_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Dragon 1/35 Pz.Kpfw. L/70 (A) "Duel"
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hello,

A short while ago I was lucky enough to have a look at this kit for a review which appears here on Armorama: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/8404

Of course you can't let a kit like this sit idle for too long. After talking with a very good friend, call sign Scratchmod, we came up with a cool idea of building the L/70(A) as a "Duel" of sorts....hence the name Duel.

I will be showing my progress here on Armorama of this great kit! If you are interested in checking out Rob and my progress on our Duel you can see it here http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=armor&action=display&thread=2741 on Modelers Social Club Forum. Of course Rob is always welcome to share his progress here too if he wishes!!

Here is the kit:

As seen in the review, this kit is loaded!!! There is always a starting point. This time I actually start with the wheel, similar to the instructions. There are a lot on this Pz. IV platform and it is best to get them out of the way when you are fresh!!! (pics to follow later). This morning I attacked the lower end...the Hull.

Only ran into one little side step upon lower construction. This was not covered in the review as it can only be discovered by building the kit. The cover plate for the drive sprocket gears, There is a small plate that needs to be added to the front section of the hull before the cover plate is installed. You will need to take this hull part labeled B10 & B11 seen in the lower half of the instructions below...

Parts B10 and B11...you will need to remove the molded mounting pins from the rear of the plate and then sand the pieces down on some sandpaper on a hard flat surface. Sand a little and then dry fit until it is flush!

This is the section I am referring too. The tiny white line above the plate is the joint of the part B-11 (lol the part numbers are reversed on the directions....go figure) Before sanding this piece was a good .5 mm thicker than it's adjoining part.

I spent time this morning on the suspension as this will be needed for all those wheel!!

You have to love DML's approach to the Pz. IV suspension...48 parts that probably could be molded in 26...just the way it is!!!

This rear plate is not fixed yet, just for the picture....I covered this in my review on Armorama, this is the only Pz. IV rear plate supplied in this kit. It is not the right one. I will have to add some triangular support plates to a future part...the tow hooks. Should be an easy fix though.

And that is where I stand at the moment! Like a dummy I made up 1 set too many of the rubber road wheels and obviously one less of the steel. Off to fix this now!!! I might get to play some more on this today, but it's moving right along!!

Thank for playing along!!!
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 08:30 AM UTC
This should be fun Of course Rob's kit has what...6 pieces in it compared to your 700

Any plan for how she's going to look? In service or rusty wreck? No matter what, I'm looking forward to seeing how both progress.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi James!! Thanks for stopping by!! LOL...6 pieces might be a stretch in Rob's kit...there is a twist to this story though...this is "part 1" the L/70. "Part 2" of this Duel will be a StuG III....Rob has the fancy newer DML kit and I the older one!!! Should be a fun ride!!!

As for direction...kind of going with the flow, but it will have damage but more to the captured, and operational kind. Best of everything!!! Once I get closet to nailing thing down, I might even know more...LOL!!!!
c5flies
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 01:13 PM UTC
Ahh, so a "dual duel" eh It'll be interesting to see how the old and new stack up (models that is) and how the painting/weathering turns out on both.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 03:19 PM UTC
It should turn out fairly interesting!! Part of this was for Rob and I to rip into a couple of kits and just let loose!!! ....some of these old kits can still be built up into extraordinary pieces!!! As well as the new ones have amazing potential!! I am more interested in seeing how the two different ideas can be brought out on basically the same kit at the same time!! Just FUN!!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 03:19 PM UTC
If Rob is involved I will definitely be watching this. Ever since I saw his rusty dusty Panther I've been in awe of his abilities (no offense Todd...just not familiar with your work yet)

Nice of Dragon to throw in that oversized part (not to mention the wrong style back plate). They sure know how to keep builds interesting!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 04:12 PM UTC
Hey Bob!!

I am sure we will see Rob's version at some point soon. He started before me and is moving along nicely!! I am catching up, but not a race!!

LOL..no offense btw!! I have a couple of features kicking around as well as a few reviews. Here is a peek of something that came off the bench this year:

Inspired from a pic I am sure you may have seen on the net....the one on the left is mine and the one on the right was from '43

Another one put together over a weekend, ended up helping to show off some Armor Farm:

Just a couple! You have to have fun at what you do!!! Rob and I wanted to have just that with these Duels...FUN!

Thanks for stopping in and I will provoke Rob to try and get something from his build up here when he get a moment!!
panzerconor
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 04:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Inspired from a pic I am sure you may have seen on the net....the one on the left is mine and the one on the right was from '43

Holy crap, Todd I saw that panzer IV build at the show in Chicopee this past year. It looks even better in person! Awesome work

-Conor
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 10:22 PM UTC
Hello Conor!!

Thank you for the kind words on that!! Wings and Wheels is a fun show to hit each year!! Good people, great builds and loads of vendors!! Will be heading back again this year, of course I have no idea what to bring yet but fun to hang out most of the time anyway!! I have some good friends that might have a table or two set up...makes for a nice place to just hang!! We'll have to make a point to hook-up and say hi...always good to meet to friends at these shows!!
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 10:32 PM UTC
Wow Todd, that's just amazing.... Can't wait to see what you do with the 'Duel' project. I'm guessing it's safe to saw that Panzer IV's crew was killed. The lone turret looks fantastic as well.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hi Christopher!! LOL...Your up late, or I am just up too early!! Cali? Almost 3AM there!! LOL!!

Thank you for the kindness!!

I thought they would be goners too...but I have seen at least two other nice pics of Pz.IV's scuttled by the crew and the turret popped up in almost the same manner, no trees though...leaning towards self destruction myself!

The turret job was just too much fun!! If I can ever suggest anything, if you have a chance to grab an old junk model out of your stash of pick on up cheap at a store or something..this is the way to go. Quick build, way to much FUN just messing around and sometimes you just end up with a sweet little "Desk Plant" for the office!!
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 11:30 PM UTC
I just might have to do that Todd. I'm always up this late, especially tonight. Just got home from a concert and my ears are ringing enough to where I don't think I'll be sleeping.
scratchmod
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hey T.Cool that you are posting your part here.

As T has mentioned, this is just something we both were talking about at the last show and since we had kits to use, why not have some fun. Same vehicle, two different models having fun to see what we come up with. This will like T said show that even older models can still be built into nice pieces.

Well here is mine so far. Just using images from the web to come up with my own version. Nothing 100% but just having fun.

chefchris
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 12:41 PM UTC
Todd,
Your photos are terrific! What set up are you using?
I just love the Guderian Ducks!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 12:42 PM UTC
Ahh, look at that!!! Nice showing Rob!! Always a pleasure watching you put "stuff" together my friend!! Looks like you are getting close to the booth soon!!! Mmmmm...the smell of fresh paint in the morning!!! Thanks for joining in over here!!!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 12:59 PM UTC
Looking forward to learn from your build
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 01:52 PM UTC
The base looks fantastic. Great idea you two have.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 02:22 PM UTC
Impressive work Todd.

(wistfully thinking to myself) One day...some day... nawww, who am I kidding!

Do either you or Rob plan on going to the AMPS convention in Atlanta in April?
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 02:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Impressive work Todd.

(wistfully thinking to myself) One day...some day... nawww, who am I kidding!

Do either you or Rob plan on going to the AMPS convention in Atlanta in April?

LOL...you should give it a shot!! The first cut is the hardest!!

As for the AMPS Atlanta....Not to sure at the moment from my side of the ledger...height of the beginning softball season and I coach. Not sure if Rob was planning either....LOL...need to get through the holiday first
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:07 PM UTC
AH yes.... the rummble in tha rubble! In tha red corner....Master of the art of destruction! In the blue cormer...tha challenger! Who will come out on top? Could be a blood bath gentlemen...cover tha childrens eyes!!!

Just funnin' with you fellas! Love Tha "Duel"!

Gary
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:56 PM UTC
LOL...always a good time to have you along for the ride Gary!!!

Should be no winners or losers ...only destruction!!!

Thanks for tagging along!!!
c5flies
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 04:07 PM UTC
Who's this Rob guy? Oh yeah, my friend that hasn't emailed me in months! Good to see you stranger.

These are both looking great so far gentlemen, keep up the progress

Todd, that dio is spectacular...do I smell a photo feature or is that reserved for something else?
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 07:23 PM UTC
It's a fun build thing we have so no blood being drawn Gary

Atlanta, not me. Maybe the following year in Va. Have plans to finally take a vacation with the missus during that time.

James my man. yeah bud been busy with the forum change over and all. Figured you were too busy after I didn't hear back from you. Had my right hand man get with you on something tho. Will drop you a line or two soon.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 11:10 PM UTC
Hi James!!

The dio? That would be Rob's...LOL!! Mine will be forth-coming soon!!

As for the feature, I am sure something can be done my friend!!! .

Rob - 2:30AM? Dude, you need your beauty sleep!!
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
LOL, yeah T was an early posting eh. Got 4 hours sleep then did some cleaning and gluing this morning. I had planned on doing mainly OOTB with mine but I may add some detailing and redo the welds. Will post a pic later on MSCF.
 _GOTOTOP