Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What the Flak? Official Campaign
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:04 AM UTC
Some progress done on the three lil piglets er LAVs

GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 08:55 AM UTC
I just started the Panda 2S6M Tunguska. Plus I've got two or three other AAA or SAM kits! Can I get in on this action??
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 - 09:33 AM UTC
You're welcome to if you think you can wrap up by the end of the month. Do you have any photos of the kit before you started work?

You can enlist here

roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 11:58 PM UTC
Guys, here is the 2K12 Kub in all it's glory (cough, cough)... I'm finally over the build stage and hopefully, the painting stage will not be as frustrating as the build one!

I'm planning on making a Czech version, circa 2009. I found some interesting pictures of them with the upper hull and side of the missile turret in the new, 3 color camo, while the lower hull and interior of the missile turret in the old, all-green paint.

She is now ready for primer...

Cheers and take care... while I rush to finish this one for the end of the month...

Chris
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 03:23 AM UTC
Looking good, Christian. I assume that since you left the umbilicals hanging free you plan to paint the missiles off the rails, which is a good call. You might consider replacing the kit umbilicals with ones formed of wire or solder. The rubber tube provided in the kit is pretty much impossible to get to conform to the proper shape.

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 01:48 PM UTC
Very nice and clean build so far, Christian! I really like the looks of this kit so I might just build one myself

By the way, any plans for a What the Flak II? I saw so many nice kits in this thread that I'd definitely build at least one more one myself.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way, any plans for a What the Flak II? I saw so many nice kits in this thread that I'd definitely build at least one more one myself.

I've put a little thought into the idea, but haven't done any serious planning. I have thought about maybe calling it "Flak You Two" but maybe better not

Anyway probably have to start after June, I think. What do you think?

nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 04:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've put a little thought into the idea, but haven't done any serious planning. I have thought about maybe calling it "Flak You Two" but maybe better not

Why not? I´d be in... maybe I could build the project I planed in the beginning?
I wanted to contribute at least somethning, so I´m in with Italeris 3,7cm Flak. It is to my surprise not even a bad kit, shure some sinkmakarks and the shields are way too thick....anyway, never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Construction began slowly...

(no idea why teses pics are the wrong way round...)

but somehow suddenly there was paint on:

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll leave the naming to you! You did a good job last time!

I think June would be fine with a duration of maybe 6-12 months. I personally hate to wait one year for the badge

@Fabian: That escalated quickly! Looks good so far. Did it had many things (sink marks, etc) to correct?
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hello all,
I just finished Flakpanzer 38 of Tristar. Here are the pics.

Paweł
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 01:42 AM UTC
Fabian: Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing how that turns out. Sometimes the old, cheap kits are the most fun.

Pawel: Fantastic Flakpanzer! You always turn out first rate work!

nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 04:24 AM UTC
First: Fantastic build Pawel, a real beauty.

Quoted Text

@Fabian: That escalated quickly! Looks good so far. Did it had many things (sink marks, etc) to correct?

Well, the outside of the shields does suffer from some sink marks (about 10 or so), those are caused by the hinges on the inner side. I haven´t quite managed to hide all of them perfectly.... Apart from that there is not much what really should be fixed, you can basicially bash the build through in a couple of hours. But if you really want one, take the Trupeter Great Wall instead.

Quoted Text

Fabian: Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing how that turns out. Sometimes the old, cheap kits are the most fun.

I agree on cheap, as i got it for free as a part of a deal I scored in my early years in big scale... Judging by the cover it could easily be a kit from th late 70ties. But release was 1998, which makes it even younger than the Tamiya Cromwell... guess I´m getting old...

Done a bit steaking, will move on with a oil wash.

Now if I only could find the barrel agin...
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now if I only could find the barrel agin...

A kit that old, you might be better off with an aftermarket barrel anyway...

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 10:00 AM UTC
Pawel: Excellent work, as always! You just got to love the blending of the camo colors with the base yellow!

May I ask what have you been using for the engine grease? Speaking of which, the engine details and painting are just as awesome!

Fabian: Coming along very nicely! Congrats on the fast build
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hello All,
Many thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you like it.
@ Cristian, engine grease its wash made of oil paint with whitespirit, but I forgot that this is Humbrol silver color and a little dissolved. Secured it with matte varnish and corrected wash and then painted silver what is dissolved.

In my opinion cheap models provide ample room to maneuver, and some can do something really cool. I personally draw a lot of fun with improving the various elements, I really like an old Italeri kits like the one who builds Fabian. Good job Fabian.

Pawel
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 07:22 PM UTC
@Mark: Yes, I try to leave as much as possible off the kit for painting, makes it easier. Thank you for the tip on the wire, I'll most likely follow your advice. I do have some soldering wire that I would be able to use and it will probably be easy to bend as well.

I did some more work on it over the weekend by priming it and doing some pre-shading as well. Not very familiar with this technique, so hopefully, it'll will turn out of! :-)

I am seeing some very nice build so far! Keep up the good work guys...

Cheers,

Christian

Quoted Text

Looking good, Christian. I assume that since you left the umbilicals hanging free you plan to paint the missiles off the rails, which is a good call. You might consider replacing the kit umbilicals with ones formed of wire or solder. The rubber tube provided in the kit is pretty much impossible to get to conform to the proper shape.

Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:10 AM UTC
Pawel, great build! I'll be saving all the pictures for reference material!
Some progress on my build. Basic construction done. next up is painting.

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 01:34 PM UTC
I hadn't completlforgotten about this campaign....it was just the thoughts of the 80ish decals for the SAM-2 that were putting me off. I had read mixed reviews about the decals but I have to say I found them a joy to work with. I only managed to break 1 and put another on backto-front which is good for me. A prixe if you can spot either of those two
Just a satin spray tonight, put the two halves together and mount on the launcher and then I'm done....
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 07:13 PM UTC
Looking GOOD, Guy!

This one sits on my pile and continually calls me to do it... a very interesting subject, by me! We haven't seen many done and posted, so you are leading the possible / potential Wirbel-Prototype pack!

There is a common issue with all of these 1/35 2cm FlaK 38 - based kits by the Dragon... The muzzle-brakes always look rather thick and clunky, to me. Barring replacing those styrene barrels with metal items (my one nod to the AM market for most kits...), they do look a lot better if you drill out the muzzle a little to get a much thinner wall to that brake.

So... now that the building is well-along... what's the painting plan?

Bob
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 03:54 AM UTC
Well, Sean, I don't know what a prixe is, but since you threw down the challenge:

The red lettering about midway up the second stage (in your photo it is directly below where it says "For the North Vietnamese SA-2 and soviet version" on the instructions in the background) is both backwards and too far forward. Should be back closer to the inter-stage, aft of the second stage guidance fins.

Still a great-looking build!

Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking GOOD, Guy!

This one sits on my pile and continually calls me to do it... a very interesting subject, by me! We haven't seen many done and posted, so you are leading the possible / potential Wirbel-Prototype pack!

There is a common issue with all of these 1/35 2cm FlaK 38 - based kits by the Dragon... The muzzle-brakes always look rather thick and clunky, to me. Barring replacing those styrene barrels with metal items (my one nod to the AM market for most kits...), they do look a lot better if you drill out the muzzle a little to get a much thinner wall to that brake.

So... now that the building is well-along... what's the painting plan?

Bob

Bob, great point on the barrel. I'll try to thin out the muzzle break. The vast majority of my stash, including AM stuff, is in storage in the U.S. while I pull this 2 year tour working in Mexico City. So far no hobby shops here, and mail order is very problematic. The good news is I can probably replace the barrel down the road.

Thinking about a three color scheme on the hull and an oxide red turret. What do you think?
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 12:51 PM UTC
Great build, Pawel. Fantastic details and great finish.

Thanks for sharing
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, Sean, I don't know what a prixe is, but since you threw down the challenge:

The red lettering about midway up the second stage (in your photo it is directly below where it says "For the North Vietnamese SA-2 and soviet version" on the instructions in the background) is both backwards and too far forward. Should be back closer to the inter-stage, aft of the second stage guidance fins.

Still a great-looking build!

Thanks Mark, and it was meant to be "prize"! LOL
That one may be backward but the position is correct, at least according to the instructions. It's No 17, on the other side, as seen in the instructions just below.
macotra4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 09:48 AM UTC
so thats where i stand at this point:

now color modulation and i do have a hope that i will finish in time...
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 09:02 PM UTC

Great kit Tom, I built it just for the campaign. It's really nice just needs a little work. Good luck.

Pawel