Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The G.un T.ruck O.rder 'Battlewagons'
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:24 AM UTC
Howdy Jacques!!

Heyyyyy, no need to be sorry fella, there are always others to 'toy' with right?

Actually I'm very happy to hear that someone has made these items (a wee bit on the expensive side though don't you think?). And since you've already got the M983, how is the quality of the Nimix kits?? I did once open a box of the BWN Monitor and was pleasantly surprised......tell us what you think.

Tread.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:36 AM UTC
Tead & Jaques,
YES NO NEED TO BE SORRY. Its great one someone knows that something is already available. And I agree they are kind of exspensive. I checked out the web page. I've bought stuff from Red Lancers before and I wasnt aware of these kits.
Now as for the M983. HHHHMMM Thats not too hard of a conversion, and then I could save
the $90 ,and do it myself in plastic. But the Patriot vehicles are a different thing, harder and deffinately exspensive. That would be a tempting one.
TREAD: As for the SNO CAT type. No not tracks over the existing wheels....but remove the wheels and install new wheels and arms w/ tracks. GET THE PICTURE?
Yes we'll take the manufacturing part to PM. Maybe at another venue/time..
JAQUES: THANKS again for the great news of the kits in question. This is getting VVVVEEERY INTWESTING!!!!! LOL
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:57 PM UTC
Hey guys,

I will try to get a pic of the HEMTT tractor sometime to let you see the guts of the kits. You definately get your moneys worth...lots of pieces and Photo-etch...the tractor has 5-6 sheets of PE. I have heard very good things about the patriot launcher as well.

Price wise, well, shipping is the killer. The kits sell for about $85 for a trailer kit in Spain, but NIMIX has you add 25% of the order for shipping...quite a killer. Not sure why this is...anyone know anything about Spain and its postal practices?

Casting quality is very good, I have had no problems. Casting and master qulaity seems to be on par with verlinden. There have been some arguments to accuracy of the HEMTT kits, (they were on the market several years before the Italeri kit), But to me it sounds like bolt counters going crazy.

It may be hard to only make a conversion for the Italeri kit since so much of the frame is visable on the HEMTT tractor, and the Italeri frame is a bit ...ah, anemic for frame detail.

Again, I will try to get a pic up in here for you to see what it is all about.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
all this talk about tracked vehicles...made me look for these...military humvees with mattracks:

and the link...http://www.mattracks.com/html/military.htm
working on a scale version of these...

kglack
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 09:41 PM UTC
[quote]all this talk about tracked vehicles...made me look for these...military humvees with mattracks

HEY TREAD !!!!! SEE just like this idea cept on a HEMMT.!!!! WHOO HOOOO
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:09 AM UTC

WHAT THE !?!?!.......Apparently I've been resting my head under a mushroom or something fellas, I had no idea something like that existed! Now, if our Rob's listening (hope he is), he's probably chuckling to himself and saying..." oh, those things, ahh, old news...." But me, .....just didn't know . Shoulda guessed though I suppose.

Mnay thx for finding and posting the pics kglack (and knowing about them ). Now, the question is, if one wanted to duplicate the 'mattracks', what would one use!?! It wouldn't have to pass any 'rivet-counters' inspection, but just be a good representation of a matttrack, hmmm................

ROTOR: lol...I must admit, to this self-proclaimed ' variant' .lover, the mental picture of a HEMTT with it's dual wheels sporting a set of these 'mattracks' is interesting to say the least!
I'm thinking, those smaller diameter, lower rollers look alot like the ones on the Revell LVT-A1 AMTRAC, or even possibly the small Churchill rollers (nah, too large), but wait, they'd have to be a bit bigger to accomodate the incresed size of the HEMTT compared to the Humvee wouldn't they?
Just thinking out loud.......

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC

God, I just love these 'what-if' conversations!!! To a pure-bred Variant aficionado like me, it's HEAVEN!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Anyway...just had to get that out!

Tread.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:19 AM UTC
"Is this Heaven?"

close...it's Armorama!

kglack
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Is this Heaven?"

no...it's Armorama!

kglack

Amen Brother! Preach it! :-)
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
Now, the question is, if one wanted to duplicate the 'mattracks', what would one use!?! It wouldn't have to pass any 'rivet-counters' inspection, but just be a good representation of a matttrack, hmmm................

ROTOR: lol...I must admit, to this self-proclaimed ' variant' .lover, the mental picture of a HEMTT with it's dual wheels sporting a set of these 'mattracks' is interesting to say the least!
I'm thinking, those smaller diameter, lower rollers look alot like the ones on the Revell LVT-A1 AMTRAC, or even possibly the small Churchill rollers (nah, too large), but wait, they'd have to be a bit bigger to accomodate the incresed size of the HEMTT compared to the Humvee wouldn't they?
Just thinking out loud.......

Tread.<
PRETTY COOL HUH!!!! I've seen that exact set up on A YAMAHA BANSHEE 4x4 ATV.
any how .........this is what I INVISION:
DRIVE SSPROCKETS the size of say HMM M1 or M60
TRACK = Bouble pad show w/ center guide tooth
WHEELS= say M41, M18 size widened of course
all on a pivoting rail connected to the axles and springs of the HEMMT assy.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? AM I JUST PIPE DREAMIN????
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 12:22 PM UTC
Howdy ROTOR,

...been thinkin' huh? Me too. I like the suggestions, I've actually been 'toying' with the idea (since it won't stop nawing at my 'evil' twin) a little myself and what I came up with so far is this:

I've plucked some more pieces/parts out of the Dragon MLRS kit box (already stolen the rocket launcher turret for use on my 'War Wagon), and have used the drive sprockets from it to attach to the HEMTT axles. It works fine, except (as you might expect) it's a tad too small to use with the tracks I have in mind. For the suspended idler wheels, I have mocked up a set of rear track suspension components and support assembly from a derelict Tamiya M16 halftrack. They definitely have potential. Now, so far, for the idler wheels themselves I picked up a bag of small wooden spools from Hobby Lobby today, they also have potential (just tryin' out different avenues). And lastly, I wanted a set of flat, wide, and un-rubberized tracks...so, I pulled a set of rubber band tracks from my old Academy Tiger I parts box and believe it or not it sizes up pretty nice! The only downside (appearance-wise), is that the german Tiger tracks have a double set of guide teeth (easily changed).
What do you think?

Tread.

I'm feeling whoosey.....falling under the influence of a new strain of AMS.......heeeeeelp.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC

...heyyyy, just tried the M1A1 drive sprockets in place of the smaller MLRS sprockets.....they are MUCH better! But one major problem, the drive teeth do not fit the pattern on the Tiger tracks.........gotta think.

Tread.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 12:39 PM UTC
Tread,
DANIALSON .........think outside the box !!! If the M1 sprkts are better...as I thought they would be, your half way there. Now use T146 or T158 track blocks. the wheels will be
all ready set up for center guide teeth. The M3 sprocket was a good idea tho. WAIT use the M3 idler at the other end of the track run. EVEN better if you have the PE set of idlers.
I think the suspension units from the M3 are TOO whinpy for this large of AFV. Ya gotta scratch something bigger, but w/ the same design as the M2 or use my idea of the rail
system. HHMMM ...........now you got me Brainstormin...!!! IM gonna get a brain cramp..........
I smell smoke, call the fire CO.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 01:00 PM UTC

...O.K., O.K. Mr. Myagi!!, take it easy on these old brain cells of mine, my synapse's aren't what they used to be ya know!
I understand the M1 drive sprockets will fit the T158 tracks, but what I was trying to accomplish was the appearance of the mattracks footprint, you know, mostly flat, wide, track grooves completely straight across, and all metal.....that's all........please don't make me do the 'wax-on, wax-off' ...O,K?

Tread.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:40 PM UTC
Hey Tread ,
Was doin some yardwork while I was away. DONT SHOOT ME. I was brainstormin.
what about this? I think the Mattrax design is a sound design sooooo.....#1 We use the M1 sprockets @ the top center, on the ends of the HEMMT axles. #2 M3 Halftrack idlers @ each
end of the track runs on the ground (base of the triangle) #3 Then ya put say 3 or 4 medium wheels M41 ,M18 in between. Now back to the track. I like your all matel idea, so what about a russian type, T-62 0r T72. See if the M1 sprockets teeth will match the tooth slots that are offset from the edge of the russian tracks. I think they will........or can you add spacers or make them thinner.
IF THAT ALL WORKS= Then we gotta think of a mounting for the wheels in the middle. I like the type setup on the M3 halftrack w/ the 4 little wheels on a central bogie. Whatya think.
THIS IS SO COOL. KEEP ME POSTED!!!!

OH another thing .I got the dimension line dwg's for 5 different HEMMT's. I can scan to disc,then put them in my gallery,then U can go and download from my gallery to your FAV's
HMMM GOOD IDEA.???? I'm not up to speed on the computer world.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:13 PM UTC
so, i take it you like the mattracks idea...huh...

kglack
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:55 PM UTC

:-) ...hate it.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 05:21 PM UTC
LOL YOU"RE SUCH A HOSER
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 06:15 AM UTC
Here is the ref photo on the NIMIX kit.

See you guys after the 29th...
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC

......."See you guys after the 29th".......

Where the heck do you think you're going!?!

Many thx for the pic of the HEMTT tractor Jacques, it looks to be pretty inclusive. I would really like to know the difference/difference's between the Nimix kit (for around $90.00) and kit-bashing the Italeri M977 kit into the tractor (for around $40.00). You said the frame rails were much more detailed, how about everything else>?

Tread.

Oh, BTW, if the kit-bashing thing makes sense, would you consider casting a few parts off of your Nimix kit for us? Namely the 5th-wheel plate for instance? Just thought I'd ask. :-)
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 03:06 PM UTC
Jaques:
Great pic.!!!! Thanks for the pic/post. It makes ,making a dicision that much easier.
You get to see what your paying for. AND I WOULD DEFFINATELY part w/ my $89 for all those pieces.
Tread:
Kitbashing the 977 into a M983 for $40 ......where did you get that idea. The wheels
alone in resin are $35 and then you're gonna have to come up w/ the rest of the parts to complete the job. Not that Im not up for the task, (since Im already 1/2 way there w/ the parts
and resin kits I already have) The fifth wheel can come from any monogram semi kit, the frame is a scratch swap and detail yask with the italeri 977, The whinch's are doable from scratch, or you can get the same winch from the M26 Dragon Wagon.(cast them,, I would)
Todd does not like to waste parts or kits just for one piece.!!!!
I think all the other goodies you get in the NIMIX kit are what make it worth the money tho.
But there is nothing in that kit that YOU or I cant do ourselves. Its just a matter of how much effort you want to invest. NIMIX just builds right out of the box, going the other route will take more time.

TREAD::: THIS IS YOUR LUCKY DAY !!!! I went back to my files and .........whatya know. I got duplicates of the whole iinfo pkg from OSH KOSH. Its yours.......just tell me how you want it. SNAIL MAIL or E MAIL and I got other stuff that is more in toon w/ this littel SNOW CAT HEMMT we're considering, that I'll throw in TOO. OH and another thing you can have the HETT stuff too.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 03:38 PM UTC

OUCH!!!!!.......Geeeeeeeeez. I was just trying to save a couple of sheckles. We all don't make the six-figure salaries like you do ROTOR!! #:-)
I guess I need to get to know the subject matter better before I go off and start trying to cash modeling checks, my scratchbuilding talents can't cover, huh!?! On the surface it just doesn't look that hard.....but before I go any further, PLEASE send me those plans you have just been SO nice to offer me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe after studying those for a wee while you and I can 'spar' more accurately about the whole thing.

For the record, I really appreciate all the input from you guys, especially you ROTOR, you're taking the time to fill me in on a few things that are a bit new to me (I 've never done any 'modern' armour at all until this T2K 'thing' came along), and haven't come off like a 'know-it-all'. In fact, none of you have.......it's appreciated.

Tread.

My Email address is:

[email protected]

It's also in my Profile.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:39 PM UTC
TREAD:
DONT WORRY I GOT YOUR BACK>!!! I didn't know about this Y2K thing, but then
you started talking about the fondness of HEMMT's and it just snowballed(SNOCATTED) (pun intended) from there. LOL Im like you in saving some sheckles.....Heck Im so tight I squeek when I pass gas.LOL But seariously I have to admit I have shelled out the shillings for,(what I considered out of the question) some pretty exspensive kits. IE; ANYTHING from Collect Air starts at $89.00. And this was one of those deals where it was the only game in town.....so I gave in. The List price was $149.00 I paid $82.00 on a closeout deal. Then I got kicked in the groan when I found out 2 weeks later that Roden has a 04' listing in the cat. for the same aircraft in Injected plastic, so go figure. WE NEVER WIN.
I think this whole BATTLEWAGON/ HEMMT thing is a great idea. AND I dont atest to being a KNOW IT ALL,,,,,,,but I like to have my facts straight. Im not a bean counter ,when it comes to modelling, but I guess my 150%, all or nothing, perfectionist, attitude bleads into my UTTER JOY of this GREAT hobby called MODELLING.
That said.......I just want to make sure I do my research(which I have) and good referance material, and make the item as close to accurate as possable, before I take XACTO to plastic.
COME ON TREAD. this thing isn't that hard. we can do it. we've already worked out some of the bugs,DONT PULL OUT KNOW> LOL HA HA.

PS: Do you have the PC smarts to be able to alter and work w/ the images if I email instead of snail mail. I know I dont" LOL cause you can have them hardcopy if you want.
Give me a shout FURHER and tell me your WISHES
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:17 AM UTC
Ohhhhhh The Ideas for a Artic Hemtt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 02:23 PM UTC
Howdy Rotor (you changed your log-in name to lower case......good , it always seemed like you were SHOUTING!!!!!!!! #:-) )

Anyway, back to whatever it was I was about to say.....
Appreciate the 'good word' Rotor! Don't worry though, I'm not going anywhere. I'm the one who started this blamed thread!! I am having a ball, and my scratchbuilding skills are growing by leaps and bounds!! Hey, pretty soon, I'll be able to compete with the likes of you guys!
Between the bunch of us, we'll figure it out!!

To toss something on the table to 'figure out', how about this fellas; We've got a pretty good start on figuring out the Sno-HEMTT (by the way, I've already gone out and picked up yet another HEMTT kit so I can perform my R&D on it, instead of my present HEMTT kit). At least I feel like we've got a handle on it. But here's a rub, the HEMTT has dual front steering wheels that both turn at the same time, how do you propose to handle that? (I've already got my idea's on the challange, just want to hear yours).
Mine is simply shaping the dual tracks to 'clear' one another (kinda flat between the tracks).
Oh, before I forget. I usually store all of the parts to kits I'm working on in those clear 2.5 gallon Sterilite 'shoeboxes' you get at places like Target. And once I start a project I grab a piece of masking tape and place it on the end of the box and write down the name of the kit on the tape with a Sharpie fine-point marker, i.e., LRDG Chevy, M577 dio-bound, etc. Since I've started these T2K builds, I've taken to actually naming the projects. My first HEMTT GunTruck is called "War Wagon", this new box with the new HEMTT kit in it slowly being transformed into some kind of Winter Warfare Warrior has been named the "YETI".........for what it's worth.

matt: If you have ideas for an artic HEMTT, don't keep 'em to yourself man......share them!!!

Tread out.