Armor/AFV: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of armor/AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Landkreuzer P-1000 Ratte
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So you're going to sleep with it?

Uh...No. I would like to enter it in a show though. Don't know how to go about that...but I'm sure, some day I will figure it out.

Mike

If you do enter it in a show, I'm sure you'll get first prize in at least 2 or 3 categories!
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 06:17 AM UTC
The last bracing in before I close up the one side of the track housing:

Note also the turret. I am beyond frustrated with the dimensions. Nothing is lining up, nothing is looking right. It's too tall, or the length is wrong, or the side and front angles will be off. So, I'm going to start all over.

I'll pick ONE dimension (most likely the round turret base) and base my measurements off that. Yippee.

Both halves of the next track side laid out:

And, it's closed up!

Mike
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hey Mike,

Looking good so far. Maybe one of the guys over on the Shipbuilders site would have the info. on the turret for you.
Just a thought. But you knew that. LOL.

See ya in the funnies..........
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC
Basically what I did was crop the turret pic/diagram I had and put it into Excel. Reduced the columns and rows to 10 pixels each, put the border/lines on, and inserted the picture. Then I just stretched the pic both north and west until the turret base was at 53 cells wide. Each cell now equivalent to 1mm square. Finally just measured everything from there (Xmm x 200 / 35 = the length I need).

Mike

Edit. Not a lot of waste taking apart what I built. The former turret base will now be the roof and a couple of other parts. The uprights I put in will get recycled, reduced in height, and re-angled. It's a bit of a drag, but...isn't that part of scratch building? This is my first full on scratch, so I have to assume so.

BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hey Mike,

Well at least you caught it before you got it glued together. That would have been a BIG bummer.
Keep going bud.

See ya in the funnies...........
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 12:35 PM UTC
Relooked, reworked, remeasured, re...re...re the turret plans. The new base is now cut out. A bit longer, a bit wider, but I think it's much "righter."

Before I get to gluing, I'll make sure that the angles look "right" and the aesthetics look proper and match pictures and drawings I have. Yes, this is a What-If; I have a little wiggle room.

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 01:08 PM UTC
Worked on the turret a bit more. Recut the inner braces (lowered) and added some stock to the ends to fill it out. Marked the angles...and I must say, it's looking good.

I also glued on the two end caps for the one track housing. I'll probably modify/cut the bottom pieces tomorrow evening.

Now that one track side is formed, and the turret base is sized, I can start looking at the total width which will give me the center section's width...which will allow me to start playing with deck over the engine. Ohhh, the possibilities!!!

Figure I'm going to need some Tiger/KT and MAUS parts...

Mike
Tedwards252
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 01:18 AM UTC
I can't wait to see this thing when its finished.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 08:44 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to when it's done too Trevor. But, I'm going to enjoy, learn, cuss, et al along the way!

Mike

P.S. Keep watch, pictures coming soon!
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 08:10 AM UTC
Here's what it's looking like now:

I'm very pleased that there will be plenty enough room between the turret edge and the edge of the track housing for a walkway and rail. I'll need to build up the base of the turret which will take away some of that space, but should still be plenty for OFw. Eichner to move unhindered.

Just putting the turret base on it confirms this thing's size; BIG!

Mike
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 12:59 PM UTC
I commend you on doing this. I've been following this with more and more interest. Inspires me to someday soon start a build of my own with a MUCH smaller T49 GMC.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 - 03:03 AM UTC
A little more work on the turret:

And some on the bases for the MAUS turrets.

Mike
sassgrunt
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 08:19 PM UTC
PBS has a six-part series called "Nazi Mega Weapons" and on April 30th, they are going to show a new episode called "Super Tanks." A 30-second preview on their site shows a few animations of the Maus, and a real fast animated view of the Ratte. It probably won't tell you a thing that you don't already know, but it might be cool to see their simulation of one.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hey Mike,

Update? Teaser? LOL.

See ya in the funnies.............
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC
Hi Mike.... Now I see what you mean about concentrating on this build ... Damb that's big!! Looking good so far.

Eick
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 02:15 AM UTC
Been slooooow going this last week and a half. The room on the other side of my shop is moving right along.

Sheetrock: Done.
Mud/Tape: Done.
Texture: Done.
Ceiling paint: Done.
Wall paint: Today.
Carpet: Next weekend.
Trim: Weekend after carpet.

Master bedroom -
Ceiling paint: Today.
Wall paint: Soon.
Carpet: Next weekend.
Trim: Weekend after carpet.

P1000 Ratte -
Working on the turret's "covering" (sides, tops, front, back [the back is going to be...interesting]).

I received 3 more sheets of the 1/8th inch stock, so I can now get ready to build the other track hull. The sides are marked-just need to cut them out.

And, thank goodness...I have the order in for the last of the 1/16th KT road wheels (74 of them!!). That has been a difficult road.

I've got the second MAUS coming (whew), so all I need "kit-wise" is the fourth Verlinden Kugelblitz turret. (There's one on eBay, but the guy wants $32. Not spending that considering the other three cost $15.00 or less) Then, pretty much all the already made kit stuff will be procured. Sans some odds and ends?

I probably need to start thinking of selling a few more models. The beastie is kind of costly (but I'm lovin' it!).

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:29 AM UTC
Taking a break from painting the bedroom.

Would this stuff make an appropriate base for the Ratte once done?

miniNatur Silflor Static Savannah Grass Mat

Specifically the one in the listing. Or, would something else be better? I know it's costly, but....

Mike
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 07:43 AM UTC
can that mat be cut square? seems at 1000 tons the Ratt will leave some deep tracks.
What would you use for camo--complete trees strapped to the sides?-lol
Although that might look really cool . . . a dio with troops using a crane to lift the trees in place
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC
This is what I want next to the Ratte:

I'd replace the barrels, that's for sure...but...this is too cool.

I love this thing!!

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

can that mat be cut square? seems at 1000 tons the Ratt will leave some deep tracks.

The mat can be cut pretty much anyway you want. And realizing the weight of this thing, I'd start with a plaster base-let it get semi-dry, and then take some spare tracks (a jig, if you will) and imprint that into the plaster. That followed up with the mat and proper chewed up dirt effects.

I still haven't decided on the camo this will have. Panzer gray is out. Thinking one of the late war sets of paint. Tri-color. Heh, Octopus it.

A consideration: This will have a Battleship turret, two MAUS turrets, four Kugelblitz turrets, and other weapons systems. I would assume that they would take "good" parts from damaged vehicles/new built parts...so...multiple different paint schemes would work. Painting options are 1) way off, 2) wide open for some fun.

Mike
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 09:00 AM UTC
Contemplating the DUST Heinrich, and the need for the main turret to have it's ammo loaded onboard, I've now got the perfect place for that all to happen. IF...I can get the width and height of the Heinrich. Which, if it's "right," this will lead to some interior work needing to be done. That could really set this build up a level or six. Ammo loading bay/Heinrich bay. Mmmmmmm....may need some serious scratch builder insight into this. If...when.

Mike

p.s. Messaged Dust for the measurements. Fingers crossed.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hey Mike,

Good to hear the "Man Cave" is finally getting completed.
Looking forward to seeing what else is getting done with the Ratte.

See ya in the funnies........
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Contemplating the DUST Heinrich, and the need for the main turret to have it's ammo loaded onboard, I've now got the perfect place for that all to happen. IF...I can get the width and height of the Heinrich. Which, if it's "right," this will lead to some interior work needing to be done. That could really set this build up a level or six. Ammo loading bay/Heinrich bay. Mmmmmmm....may need some serious scratch builder insight into this. If...when.

Mike

p.s. Messaged Dust for the measurements. Fingers crossed.

Now that would be seriously cool. A nice bay with at least two of them, service area would look stunning and a bit of a surprise.

Paul
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:11 PM UTC
DUST sent me the measurements of the Heinrich. I think I'll only do one (they're expensive).

I'm looking at two spots I could put the functioning bay; at the front glacis or on one side, above the tracks...between the engines and main turret. I lean towards the side(s)and that way I can have one open bay and the other side being closed up (all you'd see is the armored door/ramp).

I still need to put the other track housing together, so I will incorporate a compartment that this bay could slide into.

I believe that the loading area for the main's rounds and powder would then be situated in the glacis - a clam-shell type door system where the upper and lower glacis meet.

Mike
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:04 AM UTC
Mike, your right they are a bit expensive, but they do look good. The side hatch is a great way of adding a little detail to what would be a pretty dull area.

Paul