Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Iranian Chunma (T-62)
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 05:22 PM UTC
Here is just a quick update. I've begun some of the paint chipping on the turret would like to get some input before I go too far with it.

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 05:24 PM UTC
Wow dudes, these are great works! I really like also your "Eastern wreckages diorama"

Congrats indeed and many thanks for sharing your "ground recipe"

Update: How did you made that very convincing chipping job?

Cheers
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 05:34 PM UTC
Thanks Mauro

The wreckage dio is from the first chechan war with some russian tropps chat it up with some locals, have a hot cup of coffee or tea.

The chipping was done with vallejo US dark green with a tad bit of thinner added to it. A good steady hand and a 18/0 paintbrush.

Cheers
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mauro

The wreckage dio is from the first chechan war with some russian tropps chat it up with some locals, have a hot cup of coffee or tea.

The chipping was done with vallejo US dark green with a tad bit of thinner added to it. A good steady hand and a 18/0 paintbrush.

Cheers

18/0?...Wow! Where did you find that tiny brush?
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 08:41 PM UTC
Wow, what a nice chipping result so far!

Andreas
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 10:17 PM UTC
That groundwork mix is really effective, I'll have to give the kitty litter a try at some point. That Chechnya dio is also very interesting- keep us updated on that if you get the time!!

I like the chipping too and as Mauro asked, where did you get an 18/0 brush?
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:01 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for the great comments.

The paintbrush I believe I got at our hobby lobby here in town. I went there last week to get a few things, but their sellection has turned to crap The store is mostly into old lady knitting stuff and weird nit nacks. Beyond that I have no clue where to buy new brushes other than online. I like to look at the tips before I buy them to make sure their in good shape, but I guess I'm between a rock and a hard place.

It's going to take me awhile to finish up the chipping as I plan to doing a little bit at a time. I don't want to over do it and ruin the paint job.

Cheers
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:08 AM UTC
This might help some, the brand I used was American Painter model #4350 liner. I also founf them for sale on amazon for $2.55.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DJJNIE/ref=asc_df_B004DJJNIE1970657?tag=thefind0187542-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B004DJJNIE&linkCode=asn
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:39 AM UTC
Hey Christopher,

The chipping looks great! Whats with the Hobby Lobby's, the two that are in my area are going to sh*t as well. I have purchased in the past more than 75% of my brushes there, not any more! I have a Michaels craft store down the street but its not much better and its more expensive. Now i have to go to Hobby Town USA to get decent paint brushes and its nearly 30 minutes away. Antways, the T-62 is looking amazing and im ready for more.

Gary
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC
Buy good cheap brushes from dick blick online. They are mail order, so you cannot see them first hand, but you can find good deals on good brushes. There are other good places online as well like cheapjoes.com ... Don't be afraid to buy online when the local stores decide to decline service.
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 09:58 AM UTC
Awesome!!

This is one of the most realistic chippings that I've ever seen, a fine proof of "one can make a good chipping without hairspray"..

Any tutorial??

CC
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 11:10 AM UTC
I've failed to keep up with this the past couple of days Chris (study is getting in the way of things!) But wow, this is looking awesome, the paint work so far is just superb, chipping looks perfect. This is going to look a real beauty once finished on the base.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 02:21 PM UTC
Wow thanks everyone, glad you all like the work so far. I wasn’t sure if the chipping would turn out just right or not. I don’t want to go too overboard with it, but I want it to be weather beaten since most tanks in the desert go though a lot during their service life.

Cagkan I’ll have to see about doing a tutorial. Right now my battery for the camera is recharging and I’m not sure how to post videos on this website.

Gary I know how you feel buddy. The nearest hobby shop for me is an hour away, and I try to stay far away from them as I can. Their staff sucks, model selection is low ( mostly RC stuff their), and their prices are too high for my taste.

Thanks Jacques, I have to check out those websites. I don’t have much choices around here, you figure for the size of Houston we would have more shops, but none in driving distance.

Well here is just a very quick update. I’ve finish building the frame for the base today. It all starts with ½”x3” popular wood cut to length. I’ve glued and nail square wood strips to the inside of the frame that acts as a ledge for the base to site on. I’ve also use some polymer injected molding around the frame. Tomorrow I will go back and paint and seal everything in with a high gloss clear coat.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 02:43 PM UTC
Christopher,
Once again, LOVE IT! Do you mean popular or poplar wood?
Just trying to get the right notes. Do you have wood working tools on hand or did you have it cut to lenght at the lumber store? I have a Lowes around the corner but no wood working tools. Really looks great Chris!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:07 PM UTC
Sorry Gary that was a typo, ment poplar. Yes a full garage of tools that me and my dad have collected over the years. Band saw, table saw, mitter saw, drill press, planer, joiner, etc etc etc. The only thing I don't have is a lathe, sure would love to have one, how many time I could have turned my own metal barrels.

Chris
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Gary that was a typo, ment poplar. Yes a full garage of tools that me and my dad have collected over the years. Band saw, table saw, mitter saw, drill press, planer, joiner, etc etc etc. The only thing I don't have is a lathe, sure would love to have one, how many time I could have turned my own metal barrels.

Chris

Chris, you start turning your own metal barrels some day, ill be your first customer!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 12:34 PM UTC
Newest progress shoots. I’ve made some good progress last night on chipping the paint for the turret. In between paint drying, I’ve also painted some of finer details on the turret, dust boot cover on the mantle, spare ammo cans, and search light lense. I still need to finish chipping the main search light and the barrel.

I’ve started to paint the frame using nothing more than high gloss black paint in a rattle can. I’ve also constructed some panels that will cover the green portions of the foam base. These are just held in place with masking tape until I have the base fully painted. Once the paint has harden, I will go back and wet sand everything and apply another coat of paint. Last thing I want to do is use some high gloss clear coat to seal everything in.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 12:55 PM UTC
Just gets better and better! Beautiful work Chris!!!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 06:13 PM UTC
Quick update, I’ve added some creature comfort for the tank crew within the dugout they would have made. I’ve made a bed mattress , some blankets, and pillows thrown onto the ground to make life somewhat more bearable. Once everything hardens, I can remove it and begin painting.

Here are the basic stuff I like to use when making traps and blankets from putty. Everyday household ceramic floor tile, baking powder (instead of talcum), two part apoxie sculpt, and good old exacto knife handle.

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 06:23 PM UTC
Many thanks for the advice about the brush

The diorama is simply awesome!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:28 PM UTC
This is coming together so well and the SBS of the base construction is very useful.
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 11:42 PM UTC
chris your killing me here how did you pain your main main search light i love it look so realy
dave
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks guys for the comments, glad to be of help. After all we learn from each and I'm trying to post as much as I can on the build. Hell I've been in this hobby for 25 years and I'm still learning things as I go.

Dave I used vallejo black with a touch of panzer ace tail light red mixed in. Depending on the how you look at them and the lighting condition, the lense can have a sort of purple-redish tint to it.

Chris
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 03:32 PM UTC
Progress is slowly, but surely coming together. I believe for most case I have the turret finished. Only real thing left to do is finish the DSKH mount and add an antenna for the radio. These will be last minute things to add to keep them from breaking off. I’ve already broke a few parts since I began to paint. One thing I have done is to add some rust chips to the barrel. This area tends to rust faster than the rest of the tank due to the extreme heat from the rounds being fired. I’ve used some standard rust color from vellajo, with some darker color on top of that. Finally the last thing I did was to use some burnt sienna oil paint to make some rust stains.

With the turret done I turned my attention to working on the hull. I began to use the same paint streaking method that I used on the turret. I’ve also picked out a few areas on the engine deck and around the driver’s hatch with a dark brown oil to change some of the tones. The exhaust was painted in some rust color oil paint and mig production pigments.

Here I’ve used the method that Gary had used on his T-62 to dust the lower hull. First a coat of Tamiya buff, followed by some mig gulf war sand and beach sand pigment. One thing I did different was to use brown for dark green filter to tie everything in and also used some brown wash in a streaking fashion.

The base received a coat of buff mixed with some nato brown paint Later I will coat back in with some different color washed to break up the single color. I’ve also added some grass tuffs to the base from Fredericus-rex, after all there is some life in the desert.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 04:01 PM UTC
Hey Chris,

I cant tell you how much im enjoying watching your build all come together. Really creative and masterfully done. You Have given me lots of ideas for future projects. Thanks for sharing all of this with us. Im saving your info and pics in a folder all its own. Model on man!!!

Gary