Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Iranian Chunma (T-62)
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 10:35 PM UTC
The weathering effects you are achieving on the tank are superb Chris, really nice work. The base is coming together nicely too, the bedding sure is a neat touch!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 04:23 PM UTC
Hey Chris,

What a bum deal on photobucket. I had the same thing happen to me. I quit useing them and set up on flickr and imageshack no problems there. Hope to see more of the awsome build you got going. take care bro!

Gary
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 07:52 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

Been following this one for a while and it looks absolutely wonderfull. I`m curious as to how you got the angled edges od the fenders done...Looking to build my own fenders too but I never quite figured out how to do that.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
Hey Chris,

stopping by to say hello and hope to see your progress soon. Take care man!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 02:17 PM UTC
Hello everyone, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything on the build. Just got back last Sunday from vacation with the family and been slowly trying to catch up on things.

Benjamin to answer you question about the fenders. I used .15 sheet plastic cut to the size I needed for the fender it’s self. For the slight fold along the edge I used .10x.20 strips glued onto the top of the fender. Much easier to build this way instead of trying to bend the plastic.

Since I’ve got back I have made some progress on the build. I’ve finished weathering the lower hull and attached the road wheels. I’ve also used some mig production engine grease oil paint to add some stains to the hull. The fuel tank fender, I’ve used a mixed of mig clear gloss, engine grease and oil stain mixture to give the elusion of spill gas from the tanks being removed. I’ve also used the same mixture on the engine deck along some of the hatches. A little bit of gulf war sand pigment was used to dirty up some of the crevices. Next week I have a few things coming in the mail to finish up the base in the form of figures and ammo.

More to follow soon.
Cheers

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hello Christopher!

Great to see you back at it. Nice to Vacation with the family. Have fun? The weather has been pretty darn good for getting out with your loved ones.

Your T-62 is splendid!!! You have a great eye for the little things that add up to big impressive things IMO. yes?
How many figures do you plan for your dio? Which is also impressive!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 02:44 PM UTC
Thanks Gary, took the family to Atlanta since my has always want to go there. In fact stayed in a hotel right across the strret from Turner field, another baseball stadium of my wifes list to see.

I plan to use 2-3 figures at max for the base, want to keep it simple.

I want to use the guy sitting down cleaning his rifle, I'll change it out for an AK or G-3

Chris
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 05:23 PM UTC
Great weathering effects!
I think your dio with figures it'll be awesome!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 10:49 PM UTC
Great to see some more great weathering on this Chris- you are really bringing this tank to life.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thnaks guys for the great comments. This build is turning out better than I thought it would. I'm trying to finish as quickly as I can, but not to rush the finish. I have to make room as I have over 20 new kits coming in the mail within the next 2 weeks, tanks, figures, and artillery.

I have trumpeter's new su-152 coming in along with a t-90 and gaz-aaa. I have alot of great projects lined up to share with everyone.

Cheers
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 02:14 PM UTC
More progress updates.

Just received in the mail a few things for the base, master box Russian tank crew and 115mm ammo from mb models. The guy cleaning his rifle was built from the box with the head being replaced with one from verlinden and of coarse the ak comes from dragon. The ammo needs a bit of clean up since there is a mold line running down the shell and I plan to remove most of the projectiles to make spent casings. I still have two more things arriving in the mail in the next couple of days.

I’ve made a slight change to the model, I tried to use the kit supplied tracks, but I could not get them to wrap around the drive sprocket without damaging the fenders. Instead I went with the fruilmodel t-72 tracks I had on hand. These actually worked out better without doing any damage at all. The only thing is, I’m not sure if any of the early north Korean T-62’s used this style of track. But who’s to say the crew or possible the motor pool installed them from the many T-72’s laying around. I have to adjust the base slightly since the new tracks are wider and groundwork was built up for the kit tracks. I’m getting much closer to finishing this build, more to follow very soon.

Cheers

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 02:36 PM UTC
Hi Christopher,

Great update Chris! The soldier with the mini AK looks cool as does the shells. Hey man, the tracks look great. I do have a Q? Why does one side have alot of track sag and the other side tight. If they are not the proper tracks, i wont tell anyone if you wont! They do look sweet though. Keep it coming bro!

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 02:51 PM UTC
Thanks alot Gary

Believe it or not the tracks were already pre-built I had laying around. One track was built up for an earlier T-62 I was building. The the other track was ment for my T-72. So the two tracks have defferent lengths. I might add another track link to the one side to add more slack. Since it's already built up I can't remove any of the pins, just add more to them.

Chris
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Christopher,

Great update Chris! The soldier with the mini AK looks cool as does the shells. Hey man, the tracks look great. I do have a Q? Why does one side have alot of track sag and the other side tight. If they are not the proper tracks, i wont tell anyone if you wont! They do look sweet though. Keep it coming bro!

Gary

Good observation Gary, but a tank can loose a track link, so it would be likely to have a side with a track sag and the other one which looks more tight.

Anyway, that's a really outstanding job!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 10:29 PM UTC
I like the guy cleaning the AK, his position on the tank and that of the ammunition scattered around looks great.
RunninKurt
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 03:21 PM UTC
Hey, Im out in Cypress, not too far from you. Do you buy your kits local or online? Thanks. Kurt
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 04:26 PM UTC
Hello Kurt, I buy all my kits online. The nearest hobby shop for me is M&M in bellaire which can take me any where from 45 minutes to an hour to get there depending on traffic. So i buy everything from an online dealer I can get everything within two days.

Here is a quick update. Got in the last of the stuff I need to finish the base and have begun to paint the figures. Sorry for the crappy photo, but I did not feel like breaking out my photo stuff just for a quick picture.

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 02:26 PM UTC
Newest update.

I have the figures completed, painted, and ready to attach to the base. For now the will sit to the side in the cabinet until I’m ready to finish everything out. I tried to break up the uniform some by using different colors other than overall tan. Most of the photos I have seen of Iranian troop, shows them with mix match uniforms at times. All the painting was done with different Vallejo paints. I like painting figures, but not real big on painting flesh tones. For this I simply make a brown wash and flow it into all the details and then later clean up the areas around the wash.

I’ve also started to work on the ammo creates. I’ve used miniart’s 100mm creates to hold the live shells. The 115mm shell for the T-62 fit just fine into their new creates. I plan the have shells and wooden blocks toss about the base from were the crew just threw their trash from all the creates.

Cheers

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 10:21 PM UTC
Nice work on the figures Chris, I have those two Arab tanker's myself and they look very nice all painted up. The guy cleaning the gun is also a nice addition and the AK works well in place of the PPSh.
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow thanks everyone, glad you all like the work so far. I wasn’t sure if the chipping would turn out just right or not. I don’t want to go too overboard with it, but I want it to be weather beaten since most tanks in the desert go though a lot during their service life.

Cagkan I’ll have to see about doing a tutorial. Right now my battery for the camera is recharging and I’m not sure how to post videos on this website.

Gary I know how you feel buddy. The nearest hobby shop for me is an hour away, and I try to stay far away from them as I can. Their staff sucks, model selection is low ( mostly RC stuff their), and their prices are too high for my taste.

Thanks Jacques, I have to check out those websites. I don’t have much choices around here, you figure for the size of Houston we would have more shops, but none in driving distance.

Well here is just a very quick update. I’ve finish building the frame for the base today. It all starts with ½”x3” popular wood cut to length. I’ve glued and nail square wood strips to the inside of the frame that acts as a ledge for the base to site on. I’ve also use some polymer injected molding around the frame. Tomorrow I will go back and paint and seal everything in with a high gloss clear coat.

Firstly, your Chunma is looking amazing. Secondly, how did you get the earth that brown colour, or is it natural dirt?
Thanks and keep it up
Euan
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 11:21 AM UTC
Thanks Karl and Euan for the comments.

To answer your question, I used natural dirt, stones, and kitty litter from to do all the ground work. Once dry I went back and airbrush on a mixture of buff and nato brown paint from tamiya. I still plan to add a few washes to give different tones to the groundwork.

Chris
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hi Christopher,

The figures look great. The guy cleaning the AK just really appeals to me. I just really enjoy watching all this come together man.

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 04:36 PM UTC
Hey Gary glad your loving the progress so far

Well here is just a small update, just finished up painting and marking a few of the shells and creates. I used the hairspray technique using a few brown colors from vallejo, followed by a light misting of russian green. The markings for the shells came from the miniart set I have even though they really read 100mm. I've also gathered up a few small items to add to the base and even a scratch built camping stove.

Here is what I like to acheive with the shells and creates

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 06:01 PM UTC
Hey Chris,

The crates look spot on to the pic below, well done. The shells look the part as well.

Hey bro, is the keyboard underneath still functional. Or you working on a special 1:1 scale dio of some sort. it looks pretty beatup. The earth tones and weathering look very realistic.

Gary
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 06:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey bro, is the keyboard underneath still functional. Or you working on a special 1:1 scale dio of some sort. it looks pretty beatup. The earth tones and weathering look very realistic.

Gary

Great keyboard, impressive job..