_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The G.un T.ruck O.rder 'Battlewagons'
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 04:05 AM UTC
Howdy All,

O.K., O.K., I may be going out on a limb here with this seemingly selfish 'Topic Title', but to be honest, I and quite a few other's are having sooooooooo much fun over on the 'T2K, where is everyone?' thread building new and improved HEMTT style GunTruck's for entry in the T2K Campaign itself that it has kinda of blossomed into a life of it's own! So, I have taken the opportunity here with this new 'Topic Title' to branch off some of the wonderful creative juice's that have been flowing like the Missouri River over on the T2K Campaign thread and creating another 'home' for the member's who might want to continue 'Battlewagon' style build-ups separate from (or in addition to) the regular T2K schedule. The present count over there (on my computer) is now up to sixteen(16) pages of posts! Impressive.

So, in the hope that other's may want to participate on a parallel Topic, I'll start this off:

In doing my fairly deep research regarding not only HEMTT vehicle's but the original GunTruck's as well. I have discovered (IMO) some very interesting things about the design, construction, configuration and deployment of wheeled vehicles in combat. For instance, to focus on the HEMTT vehicle manufactured by the OshKosh Corp., it has several configurations up to and including a 16.5-Ton, 10-wheeled version of the standard, and more commonly known 10-Ton, 8-wheeled vehicle. The HEMTT also comes as a tractor-style unit designed to tow semi truck trailers that can incorporate many, many types of combat and support configurations. An example would be the PAC system, or Patriot Advanced Capability system. This is a system that was used very effectively in Operation Iraqi Freedom. The up-sized 16.5-Ton HEMTT EMM-PLS system is also used in multiple configurations, not the least of which is the THAAD missle system which is mounted directly on the back of the 10-wheeled, 16.5-Ton HEMTT vehicle and, utilizing a specialized form of the Loading System apparatus is stood vertical for active launch of it's payload.
This short narrative is not meant as a history of any sort, in fact I actively invite input from the more learned members of Armorama who can shine any light on this Topic. I mean this thread as more of an explanation of the versatility of wheeled vehicles in combat, and of the creative potential the HEMTT line of vehicles in particular. I think, possibly, this may be the basis for the recent overwhelming interest in HEMTT-style 'Battlewagons'. Not only are you building something 'out of the ordinary', but your creative talents are rewarded with a unique stretch of what's plausible/possible? And, if nothing else, it's a whole lotta fun!

To start this off, I will tell you that based upon my personal 'scratchbuilding education by fire', I have decided to take on the PAC system I mentioned before. This, based upon several factors, the two most important ones being; One, it's a 'variant' of the standard 10-Ton HEMTT truck (no third axle, or HET-style wheels and tyre's) and the conversion would turn it into a 'tractor' style vehicle (I've already laid out some plans regarding the change), and Two, it incorporates the hydraulic 'stand-off' jacks for stability that I've been aching to scratch.

So, that is the first entry in the 'non' T2K Campaign 'Battlewagon' build-up thread. I invite you all to please share your ideas, and your various Battlewagon entries by joining up with the GTO club!

Warm Regard's,

Tread.

Now, if I can only figure out the pic-posting thing! #:-)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
I'll throw in a little Help on this subject!!! OshKosh Military Trucks Click on a Product...Get the Brochure....Most of them have Line drawings of the trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
Howdy matt,

Just got in from work and checked the thread...many thx for your input matt. I have visited OshKosh's site. Very good pics, and an even better company video. I will try to figure out the 'posting pics thing' so I can get this thread off on the right foot. I have done so much scratchbuilding as of late, that I want to continue the 'flow'.
I plan to contact some of our members to help me with the scratchbuilding efforts, in particular 'animal' , since he has experience in scratchbuilding a complete (and wonderfully constructed) trailer. and additionally, Gunnie, Sabot, and some of you to help with the construction of the 'Battlewagons'. Again, with any luck, there will be some interest. If not, I will continue on with my Battlewagon projects and scorch the Earth with their presence!!!!!!! #:-)

Tread.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 01:09 PM UTC
Can I help scorch some earth?

I'm not too keen on the HEMETT trucks, but the HET and others like it are , i think, the next gen of armored convoy vehicles. Count me in.
If there's room.

kglack
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 06:47 PM UTC
TREAD.,
I think this is a great idea.!! And Matt is correct on the OK website. I wrote to Osh Kosh in 97' and got an excellent info pkg in the mail from them. Pics and line Dwgs. In my personal photos I have HEMTT versions of the fuel tanker, std cargo, heavy wrecker, PLS w/ trailer, a bridge boat carrying type, the 5th wheel tractor you speek of too. the pontoon bridge hauler, a version w/ a maintanence conex.
Now if I just had a way to get them here so others could enjoy them as well. On another point....the HEMTT was taken to ODS2 in several different guises w/ mixed paint schemes.
The Hobby Supply conv. kit for this vehicle is AWSOME. You have to see one.
I will be watching this thread w/ salavating tounge. Todd
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC
I'm betting the Brochures that are online are what they'd send you in the mail today. I look at them as a Start do do some conceptual drawings of your project before starting.......
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

will be watching this thread w/ salavating tounge

er, can he say that in a public forum?

kglack
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I help scorch some earth?

I'm not too keen on the HEMETT trucks, but the HET and others like it are , i think, the next gen of armored convoy vehicles. Count me in.
If there's room.

kglack

Howdy kglack! And to answer your question...of course you can "scorch some earth"!
And about not being 'keen' on the HEMTT line of trucks, remember, in ALL things there is potential. We'll see if we can't change your mind.
As to the HET, I won't disagree with you there, since one of my Twilight 2000 Campaign '04 entries will be based on the West German Army's Faun Tank Transporter. Also a 'big mutha'!
Glad to have you on the GTO team kglack, and I look forward to you continued participation!

Tread.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
I'm thinking HEMAT trailer bieng towed behind!!!!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[/b]TREAD.,
I think this is a great idea.!! And Matt is correct on the OK website. I wrote to Osh Kosh in 97' and got an excellent info pkg in the mail from them. Pics and line Dwgs. In my personal photos I have HEMTT versions of the fuel tanker, std cargo, heavy wrecker, PLS w/ trailer, a bridge boat carrying type, the 5th wheel tractor you speek of too. the pontoon bridge hauler, a version w/ a maintanence conex.
Now if I just had a way to get them here so others could enjoy them as well. On another point....the HEMTT was taken to ODS2 in several different guises w/ mixed paint schemes.
The Hobby Supply conv. kit for this vehicle is AWSOME. You have to see one.
I will be watching this thread w/ salavating tounge. Todd[/b]

Howdy ROTORHEAD!

Very glad to hear your both wanting to get involved, and, you've obviously already done some 'homework'! (I haven't done that yet But I will! ) Those line drawings will be a valuable asset to those of us doing any scratchbuilding/kit-bashing, and can serve also those of us trying to be at least somewhat accurate.
As to the use of the HEMTT vehicles in ODS2, and it's various paint scheme's...I don't suppose you have any pics, or know where some might be on the web??
And finally, the " Hobby Supply conv. kit for this vehicle is AWSOME". Of which company do you speak? I tried a Google search but came up empty.....got a link? Or an address?

Many thx for you input , and a hearty 'Shout out!' to you for comin' aboard!

Tread.

P.S. Didn't I yak at you recently about where in PA you live, and that I used to fly helo's out of south-central Penn?
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC
I believe he means Hobby Fan Conversion:

http://www.jbwholesalers.com.au/reviews/hobbyfan/hf007.htm
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm betting the Brochures that are online are what they'd send you in the mail today. I look at them as a Start do do some conceptual drawings of your project before starting.......

...you're 'spot-on' matt, that's precisely my plan. That, combined hopefully with some help from some of the fine, learned folks here on Armorama should be a good start at getting 'knee-deep' in trouble!
If Todd wrote them in '97 as he said, I can only hope that the line drawings are still available and include new updates. (fingers crossed). I'll be asking them for line drawings of the other lines of vehicles they have as well including (of course) their HET or super HET line of vehicles.
I'll let you all know what I come up with!

Tread.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC
The brochures include the Line drawings..... Download them from thier site!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC
Howdy matt,

Many thx for the link sir! Not only did I find that Recovery conv. for the HEMTT, but I also quickly stumbled on the PE kit for my T2K '04 Faun Tank Transporter entry!! :-)

U da man!

Tread.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
Here's one of the photos I took from OshKosh's Brochure:

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 03:00 AM UTC
matt, is that the one you can open in Acrobat? If so, how did you enlarge the drawing? (this question from a 'technologically challenged' person).

Tread.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC
Yes....It's Adobe format....I opened the PDF... Got the image on my screen.... Hit Ctrl & Print screen Buttons @ the same time. Opened Paint & pasted it. Removed just the Line drawing... And put it in it's own drawing & saved as a Jpg..... It sounds harder than it is.....
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 03:37 AM UTC
Howdy matt,

O.K., this is what I heard...$#%%@*%&&*^^%$$#@&*%$#####$$$**(*&*&^^%#*)&$$# !!! #:-) #:-) #:-)

I have to got to work now, so I'll try some of those heiroglyphics later on!...........many thx tho' :-)

Tread out.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:53 PM UTC
here is a current ref...from the T2K campaign.

Still need to do some finish to it.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 02:05 AM UTC
Howdy Jacques!

As I said on the T2K thread, a superb example of 'Battlewagon'!!! Now, and I'm speaking as a current Blue Team cheerleader, all you really need to do to your Battlewagon to improve it is to simply change that star on the door from red...to White!!! :-) :-) :-)

Tread.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:13 AM UTC
Tread & Matt,
First off TY Matt for setting the rocrd straight.. Yes the Conv. is from Hobby Fan,
Tread : Yes I have done some reearch and homework, I already have started a file on HEMMT's and added this to the "WORKBENCH TO DO" list. I have already purchased (2) Eduard M977 PE sets and (2) ED M978 sets. Have pics that I have taken personally, pics from the web, and the OK site. The dwg's that came in the mail are more detailed then whats on the site. I also got the info on the HETT as a BONUS, Surprise Surprise.
HEY TREAD: Perhaps you could figure out a way for me to take all my photos that I have, and load them straight to this thread,(then all can enjoy). I dont know how to put them on a Host URL, so taking them from my disc to here would be 10x easier. I have plenty off STUFF for this idea, if only I could share. (PC TECH defficient)

PLEASE respond and lets kick this OFF w/ a
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:47 PM UTC
Howdy ROTOR,

Can't tell you how glad I am to hear you've got those drawings. I think they will be quite helpful to all who are interested in 'Battlewagons' in general, and HEMTT / HET's in particular!! As to my being any help regarding helping you get them posted here..........my apologies, but, I am probably more 'technologically challenged' than you. I have been wrestling with trying to figure out how to simply post a picture for quite awhile now.....I'm embarassed to tell you, I still haven't got it down. But! Hopefully there is another (sorry to sound like Star Wars there for a moment) who can help us all out with that!?!

This whole thread is intended to embrace and support the idea of building soft-skinned 'variants' and light AFV's of all types. The HEMTT is the prime example. As I stated before, the new Faun tank transporter is another. So is something like the Scammel. (Heck, can you imagine a WWII 'what-if' Scammel variant? ) It's just a 'playground' for different ideas, and hopefully we can generate the interest of some of the 'scratchbuilders' and 'kit-bashers' out there to help us along the way.......

Tread.

Heck.....to give you an idea of where my brains going with this, here's just a couple of ideas I've had for a wee while regarding 'Battlewagons' of a sort..........

Waterbourne: How about something along the lines of the German Anti-Aircraft barges. The ones that used to have a set of four (4) 88mm Flak 36/37's on them? Just upgrade and enlarge the barge platform, highly camo it, and place in the Florida State Inland Waterway, or along the shores of one of the Great Lakes, or in one of the "ten-thoudand lakes" in Minnesota just waiting to shoot some unsuspecting Hind or Hokum out of the sky!

Snowbourne: Imagine a modified (hull chopped and channeled, and tracks doubly-widened ) M113 'Sno-Devil' scouring the hills of Montana looking for Red vermin! Heck....shame noone makes a kit of the BV-206!!!!

RAILbourne: (I really like this one ) Use one of Dragon's flatbed rail cars and BANG!!! Your imagination runs WILD!!!!!!!! #:-) #:-) #:-)

............my apologies, I was being a bit 'rampant' there....
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:42 PM UTC
Tread,
HECK I LOVE your ideas. I especially like the SNOW BORNE idea. But wait ,,,,,,,hows this!!!! A SNOW CAT HEMMT. The HEMMT MK48 type articulated chassis, w/
SCAT tracks front and rear,(like say from an M1 w/ BIGFOOT AFV track pad kit) that have been lengthened to fit the chassis. This MASSIVE vehicle would be like the current swiss scat trac, cept on AN GRANDER SCALE. IM HAVING VISIONS excuse me back to the point.

I would like to build a complete PATRIOT system using the HEMMT , considering thats the vehicle that was actually used for the system. There would be the Launch vehicle, the RESUPPLY vehicle, the Tracking/Plotting Radar vehicle (big one if you've ever seen it) and LAST but not least,,,,,,,the Command center. All these were done on modified OSH KOSH HEMMT's. I WOULD DO all the laborious masters building if we could pool our heads and find a CASTING company to make the molds and resin kits.
HUH WHATYA say???? GOOD IDEA?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hey Rotor,

I really hate to do this...NIMIX of spain already make all the patriot kits you have mentioned.

They make the HEMTT tractor (which I have), the patriot launcher trailer, the radar trailer, and the "van" trailer.

Here is a link to the Red Lancers page with the kits:

http://www.redlancers.com/minilistout.asp?subcat=834&mfg=371&page=8
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:18 AM UTC
Howdy ROTOR,

Well....apparently you're filled with ideas as well, huh? Good to know we're all thinking hard, and keeping those 'juices' flowing!

As I mentioned in my first post, I am planning on building the PAC delivery system. That is the Patriot Battery System you're speaking of. I guess I'm talking about the launch HEMTT tractor and trailer. I really like the idea of the whole Patriot system, i.e; the ReSupply vehicle, the Tracking/Plotting Radar vehicle, and the C&C vehicle. I have got to say, it sounds like quite a big bite to me, but................I don't suppose you have pictures or line drawings of those...do you?

As to your "SNO-CAT HEMTT"...sounds very intriguing. So, are you suggesting retrofitting (installing) some type of tank track directly over the existing rubber tyre's at both ends of the vehicle? Hmmm, also interesting. Have to 'theorize' a wee bit on the feasibility of that one...does conjure up an interesting mental picture though, doesn't it?? :-)

And finally to your suggestion about building these up with the plan to create 'Masters' or schematics as we go................THIS idea has been hounding at the back of my mind for quite sometime, ever since I got the 411 on AEF Design's (it's a local company here).
So, to answer your question...let's take that topic off thread and to the PM...sound good?

Tread.

Oh, I also was able to find some pretty readable line drawings of some of the HEMTT line of vehicles on the combatindex.com website! When I get home from work I'm going to try to see if they have any line drawings or schematics of One: the trailer that goes behind the M983 HEMTT tractor, and also any of the Patriot system vehicles.......(fingers crossed).
 _GOTOTOP