Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
World of Tanks campaign
panzerfan76
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 08:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Construction is pretty much finished. Waiting for the circle template to arrive then on to the road wheels. This is the first time using Magic Tracks, any tips on how to put these together and what glue to use?

Hey Bro, check it out. Magic tracks (or any plastic indie link, for that matter), can be super easy if you go this route- TEST FIT, TEST FIT, and um, oh yeah- TEST FIT.
Build the sprockets, idlers, and return rollers. If the track tensioning arm is a separate piece, DON'T GLUE IT ON. Next, go to a craft store. Buy 2' of A) 3" wide, 1/4" thick strip, and B) 1" square wood strip. Buy beer. Go home. Nail the 1" to the 3" flat with the 1" strip flush against the edge of the 3". Viola! A track jig that you can use for any, and I mean any, project after this. Then, cut the whole thing in half. Then, give the other half to a modelling friend. Christmas gift problem- solved.
Now, assemblage. Research the tank that you're doing and find out the # of tracks that went on each side. Divide in half. Place (DO NOT GLUE) one side of sprockets, idlers, return wheels and rollers, and the tensioning arm on to the hull. Take the halved amount of links, make a run on the jig (1' is all you will need for most projects, hence the gift idea). Glue the tracks together using regular plastic cement. Once you have the links together, put them on the tank and shape them. The time it takes to put a 1/2 run of tracks together, the glue will still be pliable enough. then make the other half of links, place those on, and shape. DON'T GLUE THE ENDS OF THE RUNS TOGETHER. Use the unglued tensioner for it's original purpose- move back and forth and get the desired amt of "sag" in your tracks. Make sure the ends meet, add or subtract a link or two to get it right. Then put a dot of glue on the tensioner to hold it in place (for this, I use CA to lock it up and add regular glue later). then clamp/ stabilize and leave to dry completely. Repeat on the other side. When you come back, you can separate the two track runs from each other, take all the wheels and idlers off of the sides, and paint/ weather as you wish. Then when you're ready, glue it all in place and you're done. Then tell your friend he owes you a six-pack for the jig.
HTH.
Zaaphod
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ok well it has been a long time coming but the vorne is finally making progress!! got the sprues primed today because strangely for great britain we have some really good weather at the moment!!! here are the pics.........
oh yeah im sorry but most of them are sideways.....oops

the box

I have been meaning to ask, that kit comes with interior?
panzerfan76
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, August 02, 2013 - 08:54 PM UTC
Also, I have no idea where this is coming from, but because I am inspired by reading about this campaign, I'm probably going on a spending rampage tomorrow. E-75, and I might- MIGHT- scratch build a PZ III/IV. (Shudders- What am I thinking?) Any ref material that anybody has would be greatly appreciated.

scribbles101
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been meaning to ask, that kit comes with interior?

The answer to your question is HELL YESS there is a very detailed interior on this kit but it only has all the gubbins in the turret nothing for the engine or the rest of the hull interior only the turret you will see when i eventually get that far....

oh yeah been away for a couple of weeks but I have made some progress on the vorne. I will have the pics up by tomorrow.
scribbles101
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
Ok little bit late but hell here we go, finally got the progress pics for you!

firstly, lower hull painted and suspension and road wheels/drive sprockets and idler wheels attached

first dry fit of the upper hull + tracks going together

finally got all the tracks together and fitted to the tank

sorry for the terrible quality of the last photograph i could not get the camera to focus properly so this was the best of a bad bunch really
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 - 02:31 AM UTC
With slow progress on the other kits I'm working on, I did manage to just about complete one of my builds. The Amusing hobby VK 3002 DB. Time to build those workable tracks so I can finish it.

Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - 01:30 AM UTC
Great looking builds, people.

@ComradeMP: how's the quality on that VK3002DB kit?
Wilso2276
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 01:08 PM UTC
Great campaign. I have just gotten back online with my builds. And this one will make two campaigns I will be building for.

For this campaign, I am going back to my old faithful, that until Mediums were taken to Tier 10, I would run on a daily basis for Clan Wars. I loved getting my T-54 up along side a Maus that couldn't get enough depression to shoot me.
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2013 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great looking builds, people.

@ComradeMP: how's the quality on that VK3002DB kit?

Hmm, don't know if it's the plastic/color itself but the detail doesn't seem to be as crisp as other kits. I'd replace the tools, but no real complaints.

Also have the Amusing Hobby Lowe. You can really get a feel for how big this thing is.

Again, the tools could use some replacing. Metal barrel in the kit but that just makes the barrel point downwards. I put a support under the mantlet to keep the gun level. And the holes on the muzzle break is mostly solid. So I got to spend a good bit of time drilling out every single hole...... but it really improved the look of it.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 01:08 PM UTC
Well better late then never. I am in with a Trumpeter Dicker Max.

Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 09:16 PM UTC
Nice one, Kevin. The D.Max is fun to play. I love the gun depression and the damage per shell.

@ComradeMP: So you're one of the lucky ones who got the metal barrel? My Löwe-kit did not, unfortunately.
IamTJones
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 - 10:37 PM UTC
Damn there are some great builds in this campaign, as an avid WoT player I'm gutted I somehow missed taking part here.

But I have to add since there have been so many new vehicles released into the game it would be rude not to have a part 2 haha

keep up the good work guys

Tristan
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 07:47 AM UTC
I did some work on the Cromwell 1/72 T29 and T30 resin kits I got a few months ago, and to be perfectly honest, I doubt I'll ever finish them. They are rather on the rough side with tons of air bubbles and overall really crappy castings to them. The barrel on the T29E3 is just about useless (warped and poorly molded). So much for a quick and easy build!

I'll have to see if I have something else outside of the T-26E3 Pershing conversion I have I can build from WoT. Otherwise I don't see me finishing a kit in time...to many other projects at the moment!

spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 01:43 AM UTC
You might get some AM barrel...

Sorry to hear your plight; and to be honest, happy to read it now, before I ordered those models. I really would like to have a T29, but now you made me doubt it.

Sorry folks, for being absent even though I'm supposed to be the organizer here. I had some busy months getting my degree done, getting a job, and now trying to learn evrything for my new job -and I don't have internet at home.

I did a few reviews for 1/72 kits usable for this campaign, and I'm thinking about ways to somehow reach out to WG -perhaps they would be interested in featuring the finished models in their website.

Any ideas?
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did a few reviews for 1/72 kits usable for this campaign, and I'm thinking about ways to somehow reach out to WG -perhaps they would be interested in featuring the finished models in their website.

Any ideas?

That'd be neat. I remember that they ran a paper model contest in 2011 so I don't think your idea would be far fetched.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 - 02:35 AM UTC
Well I might pop back in...I see Trumpeter makes a KV-122 aka KV-1S in the game. I've been wanting to build something straight OOB for a while now and this might be the ticket. Would be fun just to slap something together and get it done.

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 12:07 PM UTC
Got the kit in last week (Squadron had 25% off sale, so couldn't resist) and broke it out tonight. I spent about an hour and half on it. Fit is generally good, but the side plates for the hull sides could have fit a little bit better. I need to do some minor gap filling and cleaning up of the kit as I go on, but should be pretty easy to finish up by the end of the week build wise if I can put an hour or two a night in.

My intent is build quickly OOTB and then fix minor problems and have it ready to paint by the end of the month at the latest.

spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 12:21 PM UTC
For all the late-comers: I think this campaign could be ran consecutively, if there is enough interest. After all, new tanks, new players.
LeftyDan
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi. I missed this forum completely for the past few years. Anyway, I didn't know about these campaigns. I would consider myself an average modeler. in my head thou I imagine myself doing better than reality.

Anyway, I've played since beta. Im interested in seeing how that Isu-152/bl10 comes out. it was my first tier 8 death cannon. I only have 1 tier 9 due to tank ADD.

Hmm as for what to model. I'd spring for the Tamiya T-55 with a T-54 conversion but I'm not certain how accurate a conversion that is. Maybe the Trumpeter T-54 in 1/72.

In WoT you can add me of you want. Leftydan
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 - 08:49 AM UTC
If anyone is curious about doing a scratchbuilt KV-5..check this out

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/the-beast-of-leningrad/4335

dogstar
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hi Leftydan, I added you on WOT.

Andras, I don't think I've got time to get anything together for this campaign but I wonder if tanks that WERE in the game would have been acceptable, for example the Russian T-28 with 85mm gun? Now the most damaging gun you can mount is a 57mm but dang I miss that 85.
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For all the late-comers: I think this campaign could be ran consecutively, if there is enough interest. After all, new tanks, new players.

Wouldn't mind having it that way. They've added over two dozen new vehicles to the game just in the past six months.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 01:44 PM UTC
Here is where I stand after 8 days, I've been working on it for an hour or so a night, besides doing other projects, like my Thunder Run Build and a Renault UE in German usage that I've ben playing with for over 3 years now. Got some time in over the weekend to work on it and its all down hill from here.

Overall shot, I put the tracks on today. The tracks fit together nicely with enough friction fit so you can stick them together then worry about gluing them. Only downside is that it took me 45 minutes just to remove them from the sprues! Lots of cleanup with attachment and knockout points on them, thankfully no knock out pins on the track shoes themselves.

I also toyed around with the turret with trying to make the casting more defined on it, after seeing JS series turret pictures on line. I added a thin piece of sprue and some Mr dissolved putty on the upper side to smooth out the transition. Then I sanded top to bottom to further smooth them together to keep the "edge" on the bottom.

I need to pop the track off, clean the road wheels up and then start painting the hull before I put the tracks then fenders on.

TheSpearman
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 04:07 AM UTC
Time to contribute around here.

So I'll start with my wonderful little freak tank, the Panzer 2 Ausf J from Hobbyboss.

This is a fairly rare tank in game, as it was never offered for purchase except in the Russian collectors edition. The only way to get them in the EU was to either import a Russian copy or to get one of them direct from WG at a special event like Gamescom. They're almost non-existent on the US server as a result.

In-game it's an oddly imbalanced tank. As a tier 3 it has 80mm of frontal armour and 50 on the sides and rear. Meaning it has more armour than many tier 6s, and is invulnerable to many of the tanks it meets. The flip side is that it only has a 20mm autocannon, and conversely it can be difficult to harm anyone.

This is how it looks in game:

http://omg.wthax.org/59fmVZ.jpg

(big image, so I won't link it in-line)

Kit-wise, the kit seems very similar to the previous Panzer 1 ausf F from Hobbyboss. There's a choice of two gun barrels, so I'll go with the shorter one, that matches the in-game appearance.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 02:14 AM UTC
Here is where I stand as of this weekend on my build:

Deciding if I want to keep in Green or apply camo like the game...