Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pascal's M-ATV (Panda 1/35)
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 07:33 PM UTC
Thanks Steve for your constructives comments
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Coming along great! Few painting tips. The panels that cover the engine inside the wheel wells, paint them the same semi gloss black you used for your rear fenders. The cross antennae circular base on the rear, paint the top flat black. The exhaust is a bit too rusty, keep in mind the oldest operational M-ATV is only like 2 years old. The exhausts were usually a flat black color with some discoloration from the heat and some minor surface rust. Also, with the cargo area, make sure everything back there is tied down with some type of strap. I look forward to seeing more of your progress on this.

Steve

The M-ATVs came out around two years ago and are so much crap. They are not much improvement over a HMMV in my opinion but thats what the Government bought. You should see the way these thing look sometimes.

Anyway thanks for sharing.
Shift911
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Coming along great! Few painting tips. The panels that cover the engine inside the wheel wells, paint them the same semi gloss black you used for your rear fenders. The cross antennae circular base on the rear, paint the top flat black. The exhaust is a bit too rusty, keep in mind the oldest operational M-ATV is only like 2 years old. The exhausts were usually a flat black color with some discoloration from the heat and some minor surface rust. Also, with the cargo area, make sure everything back there is tied down with some type of strap. I look forward to seeing more of your progress on this.

Steve

The M-ATVs came out around two years ago and are so much crap. They are not much improvement over a HMMV in my opinion but thats what the Government bought. You should see the way these thing look sometimes.

How is that relevant to anything in this thread so far. Leave this with Pascals build please.
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 538 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Steve

Couldn't agree more. MARVa are garbage. That said, since my lifr isn't on, three line in them anymore out will be fun to build.

pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
As some people ask me, the mesh in the cargo bed are PEcoming from Scale Link (UK), reference SLF081
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 11:10 PM UTC
Here is the latest and greatest of the M-ATV
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 02:43 AM UTC
Can you get a picture or two of the new rear compartment? I hear they put a band aid on the f'd up ammo stowage issue by putting a sliding door in the back so you can reach into the cargo bed.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 03:42 AM UTC

[/quote]NO this item is not included. In fact most of the interior details are missing.

The cab look so empty that's s why I make my model totally closed[/quote]

Then what needs to be added.........SINGARS RADIO?........
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 04:12 AM UTC
SINGARs is not the most current unit out there. HARRIS radios like the AN/PRC-117, the Vehicle Adapter (VA) Kit, AN/PRC-148,and the SINGARS ASIP variants are commonly seen now along with other type of commo like TACSAT. Radio technology is one of those aspects of the military that has been advancing at a very rapid pace with these conflicts. Getting smaller, lighter, and more reliable commo has been a very high priority.

As an example, when we got our Cougars when we arrived in Ghazni, the previous units had not done any type of cable management when they installed new systems. As a result, our trucks were filled with tons of wires that led to nothing and were left over from SINGARS, Harris systems, TACSAT's etc.. not to mention the older CREW systems like Chameleon. We finally had to take them in one day and have the contractors pull every commo wire and totally rewire the trucks because our coms systems went down so often and it was damn near impossible to trouble shoot because of all the superfluous wires.
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

NO this item is not included. In fact most of the interior details are missing.

The cab look so empty that's s why I make my model totally closed[/quote]

Then what needs to be added.........SINGARS RADIO?........ [/quote]

The interior of the M-ATV, unlike the rest of it's MRAP cousins, is very spartan. This is simply because it's so small that there just isn't room for much in there. It's tighter than an 1114 in there, add 5 guys with a lot of body armor and gear and there isn't room for much else. I saw maybe a cooler once, some ammo on occasion, but honestly there just isn't much room in an M-ATV for anything, it's all stowed externally.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC
What it needs is an AN/VRC-110. Wouldn't you know it? One is coming out soon...
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 05:50 AM UTC
Excellent, that's great. We fell in on those but they didn't work very well so we ran ASIP's and TACSAT. Once we moved up north and switched out trucks, our MaxxPro's came with the MBITR vehicle adapters. Very interesting idea, just take your regular radios, be they Falcon II's or MBITR's and plug them into the truck. Gotta love inovation.
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 05:38 PM UTC
Some progress , adding the missing lines :

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 06:08 PM UTC
I like it much better with the panel lines. Unfortunately not everyone is going to have your skill. The kits ommission of them still bothers me.
Show us more!
SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:18 PM UTC
Great work!
Love the model.
Looking forward for new pictures

Cheers Daniel
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
Great work so far, Pascal.

Keep on going the good work and thanks for sharing your build with us.

cheers
Walter
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some progress , adding the missing lines :

Due some modification in my photobucket I reposte the pics :

SinMike
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 10:54 PM UTC
great build, just started my own and while doing some research stumbled upon this blog of someone building the m-atv, it is in korean but has some helpful tips specially on errors in the panda building instructions.

http://blog.naver.com/tech61/90128887901
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

great build, just started my own and while doing some research stumbled upon this blog of someone building the m-atv, it is in korean but has some helpful tips specially on errors in the panda building instructions.

http://blog.naver.com/tech61/90128887901

Thanks for this link. It is a good complement of informations;
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 10:55 PM UTC
A few pics with the brand new Real Model wheels :

liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 11:40 PM UTC
hi there..i admire your patience on this kit..i just finished the suspension assembly and the driver's seat and it's really pain in the neck. added the errors and chunky parts that won't fit. your project looks good..thanks for sharing. this is a good reference for building the kit. thanks again.
PavelS
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 06:04 PM UTC
Great - very educational thread...! Keep it coming!
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:07 PM UTC
Thanks.

The M-ATV finally got his wheels
I have the Real model and the Blast wheels set (thanks Milo for the set)

I choose the Blast Model set, here with a first paint job :

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hi all,

started today my own M-ATV model. To be honest I am disappointed by the kit. I was sceptic when I saw the flash on some sprues. Reminded me of some old Revell kit out of the 1970`s. The fitting is very poor in most areas, a lot of trimming and sanding required. O.K. it`s the first kit of the company, but.... I guess I have to invest some 46 Euros to the upcoming Kinetic model.

Sadly yours
Hans-Hermann
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

started today my own M-ATV model. To be honest I am disappointed by the kit. I was sceptic when I saw the flash on some sprues. Reminded me of some old Revell kit out of the 1970`s. The fitting is very poor in most areas, a lot of trimming and sanding required. O.K. it`s the first kit of the company, but.... I guess I have to invest some 46 Euros to the upcoming Kinetic model.

Sadly yours
Hans-Hermann

Totally agree with you !!!