Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DML M103A1 - disappointment
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 05:33 AM UTC
Mine arrived today (all hail Towers Hobbies and their stupid-fast shipping to Canada!) and yeah, the basic shapes of the turret and hull are a hot mess.

I dug out my scratchbuilt turret from 20 years ago and, while there are a couple of small issues with it, all the details are in the right places and are the right sizes. Definitely using this instead of the kit unit, for sure. I even made the mantlet cover, so that's done as well. I'll post photos of both soon.

My barrel is the right length, but it could use a few more details so I'll tart that up befire using it.

The hull. Well, I'm still undecided as to whether I'll chop the hull like Pavel is doing or use my own hull, which does have some inaccuracies in the shape of the suspension mounts and the location of the drive sprocket axles. My hull shape is pretty good and the location of the turret is much better. Since I want to do an A2, a chop was coming anyway, just going to see what is the lesser amount of overall work.

Paul
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC
Paul,

Any chance of casting your turret and hull (minus suspension parts) once you have them sorted? Bet there could be a market for it...
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 08:32 AM UTC
Mmmmmm, could be... :-)
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In a strange kinda way, It's good that Dragon made such a dogs dinner of this kit, because now we get to see Pawel cutting it into a hundred pieces and then putting it back together, which is huge fun and makes for a very interesting build log.

It's good fun to watch this Pawel, I'm looking forward to more epic kit reconstruction.

Instead of cutting it to hundreds of pieces, maybe it would be easier to simply melt it down and cast it into the right shape with a new mold?

Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In a strange kinda way, It's good that Dragon made such a dogs dinner of this kit, because now we get to see Pawel cutting it into a hundred pieces and then putting it back together, which is huge fun and makes for a very interesting build log.

It's good fun to watch this Pawel, I'm looking forward to more epic kit reconstruction.

Instead of cutting it to hundreds of pieces, maybe it would be easier to simply melt it down and cast it into the right shape with a new mold?

A valid point yes

I tend to agree very much with what Carlo Bellandi said back on page 4, I think it would of been just as easy to get this right, as it was to get it so badly wrong.

The manufactures have pushed the bar up so high now, (in terms of accuracy), that when they don't jump the bar it all ends in bad publicity and a horrible mess.

But it's damn good fun, because it results in interesting build logs such as this, a positive will always flow from every negative.

tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 02:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I tend to agree very much with what Carlo Bellandi said back on page 4, I think it would of been just as easy to get this right, as it was to get it so badly wrong.

I totally agree. A company is spending several hundred thousand bucks for a new model project. Yes, you can save a couple bucks by shorting the research and tooling, but if your project bombs because it's both expensive (limiting the market to the cognoscenti) and poorly executed (so those same cognoscenti don't buy it) how wise was that saving?

Academy is the king of this business practice, but Dragon occcassionally drops the ball badly as well. This is about as bad as I've ever seen Dragon botch a kit, though.

Paul
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gun barrel, rear of bore evacuator to front of collar: 13' 7/8"

13' 7/8" = 3985 mm => 114mm in 1/35 scale

And the kit barrel length from the rear of bore evacuator to front of the collar is 100.4mm... So we are 13.6mm short in this part of the barrel. And my comparison with dimensions provided by Hunnicutt suggests that another 6mm is lost in the bore evacuator/muzzle area...

I'm glad you're putting the measurements to good use. Some of the errors are almost understandable - trying to skimp and use as much M48A3 tooling as possible. But barrel length error of over 10% is not just a small thing, What did they do - find the only example anywhere in the country with its gun out of battery?

Untill someone comes out with a metal barrel couldnt you just splice some evergreen into it to bring it up to the accurate lenght?
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:45 PM UTC
Not really. The dragon model seem to be an accurate representation of the actual German kpz70 displayed in the panzer museum at Munster.[/quote]

The prototype in Koblenz seems to have the 152mm gun ... at least that is what the description at the display tank reads.
So we probably have a mix of the KPZ 70 from Munster and Koblenz ... Munster one sporting the 120mmm gun I believe ... the hull in Koblenz differs from the CAD drawings.

Cheers
Christopher
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Until someone comes out with a metal barrel couldnt you just splice some evergreen into it to bring it up to the accurate lenght?

Yes, indeed. You may have to turn down a length of rod to the correct diameter, but fundamentally, splicing in two sections would do the job.

Paul
Kharkov
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I totally agree. A company is spending several hundred thousand bucks for a new model project. Yes, you can save a couple bucks by shorting the research and tooling, but if your project bombs because it's both expensive (limiting the market to the cognoscenti) and poorly executed (so those same cognoscenti don't buy it) how wise was that saving?

Academy is the king of this business practice, but Dragon occcassionally drops the ball badly as well. This is about as bad as I've ever seen Dragon botch a kit, though.

Paul

Exactly, how wise was that saving, especially when we consider that Dragon were launching a new label with this kit, 'Black Label',..sounds like a beer to me tbh.

What is funny though, is that even after a major manufacturer has had a go at this, you are still one of the few people with an accurate M103, which leads to a score (at half time) very much like this -

Scratch Builders 1 - Manufacturers 0

tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

you are still one of the few people with an accurate M103

Wellll, not a whole one, just bits.

:)

Paul
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 05:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The prototype in Koblenz seems to have the 152mm gun ... at least that is what the description at the display tank reads.
So we probably have a mix of the KPZ 70 from Munster and Koblenz ... Munster one sporting the 120mmm gun I believe ... the hull in Koblenz differs from the CAD drawings.

Cheers
Christopher

No, the Munster one has 152mm missile gun as well according to the plaque.

Look carefully at the photos of the 152mm missile guns on the surviving mbt a70 prototypes that don't appear to have bore evacuators, they are meant to have evacuators, as shown by bands around the barrel where the evacuators would go. The evacuators were clearly removed. That 152mm missile gun is meant to have a barrel evacuator is also shown in US army illustrations and promotional literatures.

Incidentally, I believe early the german 120mm rheinmetal gun prototypes the were built when kpz-70 program was still alive really didn't have bore excavators. You can see this was still the case with early leopard 2 prototypes with sloped side turrets around 1973. The first 120mm gun with bore evacuator seem to have been installed only around 1974 or later.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:12 PM UTC

No, the Munster one has 152mm missile gun as well according to the plaque.

Look carefully at the photos of the 152mm missile guns on the surviving mbt a70 prototypes that don't appear to have bore evacuators, they are meant to have evacuators, as shown by bands around the barrel where the evacuators would go. The evacuators were clearly removed. That 152mm missile gun is meant to have a barrel evacuator is also shown in US army illustrations and promotional literatures.

Incidentally, I believe early the german 120mm rheinmetal gun prototypes the were built when kpz-70 program was still alive really didn't have bore excavators. You can see this was still the case with early leopard 2 prototypes with sloped side turrets around 1973. The first 120mm gun with bore evacuator seem to have been installed only around 1974 or later. [/quote]

Well here is the one in Koblenz ... what ever it is:

Cheers
Christopher
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:58 PM UTC
Hunnicutt "Abrams" pg. 125 mentions that the XM150 gun didn't need a bore evacuator with the installation of a breech scavenging system in prototype #2. As for the differences with the Munster and Koblenz vehicles, the one with the XM150 is a MBT-70, which the one with the 120mm gun is the Kpz. 70. If the Koblenz one has the different rear hull and the XM150, it is a MBT-70.

Jon
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hunnicutt "Abrams" pg. 125 mentions that the XM150 gun didn't need a bore evacuator with the installation of a breech scavenging system in prototype #2. As for the differences with the Munster and Koblenz vehicles, the one with the XM150 is a MBT-70, which the one with the 120mm gun is the Kpz. 70. If the Koblenz one has the different rear hull and the XM150, it is a MBT-70.

Jon

Hey Jon

Here are some rear hull features of the Koblenz tank ... some can be identified on the DLM CAD drawings:

Maybe you can make more of this.

Cheers
Christoher
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:22 PM UTC
Hello,

I just want to refer to the example of LionRoar/Great Wall Hobby and their F-15 kit were some mistakes were found at the first produced kits. In my eyes an very nice exemplary of how to deal with errors:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/gwhf15announcementbg_1.htm

cheers
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 12:29 AM UTC
Chris,

The round intake covers on the rear deck identify this s a Kpz.70. These are unique to the Kpz.70. The MBT70 has a rear deck that looks like this:

In digging around some of the stuff I have, the Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster vehicle is an MBT70. The Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung Koblenz vehicle is the only Kpz.70, which would mean it has the 120mm gun.

Jon
chnoone
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:18 AM UTC
There you go ... thanks Jon !

Cheers
Christopher
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jon

The one in Munster has the round air intakes on the engine deck, German style single round headlights with small blackout lamp on top instead of American style twin head lamps, and the plaque says it has 152mm shillelagh firing gun.

I think the evidence indicates the Munster vehicle was a German prototype, as such it is a kpz70, and it has the XM-150.

Photos of the Munster and koblenz vehicles on the web seem to show they have identical guns. This suggests koblenz vehicle, whatever it is, also had the Xm-150.

I've seen the German website which claims the koblenz vehicle has the 120mm gun, but I've seen that corroborated nowhere else.

I've seen a lot of discussion on forums dedicated to the world of tanks game that claim all German kpz70 was to have 120L44 gun. But more serious sites seem to agree the German planned to procure kpz70 with Xm-150, while keeping open the option of also developing a 120mm version to deal with threats under 2000m.

So I think there is nothing wrong with dragon releasing a model of the kpz-70 with XM-150 shillelagh firing gun.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 02:55 AM UTC
Pawel, any updates on your build?
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pawel, any updates on your build?

Sorry, didn't have time for it this week... Maybe I'll find some tomorrow.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Chris,

In digging around some of the stuff I have, the Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster vehicle is an MBT70. The Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung Koblenz vehicle is the only Kpz.70, which would mean it has the 120mm gun.

Jon

That's not the case. I've seen the vehicle in person and it is a KPz-70 with the XM-150 and German features. The 120mm was only tested on a couple KPz-70's for use on the Keiler. I don't think any still exist. KPz and MBT mean the same thing and are used to differentiate the US and German versions.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
Huh, I thought this was an M103 thread...

Turns out I have pics of the M103 (A2?) that's in Bovington that I don't even remember taking - didn't interest me at the time. Now I wish I had taken a lot more!

Jim

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC
My above post was a subtle way of steering it back on track. Perhaps too subtle...
Kharkov
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My above post was a subtle way of steering it back on track. Perhaps too subtle...

It's the internet, subtlety very rarely works...