_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Late VPK Piglet - N.Ireland - Op Banner 1990
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
Following on from my other OPERATION BANNER Themed builds I've produced another VPK Piglet, this time a late VPK (vehicle Protection Kit) circa 1990;

This is my 4th completed scratch converted model of a British Army vehicle used in Northern Ireland during THE TROUBLES.

Below are links to my other armorama builds;

British Army Saxon APC in Northern Ireland
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/152358&page=1

British Army Humber Pig in Northern Ireland
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/152987&page=1

British Army Landrover 109" Series III VPK (Early Piglet).
"A Rainy Day in Belfast".
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/211724&page=1

At present I am also hosting a build blog entitled "British Army Landrover Piglet in N.Ireland" (At title I picked before I realised I'd be producing a number of these vehicles)

This build blog link below is primarily the LAST variant of the piglet in service during the early 90's and is intended to be an RMP vehicle, a late variant "Factory Fitted" HVVPK (High Velocity Vehicle Protection Kit) with Makrolan armour and added protection.
This link is to a complete build guide for anyone interesting in producing their own landrover conversion or anyone just interested in the vehicle itself.
I intend the blog to cover the history of the "piglet" design and host a number of photo's which should act as a walkaround guide for anyone interested in the subject (which has very little documented information available on the net or even in paper format to the present day)
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/155903&page=1

GETTING BACK TO THIS BUILD. This particular Piglet here below was another quick build for me and is based on a vehicle I have documented and photographed as serving in Belfast as late as 1990 at least.
This Landrover is a LWB 109" Series III VPK (a Late VPK Model variant).

The build followed much the same pattern as my build blog but if anyone has any questions or comments feel free to post them.

Hopefully some of you might find the subject interesting.

barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 07:12 AM UTC
I like what you have done with this ,the thing that sticks out for me is the civi rear crossmember ..military ones are straight,having done several tours of ni during this period..
Terry
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 11:55 AM UTC
Cheers Terry,

Yep your very correct, it turns out quit a few VPK carried this, makes me wonder how many civi Landy's with added armour were procurerd by the BA during The Troubles..
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 10:25 PM UTC
Nice build Roy- the underside armor gives it a really squat look that is quite different to the more modern BA landies- its a good job they aren't using them now- they'd get stuck on all the lovely road ramps we now have everywhere!! I assume the base for this is the old Italeri kit you are using in the other thread? One question about the windshield bar armor- can that be pulled up into position while still inside the vehicle or does someone have to get out and pull it into place?
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 11:16 PM UTC
They can be pulled up from inside,they started with a metal cord but some of ours had bailer twine and all sorts.. Sorry to jump in Roy
Terry
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hey Karl, good to see you mate and thanks for the kudos once again!
Yep your correct, the kit is the old Italeri model, in this case the old Testors version for the US Market.
(it was a nightmare changing the cab from left hand drive to right hand drive BTW!)
Thankfully the recently released Italeri kit, being 99% the same as the older kit, has had improvements and additional detail added including then right hand drive dash

Terry, thanks for jumping in mate, it's always better to get the correct information from those in the know with the experience and not just the humble modeller.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the subject mate, feel free to jump in anytime on my threads
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 10:12 PM UTC
Thanks for the info on that Roy and Terry too, much appreciated!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 - 12:46 AM UTC
Looks great Roy. I dont know the specifics of these vehicles, but they certainly look the part. I also like the fact that you used a reddish surface for the road ... something that really stood out for me when in NI at this time, as apposed to our side of the border. We just had the 40 shades of grey.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2013 - 11:08 AM UTC
Cheers for the comments guys!
..Frank I actually based this vehicle on an interesting photo I found, I'll try dig the picture out over the weekend and post it here..
 _GOTOTOP