Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Campaign OP Market Garden
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hey Pete,

well I'm still hoping to get at least a couple of vehicles finished in time, it's gonna take a bit longer to get all 14 finished though methinks

cheers
Brent
canismalus
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 398 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice Jerry ....I build pretty quick myself, but that will be going some to get completed.

As there are a few that may need a bit longer I can ask for an extension. Those who wish for extra few weeks say aye.

Pete

I still want to finish by Sept. 25 (deadlines help one to focus, don't they?) but a little extra time might be useful, especially since I'm not the quickest builder in the world, so, aye!

Jerry
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 05:34 PM UTC
Aye for me as well, please!
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 03:23 AM UTC
I will ask for an extension for 2 weeks? That be enough?

Pete
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 04:28 AM UTC
2 Week extension approved by John.

Pete
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 221 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 02:51 AM UTC
That is great news Pete! Thank you.
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 05:32 PM UTC
Pete! That chute you painted looks so real. Excellent work mate.

Cheers

Todd
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 05:17 PM UTC
Thanks Todd, its for a mate, he looked in the box and decided to drop it on my desk at work, with a note.....PLEASE lol. He did give the same kit as a thank you though. I am doing a Fallshirmjager dio but with a twist. My mate is doctoring his to british paras.

Pete
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 07:17 PM UTC
Good grief! Now the ideas are flowing. I will have to get that kit now. Thanks Pete, Thanks a lot!
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 10:39 PM UTC
No worries Todd.

Remember guys a 2 week extension for this campaign.

Pete
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

2 Week extension approved by John.
Pete

That will help greatly. I started my build a few weeks ago when I was at the lake for the weekend
 photo P1090417.jpg
and this is what it currently looks like
 photo P1090426.jpg
life will keep me busy for the next couple of weeks so Im hopful to resume this in mid September
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 - 05:47 PM UTC
Nice Sal and looking good.

Pete
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 01:38 AM UTC
It's been a while but here's an update on the Universal Carrier and Sherman.

I changed the gunner figure for the Carrier. I didn't like the way the standing figure looked. I took the lower body of the kit's radio operator and added a torso from the spares. Cut and hacked and I got it to fit with a casual look. I really didn't want the gunner to be ready to fire. I want a more casual look for the figures.

Two of the figures from the Miniart British Tank Riders set. I decided to place these two in the Carrier. I had planned on using the seated figure but it fit funny.

Posed in the Carrier. Again, I want a relaxed, casual vibe.

The other three riders figures. These will be placed on the Sherman.

Speaking of the Sherman. Assembly basically done. Still needs touch-up, weathering, and decals.

Figures posed.

Decals. Figures mostly done. The faces are not my best. I'm not sure if I'll have time for the campaign, but I'll probably replace the heads for the big diorama later one.

Carrier with trailer. The tarp is bleh. I'll probably leave it for the campaign but remove it later and wedge a fuel drum back there instead.

Another view. You can see inside at some of the stowage.

The get him to stand in the cupola I hacked off one of his feet an added a scrap bit of styrene.
I planned on using the tanker holding the map from Miniart's British Tanker set. I decided to instead use a Tamiya British Commander from their Cromwell kit. That's just the initial base coats of paint. The figures in general are a long way from being done.

Commander positioned. I have him standing a little high in the cupola. To me it makes him look more casual and relaxed.

That's where I am right now. There's still a lot of work to be done on both the figures and vehicles. The plan is to finish these two as separate vehicles for this campaign. Then, they'll be later used for a larger diorama with another Carrier, another Sherman (I've actually already bought and built it), and marching infantry. I'm thinking about adding a dispatch rider on a BSA and maybe an officer's Jeep. The vehicles will be on the march, possibly the early hours of the Operation. Maybe have the officer talking to a civilian. I might grab another set of the Tamiya British Infantry but that might be too much.
The more ambitious option is to have the vehicles entering a town. I was thinking of taking Miniart's Crossroads buildings set and "un-damaging" the buildings and adding some sort of interiors. Add cheering civilians.

noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 11:24 PM UTC
Great work Alex.

Pete
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:19 AM UTC
Nice work there Alex! Okay I’m calling the FIREFLY done. Just waiting for paint now. Here are some pics.

I added the RB Models #19 set aerial base. It was the first time I have worked with these and the solder method instead of just super glue, I like the way it works and will use it more often.

I also added some of my own weld beads in some areas that I thought needed it.

I hope my paint arrives this week sometime. I will move on to the tracks,crew and Infantry.

Cheers

Todd

minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:24 PM UTC
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the extension. Work and another campaign stalled my Firefly, so now with the extra time I should be able to get it completed.

Thanks,
Stephen (Minas-Ithil)
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:16 PM UTC
Todd very nice detailing on the Sherman.

Stephen you are welcome, look forward to seeing your work progress.

Pete
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 08:54 AM UTC
Alex, what colour did you use for the Sherman? It's quite a nice bronze green as opposed to OD. I've got a couple of British bits to spray and like that shade.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 02:12 AM UTC
Karl, I used a light coat of Poly S British Brown Drab over a base coat of Testors Dark Green.

Update: I began drybrushing. I used light brushings of olive green and dark tan after a light wash of black.

I added the markings. I based them on a Guards vehicle on display at the Imperial War Museum. The decals came from the

spares.

Added the three infantry to the rear deck to plan out stowage. The big air ID insignia is probably going to be covered up.

Stowage. I used a 105mm ammo crate. I cut it in half and hid the two sections under a tissue paper and white glue tarp.

The tarp was painted olive green.

The Sherman done.

But what about the Universal Carrier? I'm my biggest critic and I debated including or pulling it. I just wasn't happy how

the figures looked. I even removed one from the back. I decided to post the finished pictures of it.

So those are done and now they'll be placed with another Sherman and Universal Carrier ...and a bunch of other stuff...for

a diorama....hopefully I'll start on next year. I'll repaint the other Sherman from Free French markings to a Guards

vehicle. I'll probably have the collumn passing through a town during Market Garden. I'll probably have a good number of

celebrating civilians. I'll rework the figures to reflect their reactions and interactions to the celebraing civilians. I

want the vehicles to be traveling through the diorama as opposed to being posed in front of a building or two.

Those are done and I'll upload a finished picture of the Sherman to the Gallery. I am not adding a picture of the

Universal Carrier. Thanks for the campaign and nice work guys.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 04:19 PM UTC
Well done Alex, that will look superb dio wise, will you have a crowd surrounding the troops as they walk through the town, with flags waving and people dancing and ladies riding on the tank kissing the squaddies............oops taken that a bit too far lol. Thats something I would end up doing

Well done to all participants and thanks for taking part. Just over a week left for those who need to finish off.

Pete
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 06:18 PM UTC
Hello guys, here are several pictures of my entry for this campaign:

My brief explanation can be seen by following this link:"Allied Infantry Set: 2nd SAS Regiment"

Cheers

Garry
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well done Alex, that will look superb dio wise, will you have a crowd surrounding the troops as they walk through the town, with flags waving and people dancing and ladies riding on the tank kissing the squaddies............oops taken that a bit too far lol. Thats something I would end up doing

Well done to all participants and thanks for taking part. Just over a week left for those who need to finish off.

Pete

That's my plan. I want a scene typical of a town being liberated. The twist here is that liberating forces are dashing through and don't have time to stop. I've some civilian figures but hope to pick up more to make a respectable crowd. I probably won't start on the dio until next year and even then I'll probably work on it as a side project. I've given myself a pretty busy build season next year.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 02:45 AM UTC
Cool Alex post pics as you go please I woulld like to see the progress.

Garry nice figures, you cant go far wrong with Dragon figs.

Pete
PanzerGeek
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 12:47 AM UTC
Nice work Alex! Nice work on your figures so far Garry. Well I have the paint and markings on the Firefly, but I’m not totally happy with the paint from Hataka. I think it is a bit too dark for SCC #15 and it came out tacky. I will have to live with it though, time is too short to sort it out. Now I will move on to the detail painting and weathering.

Cheers

Todd
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 10:56 AM UTC
Well... Great... I didn't get my photos submitted to the gallery... I know I finished before the deadline though.