_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Some mistakes about BRONCO's M24 Chaffee tank
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 09:31 AM UTC
Ahh, such a small miscalculation creating such a large problem. I just bought my Chaffee today and immediately checked for the error, which does indeed exist . To fix it would require cutting out the sloped front plate along the weld bead and adding a 1 1/2 mm strip in front of that bead and re-attaching the slope plate. That sloped plate will now have to be at a steeper angle (will that be correct?), and the top edge of the affected side plates will also have to be filled or corrected. I don't know if possibly hacking up an otherwise nice model is worth the trouble. An atlernative is to substitute the older Italeri turret, as someone previously stated Italeri got the bend line in the right place, but they forgot the weld seam (no big deal there!). As for myself, I think I'll just remove the incorrect weld bead from the ventilator to the right side.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 09:44 AM UTC
Seriously... it's less than a mm. I really do not care. The rest of the kit appears fantastic. I've been going through my ever-growing Chaffee references, and this thing is spot on. I do plan on changing around the order of many instructions, but all the right bits are there.
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 402 posts
Armorama: 393 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 04:31 AM UTC
I have heard on another forum that Bronco is correcting the problem with a new turret...anyone else head this?

Brad
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 04:45 AM UTC
Yes

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/190077&page=1
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 06:25 AM UTC
Of note in Jim's message...

Any kits sent FROM bronco after February 1st have the revised turret top.

So if you don't already own one, if you buy a new one now, you're getting the revised kit.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 06:42 AM UTC
Assuming that the one in your LHS was not manu'd before Feb 1st. Is there any indicator on the packaging to let you know one way or another?
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 06:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the link!

Brad
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Assuming that the one in your LHS was not manu'd before Feb 1st. Is there any indicator on the packaging to let you know one way or another?

Doubt it. I would 'think' that these kits would move off the shelves relatively quickly. But I don't have a good feel for the timeframe between they ship out of Bronco's distribution center, across oceans, through local distribution centers, to local hobby shops, etc.
ABRAHAM
Visit this Community
Chang-hua, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 09:29 PM UTC
It's good to see the Bronco try to fix their turret's problem and hope them can also correct the other problem about chassis ,the manhole's raised too much.

link:http://www.fotopu.com/image/130976
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's good to see the Bronco try to fix their turret's problem and hope them can also correct the other problem about chassis ,the manhole's raised too much.

Sorry, is it just me or does anybody else think this is being silly , sure the turret can be seen to be wrong but this hatch sticking out too much and Bronco rectifying it is pushing it.It's under the tank when all said and done. In any case easily rectified with some sanding down or I'm sure in most cases its of such little consequence modellers won't even bother.

Alan

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's grand they have fixed the turret issue, hats off to Brnco, not many manufacturers would bother.

This observation though seems like nit picking in the extreme, good infomration to know, but I doubt if anyone will be that concerned about the depth of a hatch underneath the chassis and it would seem like a simple home fix for those who might want to make it.

I haven't bought a kit yet that was perfect and I doubt I ever will. I don't understand why every kit has to get pulled apart? Identify any problems and use your skill to fix them if it concerns you, otherwise build and enjoy is my thinking.

Al

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 11:36 PM UTC
I got one of the newer kits from Bronco and it does have the corrected turret to confirm that they are getting the new turret.
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 04:09 AM UTC
Just out of curiosity, how does one know if they have a kit with the fixed turret? Is there a date someone on the box or in the instructions? I just picked up the kit on Thursday. Lovely model and nice to include the figures. Now if only someone would do a figure of Sgt Duffy!

Cheerio

Brad
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, is it just me or does anybody else think this is being silly

Alan

It's not just you.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Grow up, you really acting like a kid on the playground. Bronco have done Masses by correcting the turret, all kits have minor and major mistakes, hell, thats what AM, and scratchbuilding( or a shedload of mud ) is for, do you pay that much attention when buying a car or house, not everything is perfect. get used to it and be grateful for what you have.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, is it just me or does anybody else think this is being silly

Silly to the extreme!!

Mike
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whilst it is good to see Bronco have rectified the major problem you indicated Abraham I don't see such a need for the belly hatch which may or may not be correct. A look at the Early production (44) M24 at the RAAC Memorial and Museum shows a non flush escape hatch so they may be right.
I am curious as to whether you will be going to such lengths to point out the errors on AFV clubs IF it is ever released?

Al
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 01:26 PM UTC
We all know this is AFV's company shill, a weak attempt to kill sales and bad mouth the competition. Where is AFV's Chaffee? Don't get me wrong - I like AFV kits (and DML who do the same thing).....I just wish these companies would act more professionally.
 _GOTOTOP