_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Outside Stalingrad
p47faninchicago
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 03:46 PM UTC
Just a dio of the dora railgun. It is most famous for its contributions at Sevastopol but it was fully assembled and prepared to fire in a forest about 15 miles outside Stalingrad in the fall of 1942. Just prior to firing it was hurriedly disassembled. It is supposed that the approach of some Soviet troops led to its quick disappearance.I apologize for all the pics. The dio is about 14 feet long and 5 feet wide so it is hard to get all of the parts in one pic.

pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 04:00 PM UTC
hi there,

This is a stunning diorama. What can I say? It is beautiful.
I really like the crane and the maultier. They really look the part.
You work is a candidate for the Features Section!!
Thanks for sharing!

Cheers.
p47faninchicago
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 04:00 PM UTC

p47faninchicago
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 04:08 PM UTC

[
p47faninchicago
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 04:21 PM UTC

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 05:06 PM UTC
This thing is massive! Everything flows and meshes well. I'm sure you had a lot of fun building it. I saw one similar to this at Nats, but done with a Leopold being strafed by P-51s. I believe it won best of show.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 12:08 AM UTC
Roger,
Wow man! This really needs to be a feature. Outstanding work! Can you even move this thing?
tommy1drop
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 02:35 AM UTC
Roger that is amazing, the detail work is superb as is the painting and weathering...Great work.

Tom
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 02:35 AM UTC
There was a thread here many years ago about what would be your dream diorama ... one that would be life consuming, a one-off and most of all: huge. Since then we have Claude´s Clearvaux diorama and yours. They´re always a please to see as theres so much going on and so much involved. Photographs of the whole scene are almost impossible as you need to get back far enough to get everything in, in the viewer and I guess its not easy to move this outside. Have enjoyed watching this evolve Roger. "Just a dio of the dora railgun" has to the understatement of the year!!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 02:44 AM UTC
Very very nice. What I think,is the best thing about this is the fact that it is so massive and yet the detail is still superb. Usually when I see a dio this big the parts and figures are toy-like because probably the guy gets burned out with the sheer amount of work but that is not the case here and every vehicle and fig I see are wonderful. Plus what I like is that there are really unusual subjects like the sani mule and the crane and the clever use of a soviet limber to hook some horses to an infantry gun. Nice stuff.
J
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 03:59 AM UTC
Yes some real outstanding work where do you keep a 14 foot long diorama
And what kits are the ambulance and bus
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
Roger

One word Stunning.

This is the standard I would like to aspire to.

Thanks for sharing this inspired piece of modelling art.

Gerry
p47faninchicago
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 05:15 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words. It is very much a work in progress and some of the vehicles are just space fillers until I can get to them later. I am really happy that it was noticed that the limber is a hodgepodge of different countries. Looking at period pictures it is interesting that the Germans were so ready to assimilate any vehicles or equipment that they stumbled across. Some seem to have as much foreign equipment and weapons as German. I rarely see that kind of variety in pictures of American and British soldiers.Works out well when modelling German scenarios as there is a lot more variety and flexibility than in allied scenarios I feel. The limber is Soviet, the horse saddles are German and the artillery is Czech Skoda. I wanted to show some of the weird hodgepodge that is often seen in German photos and I am glad that was noticed. I definitely like the more unusual vehicles as it helps keep my interest. I wanted to comment on the difference in the quality of equipment between the Italian and German forces so I placed The Breda 32 Recupero crane next to the Bussing-Nag crane. The differences in quality are striking. The Bussing-Nag would not be terribly out of place if it were seen on the road today while the Breda seems like it belongs in a museum. The Bussing-Nag is from Azimut although the stabilizers and the tool box were scratch built. I always wondered what the inside of the box looked like and when I researched it I was surprised to learn that the sides of the box could be dropped and used as a work table so I wanted to model that as I had never seen it modeled before. The Breda is from the now defunct Historica. The crane of the Breda was scratchbuilt as the resin crane was badly warped and not very good quality. The canopy over the rear of the Breda was also scratchbuilt as it seemed to add some balance to the vehicle and some interest. The ambulance is a Ford V3000 by scale model accessories with Friul tracks. The big excavating crane was originally made by scale model accessories which was bought out by elite models which was bought out by someone else. It was very difficult to find. It is a Menck M50 which was a post war crane so some modifications had to be made to make it into a ww2 excavator. The modifications were simple but the tough part was the metal crane portion. The kit has a resin crane in little pieces which was a realy bad idea. All of the airholes and brittle resin make it completely unusable so the crane portion has to be scratchbuilt. It was a terrifically huge job.The bus is also Azimut and is no longer produced.I see them occasionally on ebay however.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 05:18 AM UTC
Wow! Well done!

Indeed. the quality of your vehicles is outstanding. I really like the ambulance vehicle and all your sub-actions, crane's and all. Figure painting is high standard also so this is nearly perfect!
Ok, just to find one thing to say, the groundwork looks minimalistic to me, a bit could be done with the grass and other surfaces, more variation.

Do you have a picture from far including the whole Dora? Would love to see it.

Congratulations for this work

Claude

Edit: My post appeared 3 minutes after your reply stating that it is Work in progress, so either forget my groundwork comment or there is time to do something about :-)
Froley
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 05:49 AM UTC
beautiful, just beautiful...
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 06:02 AM UTC
"I've been working on the railroad..." is an understatement. It really shows how massive Dora is next to all those people and vehicles.
p47faninchicago
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 06:22 AM UTC
The groundwork will be the very last stage after all of the vehicles and figures are placed. Just the basic groundwork layout is done at this point. It will be quite a long time before I reach that stage.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The groundwork will be the very last stage after all of the vehicles and figures are placed. Just the basic groundwork layout is done at this point. It will be quite a long time before I reach that stage.

So this will get even better! I wish I had your persevearence brother!
I only know about the horses and limber because I scratchbuilt a German version and it can be found on this forum if you search it out.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 02:03 PM UTC
Roger this is a Massive Build!!! I would love to see more photos of the Dora too. 14 feet! Wow! Can I use any more exclamation points!!! this is awesome.. I don't think you answered the BIG question yet.. Where do you put a diorama that big?

Show us more please!!!

An interested fan...

Dave
p47faninchicago
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2012 - 03:08 PM UTC
The diorama is in the building next to my office. It used to be a daycare but it went out of business and I bought the building and used part for storage and part for "man cave". To answer the other question, yes, it could be moved but it would require a great deal of effort. I imagine at least 6 people to distribute the weight evenly and a small moving van. However, it is far from finished so that won't be a problem for quite a while yet.
Wolfsangel
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 - 04:32 AM UTC
Roger, I have to agree with everyone else. This is stunning and the level of detail is fantastic also. Best of show for just showing up with a 14x5 dio. With the amount of time and effort put in to it, I'd say Dio of the Year! Thanks for sharing!
Wow!
mcsixtyfive
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 10:12 PM UTC
hi roger,

are you there?

I read with great interest your work, big and great!
as I have on the bench a bussing nag with crane, I would like to know where you found the documentation on the chest ...

".......The Bussing-Nag is from Azimut although the stabilizers and the tool box were scratch built. I always wondered what the inside of the box looked like and when I researched it I was surprised to learn that the sides of the box could be dropped and used as a work table so I wanted to model that as I had never seen it modeled before....."

can you help me? thanks from now on, p.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 - 11:29 PM UTC
WOW!

Dear editor: make this a special!
This a superb dio with a million things to see.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 03:45 AM UTC
Hi Rodger,

Terrific project you have underway there. Vehicles and figures look super, so much to see. I agree about the ground work being a bit sparse but plenty of time for that by the looks of things.

Lovely work.

Al
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 07:29 AM UTC
You are insane man!!
 _GOTOTOP