Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Iranian Chunma (T-62)
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 03:15 PM UTC
Christopher, you got a steady hand brother! Looks awsome!

Gary
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:17 PM UTC
Christopher,

awsome work so far, love the sand color you have chosen!

Andreas
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 10:16 PM UTC
As Gary said, you must have a steady hand- some really awesome work!
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 02:15 PM UTC
Alrighty everyone, here is just a quick update. Lastnight I applied some mig filters to the model using 3 different shades.

brown for desert yellow
brown for dark green
grey for bright green

I like using different shade to help break up a single overall color. It's very subtle and hard to tell from the photo, here's the result.

I've also just got done sealing everything in with a coat of future floor wax and will let it dry over night. Hopefully I will begin adding the pin wash to all the details tomorrow night.

dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 02:41 PM UTC
chris wow looking great love the fuel drums
dave
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 03:16 PM UTC
Hey Christopher,

You have done an outstanding job so far! Ill tell ya straight up dude, it looks BAD ASS!!!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 03:39 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the kind words Can't wait to start the weathering, I have a few tricks up my sleeve and new ideas to try out.

Chris
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
Nice subtle result so far! Very nice!

Andreas
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
Thanks Andreas, I’m glad you like the progress so far. I’m can’t wait to start dirtying the tank, I plan to fade and dirty some of the paint job I’ve done. Want it to look used, but not left in the desert for years on end.

I added a pin wash last night using mig production brown was with a touch of lamp black oil paint. I had bought some new paint thinner a couple of days ago and they must have change the formula or something, but it had a milky consistency to it. It’s the same brand I have used for the past several years now, but it seem to work just fine so far. I’ve also just got done sealing everything in with a flat coat from testors thin out with some tap water.

Here I have begun to make a base for the model to sit on. Nothing more than strap plywood and some florist foam. I tend to build the terrain and groundwork first, then go back and make my own frame for everything to sit in.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 03:17 PM UTC
Chris,

you are raising the bar my friend. I wish i had this build to reference while doing my T-62. I admire you skill and the thought that you put into every detail. the free handed paiting of all the would be decals is, as my son would say, SICK!!! Im pretty sure that means "awsome" in teenage speak. well done man!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 04:45 PM UTC
Thanks Gary, your kind words mean alot Kids and their funky lingo, but then again they say the same thing about us old farts

There are a few areas of the pin wash I did that I've overdone, but no big deal. The rest of the weathering, fading, chipping, and dusting will blend everything in more. I broke out my AK Interactive weathering dvd today toget some ideas I want to try out.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 02:12 AM UTC
Really nice work on the weathering of this Chris. I'm very interested to see what you get up to after watching the AK Interactive DVD! What are your plans for the terrain?
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 02:55 AM UTC
Great work Christopher, I'm really enjoying to watch your beast.. Congrats...

CC
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 03:26 AM UTC
Outstanding job! Great balance between the cammo paint job and the color spots like the Exxon barrel and stripes on the fume extractor.

Just great to see all well built/finished T-62's being showed here on armorama these days!

Cheers,
/E
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 03:34 AM UTC
Very inspiring work. It makes me want to buy a T-62 kit and start building it.
recykler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hi Christopher,
there's certainly more modelers in your area. Myself I live in Katy too. I'm also part of IPMS Houston.

Why don't you come to our meeting this coming Tuesday, April 10th between 7.00-9.00pm at Tracy Gee Community Center,
3599 Westcenter Drive, one block east of the West Beltway 8 Toll Road on Richmond Ave

And what a coincident, we'll have our quarterly contest so you can also bring something to show off!

Next there will be Modelmania, here in Houston (Stafford) the biggest show in south-central US on April 28th with this year's theme – “Under a Foreign Flag”
so your T-62 would clearly qualify

check us out on www.ipms-houston.org

anyways, I really enjoy watching you build log, impressive!

so come on over to meet some modeler buddies,
some like myself with small children too...

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 02:01 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for foloowing and commenting on the build. Glad to inspire some to build more modern russian tanks.

Here's a quick update on the progress I have made with the base so far. I did a rough carving of the foam that will later a have some cellaclay added to it. I have the tank sitting in a firing postion with a berm built around. Crew will be relaxing, trying to get some peace and quite from combat. One thing I have done is to dig a small trench under the tank. Common pratice for crew to dig under their tanks for better shelter from the sun and overhead shell burst.

This is the result I'm trying to go for.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 04:42 PM UTC
Dude your killing me with all this awsome stuff. When i say "killing me" i mean it in the sweetest of compliments of course. Chris, I really like what you got going on there with the base. I am Taking notes and copying your pics to a folder, with your permission of course. Dio's and ground work like this is a serious weak area in my game, so bring it on man! I need all you can throw at me!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 05:06 PM UTC
Thanks Gary, that really means alot Feel free to copy away, I have close to something like 4 gigs worth of built models and photos on my computer and external hard drive I have collective over the years for reference. I'm even taking notes o the T-62 you've built, you can never have too much reference.

If you like the build I'm doing right now, here is a preview of one I've been working that I hope to start back up on again once I'm finished with this one.

Cheers

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 02:19 PM UTC
I’ve made some progress on the T-62 the last few days. I’ve started to weather the turret using buff and yellow oil paint in the streaking method. Afterwards I came back in with some Vandyke brown streaks. I did all this in several layers, first with the light colors and then with the dark. Sealing in between the colors with a flat clear coat. Also I finished up painting the 2 damaged fuel tanks and mounted them to the tank.

Today I sat outside with my boys and did some of the ground work. Having the 2 around is a big help, they gathered up dirt and stones while I mixed up the compound for the base. I used celluclay, with plaster of paris and white glue mixed in. from here dirt and kitty letter sand was poured over the wet mixture. Everything is still damp, but will be dry enough tomorrow to start adding more to the base.

Hope you all like so far.

Cheers

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 03:25 PM UTC
Christopher,

Dude that is feakin awsome!!! I love that! You just got dirt from the yard? It doesnt start cracking when dry? Damnit, wheres my note pad...got it! The T62 looks crazy good man! Well done Chris.

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 03:40 PM UTC
Thanks alot Gary No I've had no problems with my groundwork cracking at all, one reason why I put white glue into the mixture. The dirt it just from the side of the road or I will get some from my boys' sandbox in the yard. The small rocks is just plaine old dry sweap from the garage which is nothing more than kitty little sand.

I migh start some of the chipping on the turret tonight. I'm going to work from top down, easier to blend everything into the groundwork that way.

Chris
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 03:55 PM UTC
Christopher,

Are you gonna show how you add the frame around the dio. Once dry will you airbrush any colors on the dirt or dry brush any thing, maybe some washes? Just trying to learn, and i like your style. Thanks man!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 04:26 PM UTC
Yes Gary I plan to show everyhting I'm doing to the build. I'm hoping to go to home depot tomorrow and pick up some nice finish wood to build the frame for the base. The frame will be built up just like the other dio I post on here. The base will fit down inside of the frame so I can remove it and paint everything seperate.

I still need to add a few more thing to the ground work like grass and weed, maybe a few more bigger stones......the I will airbrush everything with a desert color.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 04:33 PM UTC
Thanks Chris! this is so helpful, i cant even put into words.
Looking forward to the next installment. Notes at the ready!

Gary