_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya M51
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 - 09:55 AM UTC
Each time I saw one of these built up (in a mag or forum) I thought: "I have to do one of those". So here I go, as much OOB as possible, in that I haven't bought any AM parts for it, but am using pieces from my stash, including some brass.
Basic hull:

In the pic below, the tow cable clamps on the top-mid hull are now replaced with Formations resin parts that I found lurking in my stash. The etch foundry marks were in Dragon kits that I've been using for parts, very useful and totally forgotten about by me.

I'm not moving very quickly on this one, lots else going on, but I'll try and keep pics posted on a regular basis. I am enjoying this build, due in large part to the fact that the kit parts FIT. My modeling time not spent fixing engineering problems (even though that's still modeling) but in building a kit and adding such details as I'm comfortable with, very refreshing. Sure, Tamiya did a few things in the name of simplicity, but nothing that's not easy to fix.
paul51
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 - 03:43 PM UTC
Looking good
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 08:55 AM UTC
Thanks, Paul.
Current pics:

There's a few Academy and Formations parts here and there, but not much in the way of AM. I plan on re-doing the heat shield for the aux. generator muffler, shouldn't have a sharp bend.
More later, thanks for looking, as always.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC
Looking good. This kit is on my to-do list for sure.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 10:36 AM UTC
I'm not much of a Sherman guy, but I always enjoying watching them be built. Doing a great job! Hook me, and I'll complete the one in my stash. Following.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC
Jesse, I'd be all over the blog when you do one....
Matt, jump on in, it's not 'really' a Sherman, not with that big ol' gun tube. I'm haveing a hard time on the weeks I work days, like now, since my night weeks are when I get bench time. This one is that enjoyable.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesse, I'd be all over the blog when you do one....
Matt, jump on in, it's not 'really' a Sherman, not with that big ol' gun tube. I'm haveing a hard time on the weeks I work days, like now, since my night weeks are when I get bench time. This one is that enjoyable.

Isn't "enjoyable" the reason we all build? I have quite a few shelf queens. They are shelf queens because I lost interest(a.k.a. no longer found them enjoyable). Keep at it. It's looking great!
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 01:24 PM UTC
I think I can avoid this one becoming a shelf queen......
Pics as of early today:
Can brackets with spacers. This is a pain.

Left rear area, with one can on. Spacers are trimmed to fit for each location.

Rt rear, tools, spare tracks, side box. Box is dinged up, spare tracks cut apart.
I dug out some AFV Club T80 tracks with the idea of using them but the blocks themselves are no better than the Tammy parts. I did put together a run of 8 or so links, and remembered why they're almost hidden from me: thay're a royal pain in the gazebo to work with. And to think I have another whole box of them.
New and improved heat shield on aux gen muffler, other tool box. I still have some fuzz to clean up here.

Thanks for looking, and if you see anything I'm flubbing, sing out.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
Looking good Russ
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 03:18 PM UTC
The added welds are very nice. The only thing I see so far you could change without spending any money is to thin the brush guards down. It's even easier once you have them cemented in as you do.
I ordered one a week ago. Can't wait until it arrives so I can put the Legend update on it.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 11:07 AM UTC
Anthony, thanks.
Robert, I took about 1/2 their thickness off with a file while they were still on the sprue, but just "inside" the hoop-part. Looks like the rears could have some material taken off the angled brace without too much trouble. I'm kind of hesitant to take any more off the fronts, but they still look kinda thick in the pics. Hmm....
Okay, the rest of the fuel (or oil) and water cans are on, still need a bit of putty on one of the rear mounts, and then on to the turret. Pics so far:

One thing for sure, these pics are sure showing me all the little areas that need refinement....
doppelganger
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 06:11 PM UTC
Nice work so far
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 10:29 AM UTC
Russel, just a solid build so far. Looking forward to your next update.
Joel
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 01:18 PM UTC
Thanks, guys. This is a smooth build and why I enjoy the newer Tamiya kits so much.
Onward with the turret. You'll see some different parts here, seems like the Tamiya commander's cupula was a little soft on detail, so I used a Dragon part, with an` Academy hatch, all from the spares box. And yes, the commander's hatch is hinged, a little AMS creeping in.
Once again, the pics are helping me see missed mold seams and fuzz here and there.
The pics:

No more bench time for a week or so, I'm officially having withdrawal symptoms.....
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 04:48 PM UTC
Looks Awesome over here too Russ!

Gary
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 - 06:16 AM UTC
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 10:29 AM UTC
Progress so far: stowage is done, turret detail all done, and turret and hull in primer. The pics:

Tomorrow should mean the first color coat, unless it rains.
BTW, if anyone out there is building one of these and NOT using the kit tracks, I will buy them from you.
I have a couple of shelf queens that would move along nicely...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 11:17 AM UTC
Seeing your build, with the primer laid down is impressive... Most impressive.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 11:28 AM UTC
Yes ir Russ,those tracks we're just fine with me,the stowage is really going to make it
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
Why thank you,sir.
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Each time I saw one of these built up (in a mag or forum) I thought: "I have to do one of those". So here I go, as much OOB as possible, in that I haven't bought any AM parts for it, but am using pieces from my stash, including some brass.
Basic hull:

In the pic below, the tow cable clamps on the top-mid hull are now replaced with Formations resin parts that I found lurking in my stash. The etch foundry marks were in Dragon kits that I've been using for parts, very useful and totally forgotten about by me.

I'm not moving very quickly on this one, lots else going on, but I'll try and keep pics posted on a regular basis. I am enjoying this build, due in large part to the fact that the kit parts FIT. My modeling time not spent fixing engineering problems (even though that's still modeling) but in building a kit and adding such details as I'm comfortable with, very refreshing. Sure, Tamiya did a few things in the name of simplicity, but nothing that's not easy to fix.

Russell,

She's looking real nice, I love the way you built the mud guard supports and the steps on the front. Those are tiny little pieces of plastic and not easy to cut and trim to size. I see you have done your homework on all the little details, let me just draw your attention to one in particular. You added a General Steel Casting mark in the middle of your Glacis. This particular type of hull was built by Continental. You can distinguish the two types because the Continental has a very visible larger bulge for the co-driver hood while the General Steel is perfectly symmetrical on both sides. Just a small detail, but it's kinda like slapping a ford sign on the old chevy.

Pedro
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 09:25 AM UTC
Well, krrappp, Pedro, that's a case of "monkey see, monkey do". My Acad kit has that casting mark on the glacis and I found one in an etch set in a Dragon parts kit... You get the idea. Color is on, so it's kind of too late to pull it off without a lot of re-do, so I'm just going to have to live with it.
Anyway, pics so far:

Now I gotta go scratch my head about that casting logo.....
Any kits out there that depict the General Steel hull? I'd like to see the difference, see just how noticable the difference is. The Acad hull looks just like the Tamiya part, as far as I can tell.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, krrappp, Pedro, that's a case of "monkey see, monkey do". My Acad kit has that casting mark on the glacis and I found one in an etch set in a Dragon parts kit... You get the idea. Color is on, so it's kind of too late to pull it off without a lot of re-do, so I'm just going to have to live with it.
Anyway, pics so far:

Now I gotta go scratch my head about that casting logo.....

If an extra casting mark is the worst error in your kit, life's not too bad.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 10:40 AM UTC
That's true. However, it's the little bitty things, the itty bitty things, that P!&& me off...
I confess to being a little bit OCD on stuff like this.
I don't even know what the other logo looks like. I can always cover this one up with the barbed wire roll that's going to hang on the front, maybe an oil can thrown in there.
I'll dig out my books, see how bad it bothers me.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 11:39 AM UTC
Russell-- what color and brand did you use for the primer and your base coat?
thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP