_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
UDR Shorland APC - Northern Ireland
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm back with another build blog.
I hope it appeals to some of you out there so if you have any comments or feel like sharing your thoughts, please jump in at any time!

But first in keeping with the theme of my build blogs here below are some links to my other models associated with "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland.

I post these links as I believe the subject is quite appealing to some modellers but has been overlooked by most plastic manufacturers in favour of more "mainstream" subjects.

For anyone interested in this subject I suggest and recommend Accuarate Armour for a number of excellent and detailed kits.
There is little research available to source and very few precise places on the net that will assist you with these subjects so I hope they may help anyone who might be considering building their own vehicles from Operation Banner and the Security Forces during the conflict in N.Ireland.

British Army Saxon Patrol in Northern Ireland (1990's)
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/152358&page=1

British Army Humber (Flying) Pig in Northern Ireland (1980's)
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/152987&page=1

British Army Landrover VPK
A Rainy Day in Belfast. (Early Claribel Radar VPK late 1970's).
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/211724&page=1

Late VPK Piglet - N.Ireland - Op Banner 1990
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/212733&page=1#1787261

Last of the Piglets (HVVPK RMP 1992/4)
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/155903&page=1

The Subject I'm going to cover this time is the venerable SHORLAND APC. In this case the MK.III used by the UDR (Ulster Defence Regiment).

As before with my build blogs I'll try to share my research and inform you of the history of this vehicle which even today is still in front line use in major conflicts, for instance in Syria.

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 12:26 PM UTC
Will be watching with interest Roy
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 12:32 PM UTC
The History of the Shorland Armoured Patrol Cars

(Information courtesy of the Shorland Website http://www.shorlandsite.com/index.htm )

The stimulus for the development the Shorland armoured car came in the early 1960's from the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) for the internal security duties and border patrols in Ulster.

The Shorland was based on a strengthened Land Rover chassis, and it's name is often stated to be derived from an amalgam of the two company names which were Shorts Brothers and Harland, both based in Belfast and are major commercial amd military producers since before the Second World War.

The first experimental armoured body was fitted to a long wheel base Series II Land Rover, bearing Belfast registration number 4471 AZ, signifying 1960-61. The sides of the vehicle had flat armour and later acquired a turret based on the turret of a Ferret scout car.

Consultation between the RUC and Rover brought further improvements including sloped armour on the upper part of the body.
The same vehicle in this second stage of development provided sloped armour around the lower part of the body, a flatter boot section which now housed the spare wheel, and an armoured partition separating the spare wheel and fuel tank from the crew compartment.
This third mark of the RUC prototype became the Shorland Mark I production vehicle.

The MK.I Shorland APC (Armoured Patrol Car) entered serive with the RUC in November 1966. Battleship grey seems to be the standard colour for many RUC vehicles, but the Shorlands were not painted grey. The basic colour of the completed vehicle was a satin finish emerald green..

In 1969 the Army moved into Ulster, the RUC were disarmed of Heavy Weapons and armoured vehicles. Most armoured cars were put into storage by January 1970.

In April 1970 The Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) was set up to provide an armed and military trained force to assist the Security Forces in N.Ireland.
The UDR was in essance an infantry regiment of the British Army.

After presentation to the Ministry of Defence, a Government White Paper confirmed the agreed aspects of the new force and its task as:

to support the regular forces in Northern Ireland in protecting the border and the state against armed attack and sabotage. It will fulfill this task by undertaking guard duties at key points and installations, by carrying out patrols and by establishing check points and road blocks when required to do so. In practice such tasks are most likely to prove necessary in rural areas. It is not the intention to employ the new forces on crowd control or riot duties in cities

The UDR, along with a new police reserve, replaced the Ulster Special Constabulary ("B-Specials").
THE UDR was the largest infantry regiment in the British Army, formed with seven battalions plus another four added within two years.

It consisted mostly of part-time volunteers until 1976 when a full-time cadre was added.
Recruiting from the local community at a time of intercommunal strife, it had at times during The Troubles a "colourful and dark" existance..

It is doubtful if any other unit of the British Army has ever come under the same sustained criticism as the UDR.

Uniquely in the British Army the regiment was on continuous active service throughout its 22 years of service. It was also the first infantry regiment of the British Army to fully incorporate women into its structure.

In 1992, the UDR was amalgamated with the Royal Irish Rangers to form the Royal Irish Regiment. In 2006, the regiment was retrospectively awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross, which entitled it to be known as The Ulster Defence Regiment CGC.

After the formation of the Ulster Defence Regiment on the 1st April 1970, the Ex-RUC Shorland APC's were repainted and entered service with the UDR.

Almost all the Ex-RUC Amoured Cars soldiered on for many years even when newer models entered service including the MK.II and Mk.III.

The bulk of Mark 3 Shorlands were on Series III Land Rovers using a 2625 cc 6 cylinder petrol engine developing 91 bhp at 4100 rpm.
The earlier marks of Shorland having been based on Series IIA Land Rovers had to have the headlights moved from the radiator area to the wings to comply with export lighting requirements.
Besides the export market, the armour protection was compromised by accommodating the headlights into the radiator area and no doubt also reduced the efficiency of radiator cooling. This migration of headlights to the wings always gave a rather homemade appearance.
However the early Mark 3 was still based on a Series IIA Land Rover, but as these were late Series IIA Land Rovers, they already had the headlights in the wings.
The bulk of Mark 3 Shorlands were on Series III Land Rovers using a 2,625 cc 6-cylinder petrol engine developing 91 bhp at 4,100 rpm. But the Mark 2 was still in production, customers who wanted Shorlands for particularly arduous terrain were offered the Mark III, The type of APC that I intend to build here.

Over 500 Mark 3 Shorlands have been sold both in the UK and to Export Customers. Shorts and Harland continued to develop the original Boat tail Shorland from an armoured patrol car with a crew of 3 to armoured personnel vehicle, capable of carrying two up front and six in the rear and a small number of these were used on the streets in Northern Ireland as late as 1998.

In 1996 the Short Brothers sold the complete Shorland design to British Aerospace Australia.

For more information on the many foreign cunstomer of the shorland please click here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorland_armoured_car

RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 12:52 PM UTC
I've been modelling now for nearly 30 years. If I had to guess I reckon I've built a thousand plus models since I was 5. I've built every imaginable form of kit, plastic, resin, vacuform etc..

Some subjects and model kits can be great fun and others turn out to be mundane and tiresome to finish.
However Every now and then a model is produced that can still take my breath away and this model is certainly one of them!!

ALX/35 is a small resin company based in Portugal.
They appear to focus primarilly on Portuguese Military equipment, Land Rover and Licence Built variants that are typical to the Portuguese armed forces.

http://cournil35.blogs.sapo.pt/

The SHORLAND APC MK.III kit such a vehicle which was in wide spread use by the Portuguese security forces.

When I first opened the box I was in awe at the casts.
I was litterally blown away by how good they were!
These are resin kits but some of the most beautiful casting I have ever seen. So clean and tidy in fact, I had to double check this was not injected plastic!

Not to sound like I am reviewing the kit, it's just one of those model kits that deserves a decent plug!
Most of the cutting and cleaning is done by ALX/35 so I won't have to worry about that.
Have a look at these shots and see for yourself.

I may need to alter a few things for an APC used in N.Ireland. But at first glance both vehicles seem to be exactly alike (At worst I will have to change the left hand drive console over to a right hand drive position, I'll look into this later)

The Model has a fully detailed interior and I intend to try show this off
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 - 01:00 PM UTC

A UDR Shorland APC takes up the rear opposite an early Land Rover VPK at a Rural VCP (Vehicle Check Point), in Armagh near the Border with the Republic of Ireland.

Two UDR Soldiers can be seen stopping a civilain Land Rover, a third soldier provides cover from a ditch in front of the "Piglet", sometime in the late 1970's.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 12:20 AM UTC
Roy- that is a fantastic history of the Shorland- with some great picture refs aswell. I always thought these were a very strange looking armored car but despite the odd look they have proved very popular all over the world. I too was surprised to see a few turn up in Syria recently! They have quite an interesting history in NI as you pointed out. In fact, tragically, the first child to be killed during the troubles, 9 year old Patrick Rooney, was struck down by a bullet fired from a Shorland's .30cal on August 14th, 1969 at Divis Tower in Belfast.

I must say that the resin kit looks particularly nice- very crisp mouldings- how much was it? I hope it goes together as good as it looks- then I might have to get one myself! Best of luck with the build Roy.

barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 05:59 AM UTC
Looking forward to your build mate as usual ,I've two of these kits in my stash after getting them from the guy who made them
Terry
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
Looks like a great kit. I love that photo with the three Landrover variants. Come on do the whole dio. You know you want to
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC
Your a gas man Pat! I was only looking at that photo today and saying ..Mmmmm I could do that pic in plastic!

Terry Thanks a million mate, glad to see you on board!
I can see why you have two of these, I'm already contemplating another purchase..
I reckon with a little work I could easilly produce an RUC MK.II or a Syrian Mk.4..

Karl, cheers for the kudos Pal, your very correct with your history lesson there, tragic but true..
As you mentioned RUC Shorlands were armed with 30 Cals originally, it was only when they transferred over to the UDR that they eventually changed to the GPMG..
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 10:51 AM UTC
I did a tour in Armagh in the early 70's but I don't recall seeing any of these vehicles. Very cool adaptation of the Land Rover though.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hey Roy.

Yet another interesting project on your bench. As usual, I'll be watching your progress. Good luck.

BTW, I won't be in Telford again this year; sigh. If you're going, have a great time.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 12:11 AM UTC
Steve thanks for popping in..

Pat, good to see you here Pal.

Thanks for the kind words, It's a shame I won't see you at Telford this year. I'm travelling with a few guys this weekend with the new car ..So no "hic-cups" this year I hope LOL
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a shame I won't see you at Telford this year. I'm travelling with a few guys this weekend with the new car ..So no "hic-cups" this year I hope LOL

Wow, I forgot about your car breaking down a couple years ago. That sure was "inconvienent".

Keep an eye out for Chuck Aleshire; he'll be there again this year. He's already in the UK doing some sightseeing with some of the London MAFVA crew.

Have a Pint for me at the bar!
 _GOTOTOP