_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
The Somme 1916
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Inspired by the Great War campaign, I've decided to have a go at build a trench dio. I attemptewd to build one of these many, many years ago using fairly badly converetd Tamiya German Infantry. It has long been consigned to the bin but WW1 is also and sujject area that interests me, perhaps because it was maily an infantrymans war fought on courage and fear in the most appauling circumstances.

Anyway as the campaign is due to finish on the 11/11/1212 I thought I'd have a go at doing a slightly better job this time.

One main peoblem with WW1 is the almost complete lack of 1/35 scale figure subjects, especially British/Commonwealth troops. I had thought about switching scale for this one but that would bring it's own problems and I doubt I could manage anything much smaller.

Anyway, this is plan A

An OP on a slightly raised piece of ground, switching to some 'caves' the soldiers have dug out moving to a Sap for an MG or Lewis Gun position. Some basic trenching with a fire step leading to more caves and an Officers dugout. Just behind the line and leading off a small communications trench I though I'd set up an aid post of some sort.

From the pictures I've studies some parts of the trench system were quite well developed whilst other parts were little more than scrap holes. Bits would be destroyed and generally the place was pretty much a mess.

Anyway I got the play dough out this morning to get some idea of layout/ size etc, etc.

The OP would be top left on riased ground: Next to it some caves and a Sap.

The basic layout:

I have one figure built already, this one is an old Warriors figure I got through Squadron.

plus two others of unknown origin I did for the Over the Top Campaign who might work.

Cheers

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC
Off to a good Start Alan
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 09:57 AM UTC
Looking good Alan!

That wee figgie in shirt sleeves... You have no idea where you got it? I could do with a couple of these.

Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 11:56 AM UTC
http://www.milminwh.com/masterclub_ww1_p1.htm
WWI 1/35th scale figures galore. These guys are very good to deal with and some good prices. I will look around as there is another site that has some of the best 1/35 WWI figs around. I bought a bunch several years ago and they are excellent. Can't recall the name but will seach my stash for details.
Ironmike
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 12:08 PM UTC
Alan, can't locate that site yet on the cool figs but will check again. Found this great site:
http://wwimodeller.co.nz/survival-of-the-fittest-54mm-vignette/comment-page-1/#comment-30
Click on left icons for some terrific photos.
Ironmike
I might have to get some of these figures myself.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 12:39 PM UTC
Alan: off to a great start. I look forward to seeing how this develops. Good luck on finding figs.

Happy Modelling, -zon
Ironmike
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 12:55 PM UTC
Alan,
ICM came out with two nice WWI figures sets, and they aren't too bad actually.
ICM35291
ICM35301
http://figure.scale-model-kits.com/products/British-infantry--1917-1918-ICM35301.html
Ironmike
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hi Pat

Thanks, this should be fun.

Hi Murdo

On the two figs sorry I got them from a £1.00 box at a show on Milton Keynes a few years back. There was no indication of who made them just two figs in a plastic bag. There was a 1/2 part fig with them in mechanics overalls.

This was the cover art

I'm converting a Great North Roads figure at the moment Murdo. It's a fairly simple conversion, I'll post a pic and he might work for you.

Hi Mike,

Master Club have Germans, Russian, Austro Hungarians, France but not a Brit in sight in 1/35 scale I could find!

Thanks anyway.

Modell Cellar have 4 British/Commonwealth Troops that look pretty good but they are currently OOP.

The ICM figs don't fit with what i have in mind. I could probably use the officer.

I've seen a couple of Lewis Gunners but they seem a bit static.

Hi Zon,

Thanks

Cheers guys.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hi Murdo,

This is the great North Road figure I started to convert last night. I believe he is also available through Sovereign.

Not to difficult a conversion, removed the map and front pockets, filed down the lower trouser legs and added long putties made from tissue paper. He's a bit iof a string bean so I added some bulk to his thights and backside and a Hornet head.

He's designed to be leaning on a spade having a chat and a smoke. I have similar plans for the Resicast Mechanic.

Alternatively I was chatting with Ian from Friendship Model.
He has 4 x British WW1 Tank Crewmen. I have asked him for some pics of the other crew but here's a sample he sent me. Made in white metal this one depicts a standing tanker drinking from a wine bottle with his left leg resting on something.

These chaps might suit you perfectly as he's wearning the canvas/chainmail face mask on his chest. Don't kow the poses of the other 3 yet.

Cheers

Al
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 08:28 PM UTC
Icm do some but I was always unsure of whether they were hard plastic or not. If you are looking for any info on ww1 mining operations for the sap I may be able to help. My father and I have been doing a lot of research on this at the Royal Engineers library amongst other places.

Paul
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hi Paul,

Thanks. Feel free to add in anything you thik might be useful. I'm basing the dio on a number of pictures I've referenced from IWM. The battle of the Somme lasted from July to November, really a series of Battles. Many of the trenches were no more than a 2ft wide hole dug into the ground to varying depths, whilst others were wider and better developed although all provided pretty appauling living conditions. I hope to capture a number of these elements in the one scene. The destruction varies from picture to picture depending on the time frame.

Soldiers were constantly digging whether to improve the trenches or dig new ones or block off captured trenches so a couple of chaps in shirt sleeve order with spades wouldn't seem amiss.

Food/drink was also high on the agenda and they would have taken any opportunity to eat and have a drink of some sort.

I'be been reading an excellent book by the late EPF Lynch (Somme Mud)which is an excellent insight into daily trench life and the things they got up to.

Thanks all help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi folks,

This is the Great North Roads figure with some paint on.

Al
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 01:09 AM UTC
Alan it is really nice to see a WW1 diorama being constructed. It is looking very promising right now and I wish you the best of luck with it!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 03:32 AM UTC
Thanks Karl,

It will be an interesting one to try and do.

Al
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 04:04 AM UTC
Excellent work Alan.

Garth
captnenglish
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 05:25 AM UTC
Great start Alan. I have one of the Model Cellar sets in my stash (I had both but sold one off), that I wasnt planning to get rid of, but I my stash is larger than I will ever be able to finish and I just picked up eight new figures this weekend at a show that ended yesterday, PM if interested I am sure we can work something out.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi Garth,

Thanks.

Matthew,

PM on route.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 03:48 AM UTC
Eneing folks,

This is another figure I'm working on a young British Officer. The body is an old Tamiya German soldier with the boots removed and replaced. Added some shirt and collar detail, a strap for the Sam Brown, belt buckle and some long putties. Bulked out his lower jacket pockets.

Ways to go yet.

Al

hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 04:43 AM UTC
Looking good Alan.

paul

Just as a breif note.. my great grandfather was a tunneller and a sapper in the RE dcuring WW1 hence the family intrest, from what he had told my father it seems he was involved in the mining work that flattened the Messine ridge.

paul
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Thanks. Got a good bit done this evening and hope to finish him off tomorrow.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi folks,

A bit more porgress on the officer. Added an ammo pouch, head, lanyard for the pistol, made a respirator to fit over his head and a cane for him to carry.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 04:01 AM UTC
Here he is with his cane and gas mask.

Al
Jockbw
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 03:38 PM UTC
A very good source of figures and accessories for WW1 dioramas... http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/World_War_One_1_32_scale___Grande_Guerre.html
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 08:15 PM UTC
Hi James,

Interesting link. A great range of 1/32 scale stuff.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 08:52 PM UTC
Hi Murdo,

Check your PMs.

Al
 _GOTOTOP