Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What the Flak? Official Campaign
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2015 - 10:28 AM UTC
I just found out that thd Wiesel is not air dropable, the torsion bars are not up to it

So I'll put away the parts and start again with a LAV-AD. Should be a speedy build, the Trumpeter LAV I build so far where very well designed little beasts.

Actually fits in nicely since I will do a LAV-M for the Railgun/Howitzer Campaign and a LAV-25 for the 8Wheels one. So I'll set up a production line
mmeier
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2015 - 11:46 AM UTC
Normally I hate my stress related sleeping disorder. But on days like this it can be useful. Eight straight hours of work got me from "closed box" to "half finished" on the LAV-AD:

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2015 - 12:08 PM UTC
Looks really cool, so far!
macotra4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:37 AM UTC
And that is mine contribution to the campaign.

I am going to use the Vallejo AFV Painting system:

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 04:48 AM UTC
Appears to be a pretty old kit there, Tom; had it in the stash for a while? Looks like a really cool subject.

macotra4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 06:43 AM UTC
I have it in my stash for few yrs already. I did build Italeri Demag with Pak38, which is same kit except the gun. It is an older kit, so there is plenty of shortcuts, but finished it will look good. I am going to use Vallejo set for German panzer grey, to see how those ready to use modulation kits work in life. I hope that i am going to be able to finish in time. As always, and i guess as many of us, i struggle to find enough time for the hobby. But i will do my best
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:01 AM UTC
I did some Italeri kits as a kid and never thought they were very good. Of course, I was comparing them to Tamiya kits, so they probably didn't get a fair shake. Haven't tried any Italeri recently so I really don't know what their quality is like now. I'll be looking forward to hearing your review of the paint set. I might try it out if I can find it at one of the local stores.

macotra4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:28 AM UTC
you are right about the quality of some of Italeri kits, but just to remember then some of then are old. Something i like about them (also about Tamiya kits) is that they are not overdone like new kits from e.g. Dragon. When i see a kit with more then 1k pcs (i am over exaggerating)... it is a killer for me. But at the end those older kits looks pretty good on the shelf, and that's whats matters to me
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 08:13 PM UTC
A great choice, Tom!

I had rather good experience with the Italeri helicopter kits but these were also newer ones.

In the end, I would say 80% of the effect a built kit makes on the viewer is based on the paint and weathering so I'm not a huge fan of over-detailing either

Looking forward to see more of your build!

Cheers,
Cristian
mmeier
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 09:01 PM UTC
Italerie kits are a mixed bunch. Some are quite good (M47), some need minor work (Leo1A5) and others are way past their prime.
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 02:51 AM UTC
I built the last two sets writes about Tom, and I'm happy with them. The fact is that you need to not put a lot of work but I think it is worth, otherwise I think this sets the best learn to build models.

Paweł
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Late comer to the party! I forgot to take pictures of this one before starting it (which I started last night!). Hopefully, I'll be forgiven and allowed to enter this campaign... If not than I'll just concentrate on something else!

I got this Trumpeter SA-6 Gainful in my stash since it was released and decided it was time to get her done, thanks to this campaign!

Here are a few pictures taken this morning (almost the first thing I did!).

photo SA-6Gainful-002_zps142f249e.jpg

photo SA-6Gainful-003_zpsf5708ad4.jpg

photo SA-6Gainful-004_zps1ce29a9f.jpg

As some of you know, the lower hull is not right and I intend on modifying it to correct it, hence the reason why no work has been done on it so far.

photo SA-6Gainful-005_zpsadcc8da6.jpg

Cheers,

Christian
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 06:55 AM UTC
That's a great kit, Christian. Loads of fun. You may want to look into some of the aftermarket missiles available since the Trump missiles are, for some reason, WAY to long and thin; it's pretty noticeable when the whole thing is done. I wasn't aware of any AM missiles out there when I built mine, so it's got the OOB missiles on it, but have been thinking about retro-fitting with new missiles if I can ever crawl out from under all these campaigns I'm in.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a great kit, Christian. Loads of fun. You may want to look into some of the aftermarket missiles available since the Trump missiles are, for some reason, WAY to long and thin; it's pretty noticeable when the whole thing is done. I wasn't aware of any AM missiles out there when I built mine, so it's got the OOB missiles on it, but have been thinking about retro-fitting with new missiles if I can ever crawl out from under all these campaigns I'm in.

SP Designs and HAD from Hungary both do replacement missiles. My first build got stalled when the kit was damaged in a move, but at US$ 17, a second was no real tragedy. HAve fun, it's a neat little kit.

Pics of my Ostwind progress up to tonight.

The interior is pretty basic, but it's also about 85% invisible after the upper hull is on, so no big deal.

Starting the gun, before pic.
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 08:52 PM UTC

Hi friends,

I received the kit few weeks ago, but now I can start !

It is the Italeri Sd.Kfz.10/5 Demag D7 with Flak 38:

It is a great set, IMO. Very detailed, a lot of parts.
I start immediately and in few hours I can see the baby growing up:

The construction is quite easy and smooth. No need adjustment and no gaps to be filled

Next step is the painting workshop for primer. Hope to have time during next weekend.

Cheers

Giovanni
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hello,

I continued work on the GMC Bofors gun by adding a layer of Revell 01 clear gloss and some oil washes with Burnt Sienna which I think goes better with the green than the black oil.

On the gun specifically, I went for a combination of metallic and rusty chipping since this was probably one of the most used parts along with the cabin so fresh paint chips are more often.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Cristian
Scoutmaster
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 02:23 PM UTC
Here is my contribution to this GB: Maco's 1/72 Flakpanzer III Ostwind:

I wasn't able to post it much earlier due to the holidays and other commitments.

Progress On the build so far...Got the kit's 37mm Flak Gun assembled:

Will be posting more pixs of my build in the days to come...
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 05:21 PM UTC
Astounding, Christian! What did you use for the metallic chipping?

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 07:25 PM UTC
Thanks Mark! The metallic chipping was done with Revell 90 Aluminum using the sponge technique. The rust color is Revell 84 Leather Brown. All has then been blended using a Burnt Sienna oil filter (oil paint + lighter fuel).

I decided to paint the bumper stripes instead of using the decals as this seemed to be the more stable solution. After painting the sections white, I applied again some rust color with the sponge technique and a Burnt Sienna oil filter to the complete bumper to blend the colors and the freshly applied decal (French flag):

This is the first time I'm trying to replicate fuel spill on engines. For this I was using a 50-50 mix of Revell 09 Anthracite and Revell 01 Clear Gloss, thinned down to a transparent consistency and applied sparingly. The Clear Gloss gives it that typical shiny look while the thinned consistency keeps it transparent:

Last but not least, I have corrected the steering wheel and gear colors to be a slightly shiny black. Thanks again to Mark for pointing that out!

Comments and constructive feedback is be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking!
Cristian
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2015 - 07:29 PM UTC
That's going to be a nice and tedious build, for sure! My eyes are hurting by just looking at that gun's size
roteck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hey guys,

Here is an update on the Gainful. I can't say I am impressed by this kit. The fit in some places is just horrible... Ggood thing I have newer kits in my stash to make me forget about this one!

The lower hull was extended by about 6mm, the missiles are complete and the turret/launcher assembly is going well.

The skinny missiles:

Cheers,

Christian
frank153
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 01:21 AM UTC
Well, I'm late to the party, but here's what I want to build.
hope I get it done in time!

It is Great Wall Hobbies German sWS Flakveirling and I would post a picture here but after 3hrs and post a forum for help, I have only gotten as far a having it in my gallery. If you want to see go there.
I give up!

Frank

frank153
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 07:12 AM UTC
alright, I am a patient man, so I'll try again. This is what I want to build. It looks like a nice kit and I have the GWH potoetch kit that goes with. I hope my picture posts!
Thanks, Frank
frank153
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 07:13 AM UTC
YEAH!!!
jmsbd07
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 08:30 AM UTC
Well, I think this is the finished model, though I may add mud to the tires on the carriage.
1/35 Flak 38 quad mount by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr