Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Campaign OP Market Garden
66fastback
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is starting to annoy me.. Does anybody have an answer for my two questions?

Was the M4A1 used in Market-Garden?
And was the Piper L-4 used in Market-Garden?

Were any of these used during the Battle of Arnhem at all?

patience is a virtue and most needed with this hobby to

Look at this page
http://www.airborne-eerde.nl/1944eng.html

A couple of pictures down on this page you see a picture named
"Sherman tanks in Veghel"
If you click on it a much bigger version will open.
If I'm not mistaken it looks like your M4A1 was there as part of the 44th Royal Tank Regiment

Eric

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 - 12:56 AM UTC
Thank you for the link. And in. Y opinion, although virtuous, patience is different when working with kits and working with people.

And when you look back, I first asked about the M4A1 6 days ago.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey everybody -

Eric has kindly alerted me to the fact that the Tiger IIs of the 506. schwere Panzerabteilung didn't see action in Elst until AFTER September 25th. I took a look at Marcel Zwarts book on German armor in Arnhem (ummmm, maybe I should have double-checked before ) and they weren't committed to the battle in Elst until October 1st.

This means I'll have to either switch companies and put my Tiger II in Oosterbeek (where they saw action on Sept. 25th) or switch vehicles entirely and do a Panther G of 1./SS-Pz.Rgt. 10/Kampfgruppe Knaust, which arrived in Arnhem on September 21. Either way, I'll decide before this show gets on the road tomorrow.

Jerry

Jerry, could you possibly provide me some information regarding any of the Panther G of 1./SS-Pz.Rgt. 10/Kampfgruppe Knaust? I have been unable to find any confirmed pictures of Panther G's during OP Market Garden. I appreciate your help.

thanks

Dave
Copperalis
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 - 07:09 AM UTC
I'm in for this one was well. I haven't done a campaign for a year or so. I might need to sort out a new image hosting facility, but the box art and unstarted sprue images should be at the bottom of this post.

I have found these two unstarted paratroopers - the middle pair looking at the map from the Masterbox "British Paratroopers WWII - Where's that Damn Bridge?" set. I also have some Verlinden accessories so might add these. At the moment, as a minimum, I am thinking of changing the beret to a helmet.

This autumn I am trying to finish up a few small projects and attempting to improve my figure face painting, so these fit in nicely.

Removed by original poster on 09/20/14 - 08:03:13 (GMT).
66fastback
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 - 08:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[
Jerry, could you possibly provide me some information regarding any of the Panther G of 1./SS-Pz.Rgt. 10/Kampfgruppe Knaust? I have been unable to find any confirmed pictures of Panther G's during OP Market Garden. I appreciate your help.

thanks

Dave

Dave, Just a bit of info I have from a Dutch hobby historian that lives in the operation area. I could not find any conformation on the types of panzer v added to kampfgruppe Knaust maybe Jerry has more luck.

There is plenty of proof of G's around Veghel in the 107 Panzer Brigade.

The 107. Panzerbrigade was formed and trained in Poland in the relative long period of 6 weeks
During this time the Brigade received all brand new material: loads of SPW's (154 in total), 36 Panther G's and 11 Jagdpanzer IV L/70. The few battle pictures available do not show any camo on any of the tanks the general idea is that in the very short time between receiving the tanks and deployment there was not enough time to paint any camouflage.

Jerry any thoughts on Knaust? There is one common ground that keeps popping up. Also in the case of Elst the Panthers where brand new.

Eric
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC
Eric,

thanks for the information. I am finding any information regarding Panther G's especially pictures so if anyone has a picture please share.

Jerry is also helping me with research material. That being said, below is my subject for this Campaign.

I would like to include this in a diorama if I can find a picture that is easily reproduced. If not, than I will stick with a stand alone tank with crew.

So looking forward to getting started and seeing what everyone is going to build.

thanks again for any research information.

Dave
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC
Found this site while doing a bit of research. Probably of more use to people building Jerry stuff but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.defendingarnhem.com/bridge.htm
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 09:20 AM UTC
Due to a stomach virus, I missed the convention. Unhappy, but it does allow me to spend a little extra on this build.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm in for this one was well. I haven't done a campaign for a year or so. I might need to sort out a new image hosting facility, but the box art and unstarted sprue images should be at the bottom of this post.

I have found these two unstarted paratroopers - the middle pair looking at the map from the Masterbox "British Paratroopers WWII - Where's that Damn Bridge?" set. I also have some Verlinden accessories so might add these. At the moment, as a minimum, I am thinking of changing the beret to a helmet.

This autumn I am trying to finish up a few small projects and attempting to improve my figure face painting, so these fit in nicely.

Hi Andrew,

The box art shows some paras in the UK.
In 1944 no Dutchman would be hunting in the Arnhem or Oosterbeek area since from the arrival of the first plane fighting between Germans and airborne troops started!
So, a hunter with a gun would be a dead man within minutes, I guess.
Furthermore, the phone box at the background is a UK type.

So, use the para's and leave the rabbit and hunting rifle in the spare box.
Or change the setting,

P.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 02:06 PM UTC
Andrew, I'd skip using the Verlinden accessories with the MB figures. The MB figures are a cracking build but the problem you'll have is two different scales. The MB ones are a true 1/35th and heightwise they work out as your average size squaddie. Verlinden are 54mm which equates to 1/32nd so the weapons will look huge or as if they're being used by kids...lol. I made the mistake of buying the VP Para carrying another Para over his shoulder. He dwarfs the other figs so never used him as he appeared to an 8 foot gargantuan man. Shame as it's a nice figure. Bronco have released what appears to be a fantastic set of Airborne gear so I'd go for that one if I were you. I've been lucky enough recently to get the DML Allied weapons set off ebay which has got a couple of MkV stens and a couple of the Lee Enfields with scopes so look out for that one as well. There's a pile of other useful weapons in there to go in my spares so it was worth it just for a few weapons for this campaign..lol
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 11:35 PM UTC
Andrew: If you are in need of British weapons, I have quite an assortment from Dragon kits. I can send you some.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 02:57 AM UTC
Andrew both MB kits are nice to build and turn out pretty good. I have built both and will be using them in my diorama to some degree. Welcome aboard, also to you Allan.
There looks to be some great kits and I can't wait for you all to start putting pictures of your work on here. Mine will be a short while before I start, waiting on other kits to arrive.

Good luck everyone.

My apologies to any new comers I have not mentioned.

Pete
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 07:56 AM UTC
Update. I got more work done yesterday than I had expected. The build is pretty straightforward and pretty much goes together well.

Running gear.

Drive axle and wheels.

Body. I don't care for multi-piece hulls but this one goes together like a dream. Not bad for a kit first issued in the mid-70s.

Driver and gunner seats

Engine compartment.

Exhaust. I'll leave the ends off until later.

Engine compartment added. Suspension and drive axle mounted.

Some more added details to the crew compartment. I left the radio off for painting and am debating on leaving it out entirely. Hitch sub-assemblies ready for paint. And those are two of my other Universal Carriers in the background.

That's it for now. My plan is to build this Carrier for this campaign. I'll probably use it in a larger diorama using other kits I've already finished. I've got another Carrier and I have a M4A4 in French markings I've been waiting to give a facelift. I'll tweak the figures a bit. Snce the build is going so quickly, I might actually rework some figures for this campaign's Carrier.

Speaking of markings, trying to decide on markings. I've got the decals from both the original Carrier kit and the Forced Recon rebox. I want to keep them in line with the M4A4. I don't know much about British markings, so I'm open to suggestions. Is the number on the fender a vehicle number or a unit number? ex. "54" on the finished Carrier in the background of the above picture.

erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 02:15 PM UTC
Alex, it's a weird one.It's an arm of service and unit identifier. Infantry and armoured divisions usually had the red square. The white numbers denote which unit it is within that division. For instance if it was a Signals unit the square would be white in the top half and navy in the botton. Artillery, red at the top navy at the bottom. Now the numbers correspond to either a specific regt or battalion serving within that division. So for instance your Guards Bren Carrier has the red square with 54 so that designates a vehicle of 1st Motor Battalion of the Grenadier Guards which is part of the Guards Armoured Division. It gets more complicated with independent brigades etc. A good reference is "From D Day to VE Day.The British Soldier Vol 2" by Jean Bouchery (Histoire and Collections) which is an excellent book. I've had both of them for some years. Volume One is uniforms, weapons and kit. Period photos obviously in B&W but modern colour pics of uniforms and kit so a definite for modelling reference. The second volume is organisation, armament, tanks and vehicles so once again a fantastic reference in that you can mark your vehicles accurately for specific time periods/units in a particular battle. If say you were doing XXX corps you could mark up your second carrier the same as your Guards one in the background (obviously with a different serial number..starts with a T as it's a tracked vehicle. Each class of vehicle has a different prefix)and you'd have two carriers from 1st Motor Battn of the Grens as they were part of XXX corps and participated in Market Garden. I hope that's been of some help as it's something not a lot of people take a lot of notice of but is very important for historical accuracy re placing units. I bought some decal sheets from Accurate Armour some years ago with a nice selection and I have a feeling Archers do them as well.
canismalus
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 398 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 12:00 AM UTC
Dave and Eric -

Sorry for the delay in answering your posts - lots of family obligations kept me away from the computer (and the workbench) all weekend. Like you said, Eric, patience is a virtue for all of us!

Anyway, I would gladly post those pictures I have from Zwarts' book of 1./SS-Pz.Rgt. 10/Kampfgruppe Knaust's Panthers (the ones of them roaring through Arnhem on Sept. 21st are probably most interesting for you, Dave), but I just have one question for you all: Am I allowed to just post pictures from a book on this site? I've seen people do this on Armorama after adding the legend "for discussion purposes only", but is that enough to avoid copyright/lawyer-type issues? I certainly don't want to get the site and myself into trouble.....

About Kampfgruppe Knaust it's safe to say that they used only Panther Gs and no As. I haven't been able to track down a specific reference for this, but all the sources I've seen matches what Eric said: their Panthers were all brand new, since all these units lost so many vehicles in the Normandy campaign, and by that point no more As were being produced.

Jerry
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 04:50 AM UTC
Good to see things getting underway. These are the two Black dog figures I've started work on.

What I don't like are the open kit bags, the top with the Sten barrel sticking out just doesn't seem right.

More later.

Cheers

Al

Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 10:18 AM UTC
Thanks Erich. Given the kit I'll probably just opt to use different serial numbers.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 11:40 AM UTC
So..... Would a Piper L-4 be appropriate for the campaign?
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 12:18 PM UTC
David, good luck with that Tamiya Panther with the Eduard photo-etch. I have one sitting in my closet, half built because the zimmerit on the hull fit poorly. Turret fit was perfect, though.

Alan, the figures look awesome.
PrickleHead
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 12:44 PM UTC
I have Italeri's Horsa just need to find id numbers for gliders that were at Arhem to change.

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

YES
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 08:48 PM UTC
Mike you're in with the Piper

Allan nice work on the figures buddy.

Alex Nice start on the bren gun carrier, are you making a dio for the campaign? As mentioned in the rules part builds are okay as long as they are part of something bigger.

My kit is in the post so should be able to start soon.

Pete
canismalus
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 398 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike -

I second that yes - check out my original reply to your question at the end of page 5 in this forum.

Jerry
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 10:34 PM UTC
Thanks Peter and Christopher, they are coming along.

Looking forward to the Horsa PickleHead.

Cheers

Al