Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Campaign OP Market Garden
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 568 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 01:19 AM UTC
LOL well the Bronco one is in the pipeline so maybe not too long to wait. That looks a neat layout Al, and I asked myself the same question ...........where the hell to put it once it's done.

Pete
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Peter,

The concept had been for one and 2 half gliders on the space, it's still a build I'd like to do at some point and I'll most certainly get the Bronco glider even if I just look at the parts in the box .

Cheers

Al
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC
If you want to give building them a shot,I've got copies of scaled plans for the Horsa, CG4a, and Hamilcar gliders Alan. From what I've seen of your work you could probably do them justice.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for the offer, I'd certainly be interested in seeing the plans. PM on route.

Cheers

Al
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 05:16 AM UTC
Now thats what I like to see Allan, doing it the hard way. Braver man than me lol.

Pete
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 01:02 AM UTC
Got started on the litter rack last night -- notice the singular form. The #$%*! front litter rack was warped and took a whole lot of coaxing to flatten out. That was the extent of my progress, one subassembly... Oh, well the majority of the kit is old new Tamiya, I haven't even cracked the box on it yet.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
hey all,

hope everyones build is going well. I have been moving along so wanted to provide an update. So far the photo etched zimmerit is going on well. Granted as Chris said there are some fit issues with the hull but it looks like I got a lucky batch as it is not so bad that it cant be patched with a little putty.

I bought several AM kits to use on this build but have deviated from my original plan. I bought the Griffon PE rear storage bins but it does not fit well with the Eduard Zimmerit PE that comes with the kit. So either the kit rear storage bins are oversized or the Griffon PE are too small. I would venture that the Tamiya kit bins are oversized. Guess I will use the bins on my Jagdpanther instead.

Anyway, so far the fit for the kit parts is good. I have not had to use any putty and the mold seams are minimal.

Since these Panther G's were essentially new it eliminates the possibility of showing a lot of wear and tear. Still not sure how I will present the final but there will be a couple of figures to go with it.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Dave
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 11:40 AM UTC
I'm expecting the etch to arrive, tomorrow. I just placed an order for brass skids and will be placing another for paint and decals on the 16th.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 09:53 PM UTC
David-Nice start there buddy, Zim looks good and will look superb with paint on.

Matt- Looking forward to you Sherman, did you source the decals for the one you are depicting?

Pete
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 10:08 PM UTC
I will be getting all of my decals from Archer. The only marking I am unsure about is the yellow circle. According to the site posting the vehicle I am depicting, there should be a "1" inside the circle. However, I can't find this. I may add spare tracks to the turret, in an attempt to dodge the bullet.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 09:02 AM UTC
Cute move Matt.
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 11:39 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I just enlisted in this campaign. I'll build one or more of these figures. Can't wait to see your builds. Ignore the date on the photo, I'm using someone else's camera. I hope you can make the date out on the newspaper.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC
Got the etch, today.

Expect updates, by tomorrow.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 07:04 AM UTC
I have done further research into the 11th Armored Division. Every photo I have come across depicts triangles, rather than circles being used. No numbers are present. I am having to assume that the tank I am representing is not entirely accurate, in this matter and will adjust the build to suite.
66fastback
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have done further research into the 11th Armored Division. Every photo I have come across depicts triangles, rather than circles being used. No numbers are present. I am having to assume that the tank I am representing is not entirely accurate, in this matter and will adjust the build to suite.

If you refer to the circle on the front with 30 in it?
It is a vehicle weight classification. Bridges have/had the same circle with a number. If the number matched or was higher than the vehicle's number the bridge could hold the weight of the tank. And yes I've seen them.

Eric
66fastback
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 04:45 PM UTC
To bad I can't update my own original post after a while.

So Matt I don't really see a problem here, all the markings on the Hybrid firefly refer only to it's designation.

11th armor division (yellow with black bull)
2nd armored regiment (red square with 52)
C squadron (open yellow circle on side)a triangle stands for A squadron
and then the yellow circle front right that indicates the weight.
Why some have this and some don't beats me, also why some show 30 tons and some 40 tons???. But it doesn't effect the tanks history maybe it's something that just got painted over most of the time. Seems kind of logic that the crew knew what the weight was by heart.

Eric
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To bad I can't update my own original post after a while.

So Matt I don't really see a problem here, all the markings on the Hybrid firefly refer only to it's designation.

11th armor division (yellow with black bull)
2nd armored regiment (red square with 52)
C squadron (open yellow circle on side)a triangle stands for A squadron
and then the yellow circle front right that indicates the weight.
Why some have this and some don't beats me, also why some show 30 tons and some 40 tons???. But it doesn't effect the tanks history maybe it's something that just got painted over most of the time. Seems kind of logic that the crew knew what the weight was by heart.

Eric

Eric's correct

Al
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 11:04 PM UTC
Thank you for the information. I was referring to the open yellow circle. I still have not found any photos with a number located within this circle.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

Bridge Classification circle, normally contained 30 for a Sherman.

11th Armoured seem to have used a round ring yellow circle with black or red numbers inside. You see it on the Cromwells and it is probably a Division thing, being a ring rather than the normal yellow circular disc. The dark numbers inside make it hard to pick out the bridge classification but 30 for a Sherman would be normal.

Cheers

Al
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt,

11th Armoured seem to have used a round ring yellow circle with black or red numbers inside. You see it on the Cromwells and it is probably a Division thing, being a ring rather than the normal yellow circular disc. The dark numbers inside make it hard to pick out the bridge classification but 30 for a Sherman would be normal.

Cheers

Al

I have done more research and found photos of numbers in the ring. However, they are definitely not red or black.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 02:53 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Don, look forward to seeing those figures, I have them in my stash too. Not sure if I will use them though.

Matt You seem to have picked a challenging build with regards finding info. Thanks to our knowledgeable friends here it looks like you are on the right track (no pun intended) Look forward to seeing your build.

Pete
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 03:43 AM UTC
hey ya'll

so after much contemplation I have decided that I am not going to replicate a Panther G from either of the SS Panzer Divisions but from Panzer Brigade 107 which fought around Hells Highway. Specifically Tank 311 when they cut Hells Highway on 22 September 1944. Below is a picture of the tank that I am going to replicate.

I got this out of the Osprey Book Operation Market Garden written by Steven J. Zaloga.

I am going to put this in a Dio but it will only contain the one tank and not the lorry that is burning in the back of the picture. Maybe once I gain better skills I can take a shot at replicating battle damage but right now I believe it is beyond my capabilities.

Any comment regarding my plan are always welcome.

More to follow

Dave
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 04:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Matt,

Cheers

Al

I have done more research and found photos of numbers in the ring. However, they are definitely not red or black.

Hi Matt,

White was normal but if you found what you're looking for then great. Those I saw on their Cromwell's were dark in colour so red or black would be my guess in that case. What's you interpretation of the example you found? Can you post a picture for reference?

Thanks

Al
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 05:01 AM UTC
hey all,

hope everyones build is going well. Well I have some updates, the Panther is moving along smoothly. Very little difficulty in parts fit and adding the Eduard PE parts. I recently built the INJ Musashi using Eduard PE and was disappointed in the PE. I must say that the Eduard PE for this kit is outstanding.

I should be in a position to start shooting paint by the end of the week.

I did replace a handle using brass rod, I like how it looks so I might use that as common practice in the future. Definitely easier than having to shave down the mold seams on small fragile plastic handle bars.

All that being said upon further reflection I will incorporate this tank into a diorama with another tank. I am participating in the Panther Campaign that starts in a couple of days and I was going to build my Jadpanther but the vision of this tank sitting alone without figures does not sit well. So on to another plan and another Panther G.

Thanks for looking and as always I ask for feedback and advice to make my builds better.

Dave
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
hey all,

quick question, does anyone know of a kit that represents the lorry seen in the picture I provided earlier in this thread? I may go a head and attempt to build a battle damaged lorry to include in the dio.

thanks

Dave