Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
What the Flak? Official Campaign
PrickleHead
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC
I am starting my Mobelwagen today:

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC
Very ambitious, Graeme. I'm digging it!

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 04:18 PM UTC
Completed the gun mount for my Moebelwagen so I can move onto the chassis, etc.

Since the vehicle mounting the quad 20mm was only a prototype I don't want this to look too heavily beat up (except the magazines, which would have probably been around the block a few times), but I do want the gun mount to have a slightly different color from the chassis like it was pulled off the production line and put on a vehicle that has been freshly painted after coming back from the front for repair and refit.

After all was said and done I discovered yet more ejector pin holes that I thought would be hidden in the finished product. Apart from those, if you see anything I've overlooked that needs fixing let me know!

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 06:09 PM UTC
Looks great Mark!
Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 08:20 PM UTC
Very Cool Mark...
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 09:18 PM UTC
Good-lookin' Quad, Mark!

Couple little things which may boost it a bit more:

Maybe drill through those 3 "holes" in each seat? - these seat-pans were sheet-metal stampings and those holes were drains, I think, to avoid water-pooling, like on metal tractor-seats.

Your duck-boards look good - maybe add some very thinned black in between the raised wood slats to gain more shadow? The slats were set into a raised frame over a metal pan... there may have been some drain-holes in t hat pan, albeit you probably would not see them when the boards are down, as you have them.

Maybe "de-wear" your mags a little! These mags came in several colors, and there were "zillions" of them made, so probably the prototype did not need to see any really worn field relics!

Whenever you get to your hull... there are a very few images around of that prototype - looks to me like the hull was fully painted in "new dunkelgelb" for the trials and presentation - as was the gun-mount (which I bet was actually simply an available used flakvierling and not a new-production piece!) - it all looks pretty fresh and clean in the pics!

Way to GO (Geaux), Mark!

Bob
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good-lookin' Quad, Mark!

Maybe drill through those 3 "holes" in each seat? - these seat-pans were sheet-metal stampings and those holes were drains, I think, to avoid water-pooling, like on metal tractor-seats.

Your duck-boards look good - maybe add some very thinned black in between the raised wood slats to gain more shadow? The slats were set into a raised frame over a metal pan... there may have been some drain-holes in t hat pan, albeit you probably would not see them when the boards are down, as you have them.

Maybe "de-wear" your mags a little! These mags came in several colors, and there were "zillions" of them made, so probably the prototype did not need to see any really worn field relics!

Whenever you get to your hull... there are a very few images around of that prototype - looks to me like the hull was fully painted in "new dunkelgelb" for the trials and presentation - as was the gun-mount (which I bet was actually simply an available used flakvierling and not a new-production piece!) - it all looks pretty fresh and clean in the pics!

Way to GO (Geaux), Mark!

Bob

Bob,
I like the suggestion about the seats--definately going to do that. I actually did dump a BUNCH of wash in between the slats, but it's still pretty light. Had given thought early-on to thinning out the underside and opening up the gaps between the slats, but wrote that off as too much trouble. I may yet go back and do that as I'm not completely happy with the way the slats turned out anyway.

May also try toning down the mags some, but I really needed something to weather on this build!

Completely agree on the colors of the hull. I've seen the photos, and the whole thing appears to be a pretty uniform shade of dark yellow with no camo. I do intend for the hull to be an ever-so-so-subtley-different shade than the gun mount, but close enough that the difference would be indistinguishable in a B&W photo.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words!

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good-lookin' Quad, Mark!

Way to GO (Geaux), Mark!

Bob

Bob,
I like the suggestion about the seats--definately going to do that. I actually did dump a BUNCH of wash in between the slats, but it's still pretty light. Had given thought early-on to thinning out the underside and opening up the gaps between the slats, but wrote that off as too much trouble. I may yet go back and do that as I'm not completely happy with the way the slats turned out anyway.

May also try toning down the mags some, but I really needed something to weather on this build!

Completely agree on the colors of the hull. I've seen the photos, and the whole thing appears to be a pretty uniform shade of dark yellow with no camo. I do intend for the hull to be an ever-so-so-subtley-different shade than the gun mount, but close enough that the difference would be indistinguishable in a B&W photo.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words!

Mark;

I could see some wash in there - maybe it's just a bit too light a shade... doing a black or very dark brown wash will get a better shadow effect?

I suggest NOT opening up that tray under those duck-boards - far as I can find from several good pics of relic units, it was indeed a metal tray, and NOT open such that one could look down between the slats and see the ground below.

About those mags: do tone them down a bit! When they "weathered" or wore, they actually just lost a little of the enamel paint (black, dark gray, dark green were all issue colors) which was worn away by rubbing, and the revealed bare metal would be a darker steel color. Some of these mags were "phosphate gray" and some were actually "blued" or similar metal-salts staining, and they would take on the look of a worn phosphate-finish gun-part (i.e., somewhat greater sheen and some darkening). Again, I think that the mags would have been pretty recent stuff and not battered field relics - these things were NOT generally shipped back from the front for refills, but rather refilled by crews on-site, so a rear-area trials vehicle probably got fresh stuff versus well-used.

IF you are considering wear to reflect a nearly-new prototype, I think you are pretty close as it goes right now. The places I would think of adding "more wear" would be doing some light black / dark steel wash rubbed around the hand-wheels (more dirt-stains than actual wear-to-metal)and foot rests and pedal, etc., and maybe doing some fine dry-brushing on exposed metal corners and edges (but keep this light, without any of those big chips and dings folks seem to (in MHO, way overdo) add to tank corners, etc.).

This becomes pretty detailed and "finely-tuned" as a weathering exercise, as you are trying to hi-lite tiny wear-areas where just a few boots have rested and a few hands have worked, as versus a "long history" of active use. The same will go for your hull... finely-tuned, focused tiny wear will really "pop" a nearly-new prototype in field trials, versus a used tank.

Bob
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 06:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the useful comments, Bob!

I did use a very heavy Burnt Sienna wash in the duckboards, but, yes, they are still much lighter than I want. Perhaps I can get some ivory black down in there without making too big a mess.

Hopefully, I can also 'restrain' the mags somewhat. My major mistake I think was trying to drybrush those with flat aluminum, which I know full-well produces too bright an effect. Why I did it, I don't really know since I almost always use some shade of grey to represent worn metal, the shade being a question of what the underlying metal is. In this case it probabably ought to be something just slightly lighter than my base coat.

And for the benefit of anyone new to Acrylicland, I find dry-brushing with acrylics to be a near-impossible exercise in patience/frustration. If anyone has thoughts on that subject, please share!

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 02:48 PM UTC
I've gone back and tried to incorporate all of Bob's expert comments with, IMHO, some modicum of success. Tell me what you think:

Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've gone back and tried to incorporate all of Bob's expert comments with, IMHO, some modicum of success. Tell me what you think:

I think it is definitely great !
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 05:41 PM UTC
Grazie, Giovanni!

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 08:50 AM UTC
Lookin' Good, Mark, Lookin' Good!

Let's move along to that hull, Pard!

Bob
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 11:32 AM UTC
Bob,
Thanks very much for the suggestions and encouragement!

I'm actually thinking I may need to set the Mobelwagen aside until the new sprockets arrive. I'll need those to get the track length correct, but I don't want to be fiddling around with metal tracks after everything is painted. Besides, the Hummel I got for the Pz IV campaign is really crying out from the shelf to get started!

Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 11:09 PM UTC
I entered the Campaign a little late but started on this DML Flakpanther on the 15th of November. This is the original version from the 1990's and Ive added Magic Tracks, and metal barrels. I have also fabricated some add on armor plating for the engine deck. I was able to completely build the kit in one weekend - Now on to the painting.

My good friend and I are both building this same kit and we discussed whether these flak tanks would be manned by panzerwaffe crews or Luftwaffe personnel like the Flak units attached to German army units were. I assumed the Ostwind, Mobelwagon and Flakpanther would be crewed by Tankers not Luftwaffe personnel but I just wanted to raise the question on here.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2014 - 03:27 AM UTC
Shawn,
Based on my cursory research, I would say the answer is, "it depends." From what I can tell, flak units that were part of a larger army unit were manned by Army personnel, whereas, the two Flak Corps were separate Luftwaffe units controlled at the theater level. At least, that's what my research indicates. Have not looked into which units operated that particular vehicle.

Great looking build so far!

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 04:23 AM UTC
Getting there....

I will leave the missile in near pristine condition, but really weather the launcher. About 50 decals to go on the missile next....

Blespooky
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 08:44 PM UTC
Sean, I'm sure the contrast of the brand new rocket and abused launcher will turn out great. Good luck with the decals

Bryan
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 06:38 AM UTC
Here's my entry. Have 2 campaigns just finishing up before I can start work.

mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 08:06 PM UTC
Since I did not manage to upload pictures "as I go" here a whole bunch as an album. Two of the Revel "Wiesel" AA system tanks (missile and radar, did buy the separat when they came out so no command vehicle)

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC
Some very interesting builds going on here. Looking forward to seeing the end products!

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 01:47 PM UTC
Pin wash to bring up some of teh detail on the missile and more weathering on the launcher:

All ready for a monster decaling session over teh weekend
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 02:41 PM UTC
That launcher looks way cool, Sean!!! The missile is a bit too clean-looking to me but I got the point about it being new and shiny...
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 01:23 PM UTC
Looks cool, Sean. It is going to be a nice contrast between the new missile and the worn launcher.

Sometimes the missiles were just transporter on a rack at the back of a truck, so could end up getting weathered. Even more if the missile sat on the launcher for long periods of time.

A busy launcher in Vietnam or the Middle East would probably not get weathered as I guess the use of missiles would be very heavy during action packed times.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 03:33 PM UTC
Maybe finish the blast deflector with a burned/blasted look so that you've got a new missile on the launcher to replace the one that was fired.