?
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 02:33 AM UTC
Nathan - Nice work! After building the old Dragon Imperial version of this kit for a friend I don't think I'll ever go back. You made it look easy. You also get my vote for best avatar ... she reminds me of a girl I had a bad moment with back in college.

nathan211
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nathan - Nice work! After building the old Dragon Imperial version of this kit for a friend I don't think I'll ever go back. You made it look easy. You also get my vote for best avatar ... she reminds me of a girl I had a bad moment with back in college.

LOL!! Sorry to hear that!
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 03:55 AM UTC
Another great reference build for anything that moves and carries the 15cm.
nathan211
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another great reference build for anything that moves and carries the 15cm.

Thank you, yeah I am finding these vehicles very fascinating!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 12:13 AM UTC
Nathan, simply an outstanding build. Your PE skills are superb. Interior painting,and weathering is so realistic it's not funny.
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Armorama: 246 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC
Beautifull job Nathan, You have inspored me to put this one on my list.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 06:28 AM UTC
Your weathering is very tasteful.

Nice weld seams on the tarpine holders as well. That was a tiny detail to sneak in. You didn't have enough with all the photoetch?
nathan211
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your weathering is very tasteful.

Nice weld seams on the tarpine holders as well. That was a tiny detail to sneak in. You didn't have enough with all the photoetch?

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you still like even though I added some speckles I tried to not over do it though. The tarp holders have eyelets on them which you might think are the weld beads. I should probably add weld beads though!
next week is my last week of class for a month, so I hope to really get some work done, if not finished on this beast.
nathan211
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 05:06 AM UTC
Finally got some cammo down!! This was an exercise in frustration! I used tamiya tape and cut it different widths.

The green coat was used mixing different tamiya greens, and it went on a little dark!

I had reference picture for the tanks left side, but had to use my imagination for rigth, back and front. I really hated the way the right side came out, and did not like the way most of the road wheels looked especially the peace sign.

sooo............ out came the tamiya tape and I added the base coat to break up the cammo some more, and fixed most of the wheels.

I then added the brown arrows with mixed tamiyas, and stencil. I added archer crosses, and the kits decal vehicle designations over future floor polish. I have also started painting all the tools, road wheel rubber, etc...
It looks a little rough now, but once the weathering starts it will really come together!!