Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Iranian Chunma (T-62)
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes the other T-62, well it too is sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I have so many models sitting that I have started and like many other modellers out there, I buy a new model and loose interest in the ones I have started. I'm trying to breathe new life into the ones I have started, but it's so hard with all the great new kits coming out now.

I totally agree. Is hard to maintain the interest when dozen of new kits comes out every month. If you tend to be a rivet counter and your builds are incredibly long, that could be even more difficult. If you're also very busy at work so you don't have lots of time to spend, that could be almost impossible

Anyway, I hope you'll finish your "old" T-62. It was a stunning project
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 07:30 PM UTC
hay chris i know what you mean i'm not a rivet counter but i have quit a stack of kit that seams to get bigger and i keep puting off build for the latest new kit. if you want you can chick out i'm build Ugandan M4A1(76)W / M1
dave
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 02:17 PM UTC
Well everyone, I believe I’m ready to start painting this beast. The build has been going slow since the weather here in Texas has been turning nice lately. Means more time outdoors with my boys and less time for my builds. I just put the finishing touches on things and should start priming here tonight. One thing I have done different from the normal North Korean version is that I used the kit supplied loader’s hatch instead of the T-55 hatch. Also I don’t have a KVPT and can’t see spending $29 on a kit just for the gun, so instead I used a DSKH from fruilmodel that I had on hand.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 02:49 PM UTC
Hi Cristopher,

Great scratch work man! You got a sweet T-62 there and im ready to see some paint. WEll DONE!!!

Where abouts in Texas do you live and do you ever attend any model shows?

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 03:38 PM UTC
Thanks a lot Gary, I’m actually happy just to finish one of my T-62 and slap some paint on it.

I live in Katy on the west side of Houston off of I-10. The last model show I have been to was in 2001 when I went to an AMPS contest in Austin. It’s a little hard to go to shows when I have 2 small boys, They get bored easily and want to run around. Plus I spent 7 years in the army and lived places that did not have any shows to attend.

Well I have everything primed. I used Vallejo model air grey primer with some future floor wax mixed into the paint I figure if the stuff works for protecting the base color, why not try to added to the primer. Surprisingly it turn out nice, good hard smooth finish to add paint onto. I’m trying to figure out what the camo is going to be. I don’t want to do the typical tan and green finish or solid tan. I was looking at possible using an Israeli sand grey color. I’ve found a few photos the show something very similar to it. Or I may go with an overall green color, maybe a tank arrived from North Korean and was sent straight to battle without getting it’s new color. More to follow soon.

Chris

Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:19 PM UTC
Its great to see it all finished up and ready for paint. You've really went to town on it. I like the idea of keeping the original DPRK green.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:24 PM UTC
This is going to look awesome Chris! Love the details you've added, can't wait to see it finished.

I'm itching to get started on a T-62 I have in the stash now. Its the MIG M1, but I want to try and do something other than the abandoned Afghan one in the whacky camo that everyone seems to do, alas its a a struggle finding pics of this particular version.
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 01:21 AM UTC
Christopher,

this is looking awsome, I love it!

Best regards,
Andreas
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for the great comments so far. This build has been real labor of love and can't wait to start painting today.

Rob this might help some, I have alot of T-62M's on my computer and not just those boring old afghan version.

afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 04:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the pics Chris. It seems like its harder though to find examples of the M/M1 with the anti radiation cladding.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 05:13 AM UTC
Not a problem at all. The main reason why you will not find alot of pictures of the anti-radation layer is the simple fact the 95% of the T-62 stayed in east germany. The layer was a guarded secret at the time, so not alot of photos were taken of it. Those that did make their way to afghan, the russian depot was suppost to remove the stuff from the tank. But seeing that most depots are lazy, they just left it inplace, that's why you can still see a few of them floating around over there in strange afghan colors.

Cheers
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 05:31 AM UTC
Rob here are the only 2 photos I have of russian t-62 with the layering. Again both are in afghanistan.

Here is a BMP-1P with anti-radation layer that might give you an idea what it would of looked like in normal russian colors.

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:12 AM UTC
I've just finish pre-shading the model before I add the base color. I've decided to go with the strange iranian sand grey color as it will weather nicely.

cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi Christopher,

Pre-shading and sand color looking very good..

CC
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi Christopher,

Shes looking good man! A Q? if I may. Is the vallejo model air primer different than Their Grey surface primer? I use Tamiya faithfully till i decided to try the Acrylic-polyurethane surface primer. Its awfull to shoot trough the AB, even high pressure. added liquitex flow aid, not much better. when dry it didnt sand well and chipped and peeled off pretty easy. Did i get a bad batch? Im confused.The pictures are sweet, by the way!

I understand about spare time and the kids. mine are now adults and time is plentiful. Looking forward to your next update Man.

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 12:47 PM UTC
Gary I have never tried their surface primer, so I can’t rally say what the difference would be. The stuff I used is straight up paint, I normally used tamiya primer in a rattle can. I just can’t see spending 5-10 dollars on a single can when I have plenty of paint laying around I can use as primer. I normally use some semi-gloss clear coat mixed in with my paint for added strength. So far I’ve had some good luck with my style of primers and way cheaper too.

Here I have the base color in place using Vallejo model air tank dark yellow and panzer ace us army tank crew mixed 50/50 straight from the bottle. Once I was happy with the results I came back in with a lighter shade using the base color and some model air sand mixed in. One thing I have done is to paint some Russian green paint were the fender tanks would have been. Most crew probably would have not removed the tanks just to paint the new camo. I still have a few more things to pick out with my airbrush before I can begin the weathering. I plane to paint the fender tank and the dinged up fuel drum rust colors.

One thing I’m thinking about that I need some advice on is I want to paint part of the engine deck in a tan and green camo. Maybe suggesting this part of the tank was damaged and remove from another tank. Just an idea so far.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 04:30 PM UTC
Hey Christopher,

Sweet paint job! i really like you can see the preshade. also nice touch on the base green where the fuel tanks were. Very nice Man!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 04:47 PM UTC
Thanks alot there Gary It's turning out better than I thought it would. Right now I'm hand painting all the unit markings and arabic numbers.

Chris
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 05:00 PM UTC
Here are just a few pics of some of the finer details I'm painting by hand before I can start the weather. Don't worry about the fender, I will be touching that up tomorrow. When I removed the fuel tank to paint it, I foregot about the bare plastic under it.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 05:19 PM UTC
Good Gawd Christopher!!! The barrels and hand painted letters and symbols are freaking awsome! You brought your A game on this bad boy. Man i cant wait for the next updates! Very inspireing Christopher!

Gary
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 05:32 PM UTC
Great job!!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 10:52 PM UTC
That is one nice color finish. I love the barrels too- what decals did you use for the Exxon one?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 02:20 PM UTC
Wow thanks guys, I’m glad you all like the work so far. I’m very happy myself with the way things are turning out.

Karl all lettering and logos are dune by hand, that even includes the Exxon label. No decals for Iran armor exists that I know of. I could have printer decals out off my computer, but I like the freehand look more. Most of the marking for that region I’ve notice the crew had painted every either with a paint brush or rattle cans.

Here is my latest update, I’m ready to seal everything in with a clear coat before I start weathering. I tried my hand at painting some Arabic slogans on the turret. I just got some new brushes from crappy lobby yesterday to try out. For all I know it could say the cheese is moldy or eat at Joes. I found a picture last night of a T-62 were the crew had paint the national colors on the bore evacuator thought would add some color to the tank. For this I broke out the good old masking tape and shoot some Vallejo paint through my airbrush. The fuel tanks I began to rust them since I plan to use the hairspray technique on them. I sponged on several rust color shade and will seal it up later tonight.

Here are close ups of the fuel drum.

jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 02:45 PM UTC
I like it a lot, the barrel stripes in the national colors look great. It's too bad the Iranians have stopped marking their vehicles with the national roundel.
I wonder what the Farsi inscription on the side of the turret means?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 03:08 PM UTC
Thanks JPhillips

I went to archer dry transfer website and copied the writting from one of the arabic slogan sheet. So your guess is good as mine. I was thinking about putting the roundel on the turret, but it seems they only used them on a few vehicles and the T-62 was not one of them.